Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2017 Cheltenham Preview Night

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Peintre Celebre

The super hilarious guy presenting this is cracking me up, what a hoot:rolleyes:

Who is it? Emmet Kennedy probably?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Yup, he's trying to be that james corden or whatever his name is

Always thought he seemed like a sad case. Tries too hard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Kevin Blake and Tony Keenan are good gallery and decent writers/analysts too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,774 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Chamo Bump
    RMc - Quick Grabem
    Did he say what went wrong with the horse at Exeter last time out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

No he didn't say but they mentioned it on the ATR preview there and Noel fehily will ride it in the bumper

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭madmoose

Any news on what Codd rides in the KIm Muir yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭mohican22

It's utter cringe, have been listening for the last 15 mins. Only reason i haven't pulled the plug is that it's silly season a week out to the festival and love all the Cheltenham chat:o Hopefully they stop trying to be "funny" and "were having the craic"

Thank **** I wasn't the only one thinking that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Anyone happen to note their handicap picks? Only heard Jamie Codds which were Diamond King & Tin Solider

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭jimjamcos

Anyone happen to note their handicap picks? Only heard Jamie Codds which were Diamond King & Tin Solider

Blake - Noble Endeavour

Boyce - Irish Cavalier

Keenan - North Hill Harvey, Storyteller

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Kevin Blake and Tony Keenan are very good pundits. Don't get the hate for them at all. The final furlong podcast is an entertaining listen every week.

Kevin Blake and Tony Keenan are very good pundits. Don't get the hate for them at all. The final furlong podcast is an entertaining listen every week.

Ah Kennedy is a bit of a bellend at times, like the whole "4 miler info" saga last year..

I think he plays a role. I still like a listen every week. Some of it is nonsense alright but I find it entertaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭PM me nudes

I think he plays a role.

Yeah, the role of a bellend

• Registered Users Posts: 23 jant2

Totally agree. Glad to hear the podcast is continuing for the flat season this year.

Eloquently put.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

:pac:

I like Blake and Keenan, good pundits but Kennedy is utter cringe! Laughs at anything, half of it isn't even funny. They could cut the podcast in half if they left the bullshít "banter" out. The posh bint on it isn't much use either!

SeanGraham.com Preview night on tonight in Belfast:

As ever we kick things off with the Supreme Novices Hurdle...
    Richard: Moon Racer represents the best value if he does rock up here. Best of the English form
    Gordon: Movewithtimes has a lot of experience. He'll do for me.
    David: Bunk Off Early is a classy horse. He jumps well. Hopefully he'll have a chance coming up the hill. Maybe not the best value
    Couch: Neon WOlf outstanding at Haydock. Elgin at 50/1 isn't out of it either.
    Noel: Neon Wolf would have to be very soft to turn up here. Beyond Conceit chance if it comes up slow. Scudamore likes Moon Racer a lot
    Brian mentions RIver Wylde form ties in with Neon WOlf and Altior. Nice each way price and is unbeaten

Arkle
    Noel says Altior could well be the best horse he's ever ridden! Couch says we want to see Altior v Douvan. Royal Caviar without the fav
    Brian again gives a good word for Royal Caviar without. David completely disagrees! Look for one that might drop in he says and come late
    RIchard: A Hare Breath has a good cruising speed. He could come round the back and pick up the pieces for without market

Champion hurdle
    Richard: Yanwroth isn't straight forward,
    Richard: It's wide open. Hopefully they supplement Limini. Sent off favourite to beat Buveur D'air at Aintree pulled too hard
    Noel: Buveur D'air is a good horse, would like the ground to be on slow side. Not impressed with Yanworth at Wincanton. Limini is danger
    Couch: Brain Power has improved massively. Last run at Ascot form is rock solid. Buveur is very ground dependant. Can't have Petit Mouchoir
    Neil: Moon Racer has good form with the novices. Good course form. Dark horse if he rocks up. Not impressed with Yanworth at Wincanton
    Gordon: Yanworth keeps doing what he has to do. Solid enough.

Onto the Neptune. Richard not keen on Finians Oscar. Capitane has let the form down
    Noel: Neon Wolf P2P winner, trip will suit. Great turn of foot at Haydock. Finian Oscar done nothing wrong but form is terrible
    Gordon: Shattered Love and Brelade will both run here. Bacardys and Monalee good shouts for Ireland
    Couch: Neon Wolf is a cert. Time at Haydock fantastic. Great race for favs. Finian Oscar desperate form in the Tolworth
    David: Bacardys our main hope. Done well to win deloitte. Interupted prep. Big fan of Neon Wolf.

RSA
    Richard: Flat track bully is Might Bite. Short enough on his form. American really good at Warwick. Like his jumping. Been bit fragile
    David: Bellshill came out of fall fine in schooling. Hard to be confident though. Don't like the favourite. Like Whisper each way
    Noel: American runs if its a bit soft. Needs to improve on Wariwck run. No reason why he can't. Can't have Might Bite. Jumping shaky
    Couch: Can't have Might Bite at all. Acapella did a great time. Alpha has the best form in the race. Mouse is back in form. Good record
    Noel: Like Whisper. Likes good ground. Davy good rider for him. Wouldn't put anyone off American
    Brian: Whisper - four course wins, rated 164 over hurdles. This race will be run to suit. Very hard to beat.

Champion Bumper
    Champion Bumper: David: Didn't think we had good bumper horse at start of year then they all started winning.
    Noel: Quick Grab Em I will ride. Daphne Du Clos doesn't go

Ryanair:
    David Casey: UDS is a bet, in great form working well. Solid form round Cheltenham. ANy bit of cut in ground big plus.
    Neil: Fox Norton 2m 5f could improve him. Has to be a major player.
    Noel: UDS wins on slow ground simple. Josses Hill good at Huntingdon. Not as good going left handed. I ride Vaniteux. Each way chance
    Richard: Uxizandre good effort last time. Best of English Josses Hill jumping a concern. Empire Of Dirt great chance in Gold Cup
    Couch: Empire Of Dirt in the wrong race. If UDS gets taken on he's a bit of a sulker. Gordon wone an outstanding job taking on Willie
    GOB says what are the chances of O'leary letting you run Empire of Dirt in Gold Cup. Goron replies: SLIM!
    Stayers
    Noel: Not a very big horse but he just keeps on finding more improvement. Best performance the last day. (UKWIMH)
    Richard: Camping Ground improved on first run for Gary Moore, could be the dark horse in the field
    David: Shaneshill 3 seconds at the Festival. Jezki best form in the race. Beat the last day. Ground didn't suit. Fav hard to beat
    Neil: Fav just keeps winning. ALways does enough. Ballyoptic had a little wind op so might find improvement for the forecast
    Couch: Unowhatimeanharry reminds me of Big Bucks, Inglis Drever etc. Cole Harden getting 8 lbs last time and didn't get close. BOMBPROOF

Truimph
    Ronan: Impressed with Mega Fortune in Leopardstown. Gotta take the short ones on.
    Couch: Interested in what David has to way about Meri Devie, Impressed with her at Leopardstown
    Couch: Don;t think Defi has beaten anything. GOB think it's the Nap of the week
    Gordon: Mega Fortune is in good form but irish horses are beating each other. Quick ground a worry. EW Chance. Improved for headgear
    David: Huge fan of the fav. Irish have all ran against each other and beat each other. No outstanding Irish. Defi done it well. Track helps
    Noil: Favourite is way ahead. I rode Charlie first time he was impressive but a fall last time isn't great prep.

Albert Bartlett
    Richar: West Approach made significant amount of ground in the Cleeve. Dropping back to novice company helps. Strong renewal of the race.
    David: Augusta Kate would of won the last day if she didn't fall. Goes to teh race fresh. Working well. Likes a bit of cut.
    David: Penhill isn't out of it either. Step up to 3 miles has helped his jumping. Kemboy also runs, nice spread. Agusta best chance
    Gordon: Death Duty I love him. Gallops settles jumps. Think the world of him. Respect Augusta, but at this stage he better than Don Cossack
    Noel: Death Duty a tough horse will suit hte race. West Approach very good form behind Harry.

Gold Cup
    Richard says there's no value on Cue Card. Not convinced with Native River. Horse that run on heavy are 0/79 on GC day
    Gordon: Djakadam a good thing in the Gold Cup. Better prep this year than last. Outlander shouldnt be good enough.
    Noel: Native River > Cue Card - Djakadam ran in good gold cup last year stonger than this year. Better prep this year. Take on top two
    David: Djakadam flying I rode him work other day. Will take a hell of a lot of beating. Cue Card has no chance
    David: More Of That outside chance. Won stayers Hurdle. Showed a bit of spark the last day.
    Neil: Native River very consistent will gallop of the hill. Djakadam is solid. Better prep helps.
    Couch: Djakadam has fallen twice out of four at Cheltenham. Cue Card can't win at 11. LAy him till cows come home. Native River for me
    Ronan: Will be 4 the field on the day. There will be a plunge horse though. Djakadam likely. Ruby not hard on him at Christmas
    Richard: UNderstand the NAtive River angle if it's attritional. More Of That not much racing. Great WOrld Hurdle winner.
    Handicap time:
    Richard likes Holywell (Ultima), Itsafreebe (novices hcap), Winter Escape NAP (coral Cup)
    Neil: Shantou Village won't go. Fornight behind in prep. WIll look at Aintree or Ayr
    Neil: Like Southfield Royale chance in Kim Muir. Did well in four miler last year. Form strong.
    Couch: Agree with Neil on Southfield. WEll handicapped. Romain De Sename in the Nov Hcap. Coral Cup best hcaped horse of week Consul De Thai
    Gary passes on good world for Rock The World, from Robbie Power trained by Jessie
    David: Yorkhill I think will win. Forget about first two fences of schooling, electric down the bank. Let's dance trip on short side
    Noel: Druids Nephew in the Ultima big chanceand is in great form. Divin Bere in the Fred Winter, won cosy enough last day.
    Gordon: Noble Endeavour has good form at Cheltenham. Running well. Apples Jade each way chance came out of the last day well
    Gordon: Tiger Roll on good ground would have a good chance at 20/1. No point running if it's soft
    Gordon: Tombstone if allowed will run in Coral Cup. Beat Jezki last day.
    Gordon: Mick Jazz runs in County Hurdle, if he settles he has a good chance of running well.
    Gary: Forge Meadows in Mares Novice. Pertemps - Presenting Percy. Noble Endeavour

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭PM me nudes

As has been said, Vanessa Ryle is useless and Kennedy just laughs and talks about the shite inside jokes relentlessly, the 4 miler and backing Moonracer.

I'm a fan of Blake, and Keenan to an extent.

That other fella they have on is another knob, the one that brags about being restricted, can't remember his name (Tony Calvin?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

Conflicted about Emmet Kennedy really

The banter and unfunny in jokes are painful, his muggish approach to punting irks me even more.

On the other hand I believe he is has the broadcasting background and the podcast is his pet project so he has done well to have brought it this far, get the ATR sponsorship etc. Really enjoy nearly all of the regulars and would miss it if it folded so fair play to him for that and wish him well

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭dave81

No he didn't say but they mentioned it on the ATR preview there and Noel fehily will ride it in the bumper[/quote

That bloody horse couldn't win a class 6 for donkeys, he cost me a nice few quid as he blew two nice doubles for me with a 4/1 and 7/2 horse up. Hard part done I thought. Leaving aside the bias, imo after what I saw the last day, he had no chance and owners are wasting their money bringing this fellow over. Not nearly anywhere near good enough

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭madmoose

Western Ryder is the one at the prices people should get on in that bumper seeing as the mare he was beaten by lto wont be going and it gave her 17lb the last day. His Ascot win was franked a little when Claimantakinforgan finished 2nd to the highly regarded Black Op the other week.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

As has been said, Vanessa Ryle is useless and Kennedy just laughs and talks about the shite inside jokes relentlessly, the 4 miler and backing Moonracer.

I'm a fan of Blake, and Keenan to an extent.

That other fella they have on is another knob, the one that brags about being restricted, can't remember his name (Tony Calvin?)

Neil Channing.

On the FFP, Blake, Keenan and Delargy are great to listen to. I get where you's are coming from with Emmet but to let it annoy you that much you stop listening to it is laughable. It's not like we're blessed with horse racing podcasts. Is there any other ones that people could suggest?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

Neil Channing is a spoofer of the highest regard, the fact people pay him to to tip them losers beggars belief.

He's an out and out degenerate and hasn't a clue about horse racing, as a racing fan myself I've tried debate a few inaccuracies of his on previews he's done on youtube in previous years for the festival and he just blocked me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Neil Channing is a spoofer of the highest regard, the fact people pay him to to tip them losers beggars belief.

He's an out and out degenerate and hasn't a clue about horse racing, as a racing fan myself I've tried debate a few inaccuracies of his on previews he's done on youtube in previous years for the festival and he just blocked me.

He's very annoying and obnoxious but is far from a degenerate.

• Advertisement

danganabu wrote: »
    He's very annoying and obnoxious but is far from a degenerate.

I'd have a degenerate gambler as someone who regularly backs anything at all to pass the time. He commented just last night on something I was listening to(pure ****e whatever it was) about how he'd be watching football matches and have a number of bets on it to pass the time. Hardly the behaviour of a so called pro punter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

In fairness he's a perfect example of where 95% of punters go wrong. Hasn't a breeze about Horse Racing or American football which he tips on but will make a profit year after year simply because he relys on his calculator and betfair to do his pricing for him and understands gambling markets and spams bad e/w etc. Just shows that knowledge the sport in question is the smallest necessity to being a successful punter, yet its the only part the vast majority of punters focus on. Also shows why having trainers/punters who couldn't price up a 3 runner race tipping at these previews is a waste while you'll have pro punters like Donn Mcclean being ignored

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

I'd have a degenerate gambler as someone who regularly backs anything at all to pass the time. He commented just last night on something I was listening to(pure ****e whatever it was) about how he'd be watching football matches and have a number of bets on it to pass the time. Hardly the behaviour of a so called pro punter.

It is the behaviour of a pro punter when the bets are consistently +ev and he continually makes a profit, can't stand the fcuker but the numbers don't lie.

madmoose wrote: »
    Western Ryder is the one at the prices people should get on in that bumper seeing as the mare he was beaten by lto wont be going and it gave her 17lb the last day. His Ascot win was franked a little when Claimantakinforgan finished 2nd to the highly regarded Black Op the other week.

Yep. I've him backed at 25-1. Very happy with the news that the mare doesn't go. I think his experience will stand to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

Id have the complete opposite opinion. He talks about value in the correct way as far as im concerned and having listened to him many times on various subjects (poker/betting etc) he is as knowledgeable as it comes regarding finding the profit in a race.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

He looks like the "coolest, funniest guy from the parish", dribbly lipped ****

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

danganabu wrote: »
    It is the behaviour of a pro punter when the bets are consistently +ev and he continually makes a profit, can't stand the fcuker but the numbers don't lie.

Cannot stand him either. Complete rambler on the podcasts, I can never get a coherent message from him. However, if he's hitting +Ev which is publicly verifiable then I guess he's doing something right. Still cannot listen to him

BumperD wrote: »
    Cannot stand him either. Complete rambler on the podcasts, I can never get a coherent message from him. However, if he's hitting +Ev which is publicly verifiable then I guess he's doing something right. Still cannot listen to him

Im not buying it at all. Apparently hes proofed but I've no interest checking. All I know is he's clueless when talking sport.

Timeform preview is starting now on facebook live.

Wouldn't mind listening to the timeform one any other way of hearing it for those of us not on Facebook

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

The sound is ****e on it.

Between the picture cutting out and the sound quality i couldn't stay with that any longer

The second half is recorded on different phone and much better quality.

Replay on FB

Had a quick flick through one or two vids from the betbright preview. Paul kealy and joe tizzard slurring their words good god they must have made the most of the free bar before going on stage

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Went to listen to the ATR preview and I see that absolute moron Emmet Kennedy is on it so no bueno.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Gregk961

Wouldn't mind listening to the timeform one any other way of hearing it for those of us not on Facebook

I only seen the second half and it was an hour of my life I could do with getting back. I wouldnt bother.

Gamebred wrote: »
    Went to listen to the ATR preview and I see that absolute moron Emmet Kennedy is on it so no bueno.

It's 2 hours. He only speaks /laughs occasionally. The canned laughter is hard but he's enthusiastic even if the private jokes are boring.People really do need to learn to simply filter out the small amount you don't want to hear. There are a few good snippets in there and plenty of entertainment. You'd hardly walk out of a champions league match if you didn't like one fella sitting near you or a player on the pitch!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

And you wonder why he blocked you!:D

Did anyone see the video of Davy Russell ringing a hotel in Cheltenham last night to see if it was raining for Un De Seaux?? :pac::D

https://twitter.com/BrendanH3/status/839269530471903232

Boyles Preview live on RTE 2FM Now

Paddy Power currently tweeting from their preview night.

They've a live phone interview with Willie which so far which has yielded that his horses may run in a horse race at festival.

Cheltenham Preview - Timeform 7th March - Manchester

Panel
    JL- Jamie Lynch (Timeform & C4)
    DB - Dan Barber (Timeform & ATR pundit)
    MD - Martin Dixon (Timeform & RUK pundit)
    BN - Billy Nash (Irish Editor)
    DC - David Cleary (RUK pundit)

Supreme
    DB - Ballyandy excelled in large fields - can't see it out of the first 3. Backed Ballyandy & Bunk of Early
    MD - Pipe wants Moon Racer here - owner keen on Champion. If turns up he has best form, easy to knock but if turns up very talented. Not strong on the race would do Cilos Emery e/w
    BN- Melon exceptionally well thought of - head & shoulders above Willies others. Would put up Bunk of early e/w if has to
    DC - Melon style over substance - Ballyandy & Movewiththetimes have best form - prefers Movewiththetimes.

Arkle
    DB - Altior wins bar a fall. (All agree) Flying Angel as a place bet.

Champion Hurdle
    JL - ratings Yanworth 179, Buveur Dair 178p, The New One 177, Petit Mouchoir 175 - thinks Cheltenham will suit Yanworth better.
    DB - Horrible weak race. Mytentoryours at 33s was 2nd in 2 better renewals.
    MD - Also on Mytentoryours e/w. Last years 2nd to Annie is best piece of form in last 12 months. Buveur Dair best of principles.
    BN - Petit Mouchoir not improved since novice days. Puts up Wicklow Brave e/w
    DC - Yanworth not convincing. Impressed with Brain Power, strong handicap form.

Other Races
    JL -
    DB - Henri Parry Morgan in the Ultimate off 142. NAP of the day is A Genie in a Bottle - could be 9/4 on the day.
    MD - Interested in Druids Nephew in Ultimate. Backed Rock Gone in novice chase & Two Taffs.
    BN - A Genie in a Bottle with J Codd in 4 miler. Sceauteur in the novice chase.
    DC - Likes Henri Parry Morgan too.

Neptune
    DB - Finians Oscar is the British Melon - too short on what he's done.
    MD - Neon Wolf better time & sectionals than The New One on same day at Haydock. Back it wherever it runs.
    BN - Bacardys a tough horse, fancies him to beat Neon Wolf.
    DC - Neon Wolf has everything you'd look for.

RSA
    DB - American put up best jumping display this year - needs soft though.
    MD - likes Whisper
    BN - likes Acapella Bourgois would want to see him in parade as could get upset. Alpha vibes good - could run well too.
    DC - Might Bite the outstanding form but suspect at the track - likes American.

Champion Chase
    DB - In the without Market would do Gods Own.
    MD - No one sees past Douvan winning. In the without market would do Sizing Granite e/w at 40s -probably only need to beat 2 home to be paid out.

Other Races
    DB - Ivanovitch Gorbatov could be a plot for Coral Cup - refuses to accept he's as bad as he's shown.
    BN - Carter McKay for the bumper - he thinks best bunch of bumper horses Willies had for a while. Sweet on Carter McKay in bumper best bet of dat two.
    DC - Consul de Thaix in Coral Cup - ties in with Brain Power. Watch out for Sausalito Sunrise in x-country.

JLT
    DB - Nasty race - Yorkhill wins if shows his form. Can't see anything else to take it on with.
    MD - Yorkhill could be a bit bigger early on the day. Should win.
    BN - Yorkhill best horse in the race - class act very hard to beat.
    DC - Tricky race - doubts about Fav but few alternatives.

Ryanair
    DB - Thinks O'Leary will run others to ensure a strong pace for Empire of Dirt. Sub Lieutenant to take on Un de Sceaux. UDS is a Massive price - usually 5/4 or less.
    MD - Un de Sceaux won't be bigger than 6/4 on the day - one of the best bets of the meeting.
    BN - Thinks Un de Sceaux is best horse and can be dropped in now - doesn't need to lead.
    DC - Un de Sceaux best horse in the race, can't understand why it's drifting in the market.

World Hurdle
    DB - UNWIMH must be the banker of the meeting. Has backed Ballyoptic e/w but not hopeful now.
    MD - UNWIMH could go off odds-on. Improved massively this year - looks a class act. Best of the British and unsure the Irish have anything to trouble him from a win prospect. Maybe Nichols Canyon e/w if it turns up.
    BN - Cant see Shaneshill beating UNWIMH. Unsure on Jezki's stamina.
    DC - UNWIMH has few chinks in his armour. Clear form pick -can't see any flaws.

Other Races
    DB - Impulsive star very impressive last time - watch his Exeter run.
    MD - Impulsive star in the Pertemps will be charity bet. Will be a graded horse in future. Aubusson for Nick Williams is well handicapped but might want soft.
    BN - Live Irish chances with Jury Duty but others seem harshly handicapped. Glenlow of Gordon Elliott's could be he one - watch if he gets in. Whatever Willie runs will win the mares novice & gives a shout to the Crafty Butcher in the Kim Muir.
    DC - Squoateur could be in Kim Muir & Heron Heights looks plotted up for Kim Muir.

Triumph
    DB - DDS still a good bet - could be a Champion hurdle horse for next year. Conclusively the best horse in the race. Doesn't see anything else as a future champion hurdler.
    MD - DDS hard to be negative about. Would class him a better short priced fav than UNWIMH.
    BN - Mega Fortune to run well but doesn't think it will trouble DDS. Ruby could ride the mare Meri Devie in this - vibes are positive.
    DC - If the Charli Parcs that won first time out turns up- it would be a serious contender but a big If.

Spud
    DB - Wholestone the hear & now horse might not end up as good as DD but could be cut out for this.
    MD - DD could easily win but wrong price. likes The Worlds End at bigger odds. Fair bit of substance to his form.
    BN - DD is a true stayer no worries over 3 miles - always the target this race. Has a favourites chance but too short would rather back Monalee.
    DC - West Approach rated high as run in open company but fancies Willoughby Court if it runs.

Gold Cup
    DB - Thinks Cue Card will struggle to get home. Native River looks a true Gold Cup horse but backed Djakadam & More of that e/w.
    MD - Struggled with this, going round in circles. Cue Card is the best horse but Djakadam most solid. Not a good betting race
    BN - Native River is the standard setter - only worry had hard races each time.
    DC - Just watch the race - not a betting proposition.

Other Races
    DB - Winter Escape for the county hurdle. Off 140 has to back it. Le Prezien in Grand Annual.
    MD - Court Minstrel looks targeted for County. Off 145 & won at Chepstow off 149 last year.
    BN - Mick Jazz in the county. Brelade might suffer lack of experience in county. The Storyteller has serious chance in M Pipe but also Tony Martins Okatocks? If it gets in - been laid out out for something.

Charity Bets
    JL - Empire of Dirt & No Comment
    DB - Gods Own w/o Douvan & A genie in a Bottle
    MD - impulsive Star - Pertemps
    BN - Carter McKay - Bumper
    DC - Movewiththetimes - Supreme

• Advertisement

Cheltenham Preview Night – Haydock Park – Monday 6th March
    MC – Jonathan Doidge (JD)
    Henry Brooke – HB
    Micky Hammond – MH
    Andy Gibson – AG
    Kyle Drummond – KD

MC JD says they will review the Champion races first for each day followed by the other Grade 1s then the Handicaps.

Day 1 – Champion Hurdle.

HB – Impressed by Buveur Dair LTO at Sandown but Cheltenham is a much different track.
    KD – Would lay Buveur Dair. Feels it is an afterthought with the switch back to hurdles after Faugheen etc. pulling out. Will give 4/1 for up to £100.
    AG – Depends on the ground, if it is actual Good/Soft or a PR Good/soft. BD would like it Good/Soft. Noel Fehily good pair of hands and will guarantee a place. AG suggests backing BD in running as he is likely to be held up.
    MH – Petit Mouchoir has excellent chance but also likes BD. Has been told BD is working very well at home. This isn’t a vintage Champion Hurdle. Would lay Yanworth, not good enough.
    JD confirms Mark Walsh will ride Buveur Dair.
    HB – thinks you can discount Yanworth’s last win.
    AG – Yanworth is quirky, clouts a few hurdles and will trade higher in running. Thinks PM will lead and The New One will go after him but doesn’t think PM will last home (fade 2 or 3 out) so may be a trade off opportunity in running.
    KD – Brain Power has come on a lot this season and entitled to be here but will go off bigger on the day.
    MH – Says Brain Power has more to find and BD will win.
    AG – If Limini is supplemented it would be interesting, travels well but also has a bit to find.
    KD – The New One has no chance, move on.

Arkle

KD – Altior, so impressive and is a banker. Charbel E/W as an alternative
    AG – Should have backed Charbel in the without Altior market when he was a much bigger price. Was 12s now 5/2.
    MH – Yorkhill will go JLT, Altior was great at Newbury, will win. Race to sit back and enjoy.
    HB – If he could ride anything in the race bar Altior it would be Cloudy Dream but nothing will get near Altior.
    AG – Better ground would suit Cloudy Dream and the trainer says he has an E/W chance.

Supreme Novices

KD – Melon is so short as he is a Mullins horse and will give 5/1 on him.
    AG – Melon is a false favourite, also says due to the horse and jockey. His times are not as good as PM or even Let’s Dance, would oppose at this price.
    MH – Moon Racer has a chance if he turns up here. Melon has right connections and Mullins has several to pick from so he must think Melon has a good chance here. Thinks winner will come from first 3 or 4 in market.
    HB – Doesn’t think Neon Wolf will run here and Melon does has a chance.
    AG & MH both like Ballyandy.
    HB – Expects Ballyandy and Moon Racer to battle out the finish.

Mares Novices

AG – No Bet, Vroum Vroum Mag worthy favourite and will probably win.
    HB – VVM fan, won well LTO at Doncaster and he was ill.
    MH – VVM.

Ultima

KD - Taken next to nothing Ante-post on this race or the Close Brothers handicap.
    JD – Likes Rock the Kasbah.
    AG – Likes Singlefarmpayment but unsure if he runs here or the Kim Muir (until I tell him at the break!!). Ballylongford is a decent E/W at about 50s.
    MH – Likes Champers on Ice wherever he runs (here or the 4miler) and also the Druids Nephew both E/W,
    HB – Holywell E/W.

Close Brothers

AG – Backed Foxtail Hall. AG then mentions that Brian Hughes who hasn’t made it tonight is very keen indeed on his ride Double Ws and suggests and E/W bet. BH says he has a MASSIVE chance. Interesting!!
    MH – Would back Foxtail Hill.
    HB – Make sure you pick a solid jumper in this race as they go quick.

Couple of questions from the floor but nothing else really to note from Day 1.

Day 2 – Queen Mother Champion Chase

MH - Douvan worthy favourite. Gods Own e/w possibly but would back Special Tiara e/w
    AG - Backed Special Tiara e/w, good bet
    HB - Gods Own will plod on. Douvan is best horse in training and won't be beat.
    MH - Also likes Special Tiara e/w

Neptune

AG - Neon Wolf’s performance LTO was brilliant. Unknown around Cheltenham, would prefer soft ground. No bet for him. MDO to place is pushed
    KD - Couldn't believe his firm put up Neon Wolf at 3s in racing post. Wouldn't oppose him
    HB - Finians Oscar has done what is expected of him, gets job done. Loves Neon Wolf, won't have a problem with the hill.
    MH - Thinks Finians Oscar will make a great chaser in time. Neon wolf will have too much toe for them. Would like to see Death Duty in here.
    AG - the form of FO has collapsed lately.

RSA

AG - Might bite very good LTO but only time at Cheltenham didn't jump all. However he could quite easily make all.
    KD - in previous preview nights the Henderson team are really keen on Whisper as is Davy Russell who will ride. Also thinks MB may make all. If ground becomes testing then he would back American but he is a fragile horse.
    MH - Royal Vacation has a slight chance but Whisper is his idea of a winner
    HB - Royal vacation has won races due to others failing. Would listen to the Henderson yard over Whisper.

Bumper

KD - Dan Skelton keen on Cause Tojours. Currently about 10/1 e/w.
    MH - Ballyward e/w
    AG & HB - No real thoughts.

Coral Cup

KD - Elliot wants to run Tombstone here. Owner wants Champion Hurdle
    AG - Peregrine Run in off 142 e/w at 12s. Be suited by a fast gallop
    MH – Air Horse One e/w if he runs
    HB - Points out that all Elliott's runners will have a chance of winning. Bryan Cooper very bullish about his rides.

Fred Winter

JD - Likes Divin Bere.
    AG - If he had to pick one would go Dinaria Des Obeaux. Not strong but catches eye.
    KD - Long Call is extremely well fancied by Tony Martin yard
    MH - Domperignon Du Lys looks a likely improver
    HB - If on soft side then Brian Ellison’s Nietzsche is apparently flying at home

Day 3

Stayers Hurdle

AG - Unowwhatimeanharry is probably best value of all short price favourites. The fly in ointment could be quick ground
    HB - Harry has great profile but would back Cole Harden e/w
    MH - Jezki e/w may improve for step up in trip. Thinks Harry will win.
    KD - Can't put up anything up against Harry. Skinny but worthy price.
    AG - backed Cole Harden e/w at 14s and 12s. Warren Greateaux thinks CH is beck to best but doesn't want rain. Ballyoptic or CH without the fav could be the bet.
    JD - CH e/w as well.

Ryanair

JD - Antepost bet on Uxizandre, one of bets of week. UDS wants it soft.
    AG - UDS only proven over trip at Auteuil so would discount this although on his day is the quality horse on show. Would like to see Sizing John here. Empire of Dirt is of interest as won like a classy horse. Sub Lieutenant is a great placepot selection. Uxizande will be ridden aggressively and ideally wants a visit. Be best to back him and lay in running.
    MH - Uxizandre goes well here. Empire of Dirt e/w bet to nothing. Thinks UDS would go ok on good ground.
    HB - UDS will appreciate step up in trip. Uxizandre only one run in 2 years would be a question mark.

JLT

AG - Yorkhill has more ability than others. Bit worried about him jumping left and not straightforward but could well win easy and the price will look a snip after the race.
    KD - Will give punters 2/1 on Yorkhill. Wins unimpressive and would take him on.
    MH - That 2/1 offered by KD is best price in town. Little bit worried about his schooling round.
    HB - concerned the fence 3 out may catch him out if not timed right going at speed. Second half of schooling round was good. Charbel should run here.
    AG - could go either way with Yorkhill. Back Politolgue e/w may lay off on day. AG thinks Charbel will go Arkle. Top Notch may be of interest if he were a bigger price.

Pertemps

AG - Strongest Antepost handicap bet on For Good Measure e/w (Hobbs yard) got in on 138 and could be a plot.
    MH - Also likes For Good Measure. Thinks he should be rated 150 plus. Small Mention for Jury Duty.
    HB - Big fan of Presenting Percy. Won well at Fairyhouse. He's spoken to Davy who also likes him.

Browns Advisory

JD - Go Conquer if he turns up,
    AG - Quite by Chance be his placepot selection and should be in prize money
    MH - Sizing Codelco could be decent e/w
    HB - If Thomas Crapper gets in would back him. Wind been done.

Kim Muir

AG - Would like to see Singlefarmpayment here but was told in break he is going for Ultima (by me)
    KD - nothing been backed here Antepost
    MH - Bro in law Neil Mullholland Says his best chance at festival is Southfield Royale at 14/1
    HB - would look at Jockeys here. Jamie Codd, Rich Harding etc.

Raffle - I won a nice bottle of champagne. Money goes to injured jockeys fund.

Day 4

Gold Cup

AG - Cue Card a bit short now. Winner will be from Cue Card, Native River or Djakadam. Would do the one you fancy in a forecast with the other two. I.e. CC to beat NR and CC to beat Djakadam. Djakadam fallen here twice in 4 rides. Sizing John e/w chance. More of that and Bristol de Mai may outrun odds. Backed NR and Djakadam in multiples.
    KD - biggest loser for bookies would be cue card. Bit short now. Would be against Djakadam but respects NR. Good outsider more of that. Travelled well before unseating lto.
    JD Asks will Sizing John stay?
    MH - doesn't think Cue Card will stay up the hill. Keen on NR and will stay. Don Poli will stay but only for place money. Lay CC.
    HB - fan of NR, will stay and very impressive. Maybe e/w squeak for Smad Place
    JD - BdM similar profile to imperial commander but can't have him.
    AG - BdM more of a Betfair chase horse.

Triumph

MH - Defi du Seuil skinny price but a fair chance. Will be a quick pace race. E/w chance for Landofhopeandglory at 16s
    HB - Project Bluebrook e/w. Brian wasn't happy with him the last day but schooled really well since and 20/1 is a great price.
    KD - DDS price is about right. Someone walked into Corals and asked for £1000 e/w on Soldier in Action at 33/1. Corals said win only but ended up with £500 e/w at 25s. Master Blueyes gets better each race.
    AG - likes MB massive improvement in last race after taking a while for penny to drop. Has small win bet on Mega Fortune at 25’s. DDS shorter than he should be. Would be tempted to run him in supreme on his ideal ground. May dry out by Friday. AG also says Landofhopeandglory wasn't busy on his last run. Similar profile to Ivanovich Gorbatov.

Albert Bartlett

MH - Death Duty worthy favourite. Jack Kennedy says his festival banker.
    HB - JK is an exceptional rider and would take his word on DD. Likes West Approach e/w.
    AG - Wholestone is generally the better call, jumping is good and strong in finish. DD not proven at the trip or ground or even at course. Rather back both Wholestone and West Approach against DD. DD so short as trainer and jockey been talking him up. If it hoys down would back Ami Desbois e/w.

County

JD - North Hill Harvey is interesting at 7/1
    HB - Skelton very keen on North Hill Harvey. Harry Skelton will throw kitchen sink at him.
    MH - Peace and Co could run well
    AG - Watch Skelton's well handicapped horses. Winter escape e/w at 20s if he gets in. Gamble may appear on this one.
    JD jokes last time at a foggy Haydock Callum Bewley whacked his horse 16 times down back straight and no one could see him.
    KD - nothing of interest here

Martin Pipe

MH - The Storyteller looks to be laid out for this
    HB - Worst race in the festival to ride in. Everyone wants to be handy, it's carnage.
    AG - says this is a race to watch. If had to pick would go The Storyteller or No Comment
    KD - Owners of Sleep Easy had £3000 e/w on him. They don’t leave their money behind. Got to be worth a bet with nrnb
    AG - Brian Hughes likes Cloudy Dream, Cyrus Darius (champ Hurdle), Hawk High stepping up in trip and Project Bluebrook. His biggest chance is Double Ws who he says has a massive chance in the Close Brothers.

Grand Annual

MH - Vaniteaux e/w
    HB - Upsilon Bleu e/w (Henry will ride)
    AG - Was hoping Savello would run
    KD - good luck with this race!!

Bankers/best bets

JD - Foxtail Hill win
    KD - Uxizandre e/w in Ryanair
    AG - Cole Harden e/w or without Harry. Maybe Ballyoptic
    MH - Domperignon du Lys
    HB - Presenting Percy in Pertemps

Advertisement