Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf Shoes & Comfort

Options
  • 18-03-2017 4:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭

Hi,

On the look out for a pair of comfortable golf shoes for the summer months: from a little research the options are Ecco or Skechers? Any thoughts out there on either? Are there other brands I'm missing? Do the soles wear out quickly?

I wear FJ dryjoys normally and very stable but heavy.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

I have the spikeless skechers and imo are the most comfortable shoes I've worn.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,295 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Have had the same pair of Nike golf shoes for years now. Ridiculously comfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,457 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Just bought those Nikes and first impression is very good.

Very light and very comfortable and waterproof to boot. Not cheap though. But neither is Ecco which I had before (BIOM spikeless) and which are also excellent and very comfortable.

Didn't have any footjoys in a while but that snot saying anything against them. And I never had Sketchers but heard good things, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Russman

It's very subjective. Are you looking for spiked or spineless ?

For spikeless, I find the Nike FI Impact very comfortable.

For spiked, currently I'm using Adidas Tour 360 Boost and find them very good also.

Endless options really but I almost always end up back in Dry Joys after trying others......

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Ecco for me. Wouldn't wear anything else.

• Advertisement

First Up wrote: »
    Ecco for me. Wouldn't wear anything else.

They were/are very good and I had several pair over the years and will probably buy again, but they're not as outstanding as they once were.

They were/are very good and I had several pair over the years and will probably buy again, but they're not as outstanding as they once were.

Think so? I've not noticed a drop in quality. I have a few pairs - winter, summer, soft/no spikes. All great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

You really have to try them on to find the best fit.
    I've had cheap Adidas and Nike which were really comfortable.

I bought Skechers at Christmas but right shoe is very slightly too big and so slips up and down grating my heel.

I love Ecco and have 4 pairs of regular shoes but the 1 pair of golf shoes I have cuts my toes and heels as the fit is not quite right. The Biom range looks well designed but for the price would need to be a perfect fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

OP my recommendation is go shopping and find a pair you like. Maybe a few pairs. Then search reviews of those particular ones.

Otherwise you'll probably just have everybody saying every show is great!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭neckedit

The New FJ Pro SL is a sweet show, soft leather, very light and comfy.....
    Providing the suit your foot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭nebraska132

Thanks for the input everyone - with so many options it helps to narrow down the possibilities.

Was really thinking of spikeless shoes - am I right in assuming that once the grip in the soles is worn down it can't be replaced?

Thanks again

Was really thinking of spikeless shoes - am I right in assuming that once the grip in the soles is worn down it can't be replaced?

I presume that's the case but walking on grass isn't going to wear them out any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭nebraska132

I presume that's the case but walking on grass isn't going to wear them out any time soon.

Fair enough

Seve OB wrote: »
    OP my recommendation is go shopping and find a pair you like. Maybe a few pairs. Then search reviews of those particular ones.

Otherwise you'll probably just have everybody saying every show is great!

I would second that. Internet buying for shoes can be dodgy due to possible size issues. Especially golf shoes need to fit really well not just sort of.
    How often have you tried a pair of shoes in a shop and then you ask can I try that in half a size bigger? Kind of awkward over the internet that.

Think so? I've not noticed a drop in quality. I have a few pairs - winter, summer, soft/no spikes. All great.

No I don't think they have dropped in quality. But when I bought my first pair of BIOMs they were kind of unrivalled but there are a lot of really good spikeless shoes around now so they don't stand out as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Won a pair of Ashworth golf shoes last year. They're absolutely like a pair of slippers, lads... so comfortable...

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭golfguy1

Skechers for me as they come with 2 yr warranty.
    Ecco no longer come with waterproof warranty so now hugely overpriced for Irish golfers Imo.

Always used to wear fj dry joys but as someone earlier posted they are quite heavy and only 1 yr warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Eoinyh

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    Won a pair of Ashworth golf shoes last year. They're absolutely like a pair of slippers, lads... so comfortable...

And 100% waterproof, pity the Cardiff 2 doesn't look as good as the first Cardiff. Great shoe,

Advertisement