Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Kodiaq tow bar

Options
  • 15-03-2017 10:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

I've ordered the Kodiaq Style 150hp 4x4 7 seater. Was told 2 weeks ago only the SKODA fitted swivel tow bar could be fitted at a cost of €850! After market tow bar would interfere with sensors and invalidate warranty. Sounded like upselling to me.

Was informed today by another dealer that this model (and only this model) cannot have a tow bar fitted. It can be fitted to the 5 seater and 190hp models, just not the 150hp 7 seater model. Has anyone else heard this??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,673 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

11RAY11 wrote: »
    I've ordered the Kodiaq Style 150hp 4x4 7 seater. Was told 2 weeks ago only the SKODA fitted swivel tow bar could be fitted at a cost of €850! After market tow bar would interfere with sensors and invalidate warranty. Sounded like upselling to me.

Was informed today by another dealer that this model (and only this model) cannot have a tow bar fitted. It can be fitted to the 5 seater and 190hp models, just not the 150hp 7 seater model. Has anyone else heard this??

There is one model that isn't type approved for a tow bar, bulletin issued by Skoda on it.

Probably is that model.

Edit - found the bulletin and it's that model so no Tow Bar.

Possible to change to the FWD DSG version instead, which can have a tow bar fitted?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 11RAY11

R.O.R wrote: »
    There is one model that isn't type approved for a tow bar, bulletin issued by Skoda on it.

Probably is that model.

Edit - found the bulletin and it's that model so no Tow Bar.

Possible to change to the FWD DSG version instead, which can have a tow bar fitted?

Thanks ROR. Can you post the link to the bulletin?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,289 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Any idea why a towbar can't be fitted to this model?

Screen shot of the bulletin.

411982.png

No idea why you can't fit specifically to this engine/gearbox/drive Combo. Possibly takes it over 3.5Ton GTW, or some sort of weird thingy like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 11RAY11

Thanks ROR

• Advertisement

Thanks for the info.
    Seems strange that a big strong car like that can't take a towbar.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

elperello wrote: »
    Thanks for the info.
    Seems strange that a big strong car like that can't take a towbar.

It's more likely to be some sort of EU type regulation related to having 7 seats instead of 5. Probably because the rear-most seat is 1.5mm too close to the trailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

I see that an aftermarket one is illegal, so not on this car, but in general, what would an aftermarket tow bar cost? Is it possible to say in general or does it vary a lot car to car?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,259 ✭✭✭✭fits

Seems ridiculous! Can see people getting caught out with that.

I see that an aftermarket one is illegal, so not on this car, but in general, what would an aftermarket tow bar cost? Is it possible to say in general or does it vary a lot car to car?

Depends on the car, but 350-400 would be a rough guide for most mainstream cars. That's after market from the likes of Towing Equipment, Murray Towbar, Malcolms etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭huey1975

This should be interesting. I ordered a 150hp 4x4 manual on January 27th. I made it very clear that I wanted a full sized spare wheel and a towbar. I wasn't pushed as to whether I got a 7 seater or 5 seater but salesman insisted that I buy 7 seater for its residual value. I paid a €16500 deposit and he quoted me €39500. I might tell him I want my money back when he produces a car with no towbar

Very strange that a company with a slogan like "Simply Clever" can't just say in plain language why their latest big model won't take a towbar.

You need to be careful if the car is still under guarantee. Some manufacturers stipulate that fitting an aftermarket towbar will invalidate the warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Casati

This is a piss poor position Skoda have put buyers in - the only manual 4x4 diesel Kodiaq doesn't accept a tow bar??? (unless you go for the 5 seat which Skoda accept won't be a big seller). My guess is that there is no real reason why this car can't accept a tower (and something like a Citigo probably can) other than somebody in Prague forgot to lodge the paperwork

Note - the factory swivel job looks great if you can spec one on your planned purchase as it includes integration with the parking sensors and also I understand comes with a different alternator (to accommodate charging a fridge from the electrics), as well as been very neat to drop and stow away

• Registered Users Posts: 1 peteuk

Price depends on whether you need a fixed towbar or detachable.
    These guys have them in stock etowbars.com/Towbars/Skoda/Skoda-Kodiaq-Towbars

Advertisement