Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House break-in - what do I do?

Options
  • 10-12-2016 9:55pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 57 ✭✭

Hi

Yesterday evening I was coming home from my nephews christening and found the door to my house slightly ajar. I had locked it on the deadlock, my sister saw me lock it. I came home last night at about 3:30 am to find the door ajar and the light on in the living room and my bedroom. I definitely switched them off. Nothing was stolen, and the house was quiet. However, this morning, I heard something upstairs while I was having my breakfast, I was curious and went to investigate and found nothing, but anyway.

What should I do to protect my house. As I mentioned in a previous post, I have moved house to swords on Thursday and I did troll that forum, but this is not trolling, there are plenty of verifiable witnesses.

Instead of closing this thread, can somebody please tell me some other remedies to protect the house. I have an alarm, locks and a husky, Wilson. I don't know what the hell happened yesterday, i phoned the guards and they came and told me to get an alarm. They recommended phonewatch, is this any good?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭beechwood55

Is your alarm monitored? If not then consider getting one that is. We have Phonewatch (monitored) and are very happy with it - we have set it off accidentally several times and we get a phone call within 30 seconds asking if all is ok.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 57 ✭✭TheIT

My alarm isn't monitored. Just in the past few minutes I have heard another suspicious sound upstairs. It seems to be coming from the attic, but I don't usually go up there. It is probably nothing, but it sounded like footsteps.

I will contact phonewatch tomorrow and see what they can do.

As for the attic...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

TheIT wrote: »
    My alarm isn't monitored. Just in the past few minutes I have heard another suspicious sound upstairs. It seems to be coming from the attic, but I don't usually go up there. It is probably nothing, but it sounded like footsteps.

I will contact phonewatch tomorrow and see what they can do.

As for the attic...

Call the Gardai if you think someone is in your attic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

Were the locks changed when you moved in?

The locks weren't changed when I moved in, but they are chubb locks. I am going up to check in the attic in a few minutes, I have heard a lot of thumping and footsteps up there tonight, it's probably a bird or something.. I'm not worrying, last time I went up there was to get the tree down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Haithabu

I am going up to check in the attic in a few minutes
    Take Wilson with you

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭bigpoppa

Anyone else moderately concerned?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭PopTarts

bigpoppa wrote: »
    Anyone else moderately concerned?

No he's trolling.

Ahh grand

Right lads, I have checked the attic and nothing is there, can everybody forget about it and talk about security? I did notice something in the attic but I won't say it because I will be accused of trolling.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Right lads, I have checked the attic and nothing is there, can everybody forget about it and talk about security? I did notice something in the attic but I won't say it because I will be accused of trolling.

was it a dirty looking japanese girl walking crawling backwards on all fours?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Bells21

TheIT wrote:

Was it that huge scary cat like creature with glowing eyes that you posted about previously that you found up there by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭The_Chap

Get an alarm and change the locks, not sure what else you want anybody to say?

Would Chubb locks be strong enough to prevent a break in? I heard what I thought was breathing from the other side of the attic but I didn't bother investigating, I'm not trolling.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Plugguy

Why didn't you check?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,746 ✭✭✭degsie

Call Ghostbusters.

Toll free 555-TROLL-ME

I didn't check because it's a Saturday evening, I'm going out for the night in a few hours and the attic is relatively big and dark. I just have a torch.

The alarm I have now is an old adt, like I said I am getting it replaced to phonewatch asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭beechwood55

Surely it would have occurred to you to change locks when you moved in?? Thought that would have been obvious. Get new locks in tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭9or10

Would Chubb locks be strong enough to prevent a break in? I heard what I thought was breathing from the other side of the attic but I didn't bother investigating, I'm not trolling.

Chubb make a good lock but any lock is only ever as good as the fabric of the door and frame.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Change the locks ffs. Get sash jammers on your windows too. Lock each rooms door before you go to bed or leave the house. Some big hairy ****er could ass rape you all because you haven't changed the locks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭alexonhisown

if you heard someone breathing in the attic, have you called the guards yet? Otherwise i wouldnt go back to house later after your night out

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Don't bother with the locks. Not much good if the burglar is already in your house ;)

The house is over 10 years old, I don't think the locks have been changed. I will change them tomorrow, I'll also ask the guy changing them to have a look at the attic, I can still hear things up there.

Sure why would you bother investigating. Head out for a pint. Ridiculous thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 462 ✭✭wylie

Katie Taylor is fighting now....

The attic can be opened and closed from the attic itself, but surely if there was somebody up there I would know by now. I'm going out at around half eleven into town with the lads and probably won't be back until the army hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Johngoose

It could be haunted might want to call a priest as well as the lock smith...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

The house is over 10 years old, I don't think the locks have been changed. I will change them tomorrow, I'll also ask the guy changing them to have a look at the attic, I can still hear things up there.

Ah go away. If your scared, thats ok. But an attic cant be that big that it would take to long to have a look around it.

Bring a knife with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Two threads locked previous to this for trolling and a ban from a whole forum. You certainly have form.

• Advertisement

I will admit, I am a bit scared. To cut a long story short, my parents house was burgled when I was 8, held up at knifepoint, I nearly died with the fear. That is why I asked about the area being safe. I still can't get it out of my mind, that will never go away.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement