Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New type of nuisance call--Dutch Revenue Service

• 16-12-2016 5:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭

I got a strange one this morning.

I'm well used to people from the "Windows Support Centre" calling me up and telling me to turn on my computer so that they can fix all the malware and viruses that have been infecting it (seriously!!) and I've even had some spurious calls from people claiming to represent my bank or my credit card provider (bit of a giveaway when they claim to be from the wrong card company) but this last one was a doozy.

It was a prerecorded message from somebody with a dodgy fake Dutch accent claiming to be from the Netherlands Revenue Service and giving notice that they were taking legal action against me. They gave me a number to call in case I should like to discuss/appeal the matter.

Now I have never worked or done business in Holland in my life so the Dutch Revenue can't have ANY interest in me. But even so, they would hardly approach me in such a transparently suspicious manner.

The number they called me from purported to be an Irish number but it's unobtainable when you ring back so it's clearly spoofed in some way.

Anybody else get this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭Ted111

Tell them you have a surprise witness and are looking forward to the day in court. Tell them that you admire Marco Van Basten, a lax approach to drug use and that the Tulip is in your top five favourite flowers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Butters1979

Tell them you watched Matlock in a bar last night. The sound wasn't on but you got the jist of it.

Maybe they're looking for Bono

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Maybe they're looking for Bono

But, but, but......I look nothing like him!

(Nor do I have anything like his cash)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

A great country, but some of those innovative Dutch based folks are probably at the forefront of creative ideas such as these, but mostly postal scams.

If you receive anything in the post from the Netherlands regarding tax refunds, charities, winning the lotto/cars or other cash prizes - keep them at arms length. Donkey rescue and humanitarian aid is also a popular list warmer. If you own registered web domain names, then sometimes they'll also offer to renew (take) that for you also. Apparently, once you name gets on their 'gullible list' it won't come off as it holds great resale value.

There was a recent story whereby a lady in the North gave away 180k to PO Boxes based over there. The mind boggles, but these things do happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,825 ✭✭✭Allinall

They got you to ring back so now have all your bank details and those of your extended family through your phone signal.

Not many people outside Eindhoven know about this technological breakthrough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,642 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Just tell them you are an Aphex Twin fan and they won't touch you with a barge pole.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭readytosnap

Scam has been going around a while usually the "Ireland revenue"
    there were plenty talking to Joe about recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

I had two calls from Indians claiming to work for windows,keep telling them i don't have a computer..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭readytosnap

I had two calls from Indians claiming to work for windows,keep telling them i don't have a computer..

just lead them on for 30 mins then tell them you have a mac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

just lead them on for 30 mins then tell them you have a mac
    Life's too short for that carry on ... I just shout F**K OFF at maximum decibels down the phone at them, wait for them to tell me to do the same, then I hang up. Seems to work.

• Advertisement

Allinall wrote: »
    They got you to ring back so now have all your bank details and those of your extended family through your phone signal.

Not many people outside Eindhoven know about this technological breakthrough.

Good job I didn't ring from MY phone then. What sort of idiot do you think I am?

We've all had those wonkers.
    Alun wrote: »
    Life's too short for that carry on ... I just shout F**K OFF at maximum decibels down the phone at them, wait for them to tell me to do the same, then I hang up. Seems to work.

A referee's whistle is very good in those situations too. If you want to save your voice :)

Advertisement