Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google 'Pixel' Phones (and other Google event stuff)

Options
  • 12-09-2016 8:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,003 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

US price for the Pixel XL is rumoured at $649 so if anything like the 6P expect it to be €699 or even €749 here
    https://twitter.com/RDR0b11/status/774999884915060737

• Registered Users Posts: 7,226 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

US price for the Pixel XL is rumoured at $649 so if anything like the 6P expect it to be €699 or even €749 here
    https://twitter.com/RDR0b11/status/774999884915060737
    Then it will drop after a six months of a year of almost no sales, as happened with all Nexus devices since they put the starting prices up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

they look really nice from the renders, and the specs seem to be flagship level for both, so quite excited. it does still look like the screen/bezel ratio isn't great though, which is annoying in 2016. If a phone doesn't have the scanner on the front they should really be doing better with it in 2016.

but if the 5" is the rumoured €549 which will probably be €600 here it's going to be difficult to sell them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Patww79 wrote: »

Wonder if they'll give us 4K HEVC or will they continue with the VP9 train...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

If the prices are that high, then hopefully they are finally releasing a no-compromise high end device. Always annoyed me that there was a never a good solid device with stock android. Samsung are one of the few that make decent hardware, but their bastardised version of android make it a total non-purchase for me. Here's hoping Google finally pull it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,391 ✭✭✭jonski

I could do with a new 7" tablet , I have the 2012 Nexus 7 and it's really starting to show it's age and was wondering what to get , price will be important though .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

Patww79 wrote: »
    Is there a source for this? My understanding was that there was no set date or even a reliable rumour as to when the Pixel (Nexus) phones will be announced/released.

Kavrocks wrote: »
    Is there a source for this? My understanding was that there was no set date or even a reliable rumour as to when the Pixel (Nexus) phones will be announced/released.

October 4th apparently

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

I think dropping the Nexus brand is the sign that they want these devices to be seen as "Premium".

Nexus has a stigma that they are cheap, good quality devices, but haven't been since 2013's nexus 5.

Calling the Pixel, lines them up with the chromebook that bares the brand, and sets us up for a high price tag.

I'm just saying to prepare for iPhone 7 type pricing in the EU for these devices :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

jester77 wrote: »
    If the prices are that high, then hopefully they are finally releasing a no-compromise high end device. Always annoyed me that there was a never a good solid device with stock android. Samsung are one of the few that make decent hardware, but their bastardised version of android make it a total non-purchase for me. Here's hoping Google finally pull it off.

What compromises did the 6P have?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭The Wolverine

Read supposed leaked specs of the XL on a couple sites wasn't much better than the Oneplus 3 if I remember bar maybe a snapdragon 821

But with a mega price tag I wonder what dream world they are living in after the price for specs for Nexus 6 and then the 5 and 6p follow ups.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭The Wolverine

Also apparently google plan on their pixel phone and tablet android versions to have exclusive software features compared to the same android version on other manufacturer devices.

Whether it will in this pixel or a newer one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

Thanks a mil. That must be the only Android Police article on the Pixel phones I've missed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

jacksie66 wrote: »
    They have to be the most boring generic slabs I've seen. I think I'll stick with my LG V10.

I like the design, simple, clean, understated and minimalistic. Nicest design since the Nexus 5. Sony are the only phones that have a cleaner look than this.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

Hmm so if these rumors turn out to be true seems like we are getting an iphone looking android for iphone prices especially if the pricing goes the same way it did with the last nexus phones.

http://www.gsmarena.com/google_pixel_will_start_at_649_rumor_claims-news-20593.php

I really had my hopes up for the smaller pixel being my perfect next phone but not at that kind of price. I hope the rumors are wrong.
    Seems like I could be looking towards sony, huawei or xaomi for the next phone I buy

I'm out. Was waiting on getting the oneplus 3 cause wanted to see what the new pixel phones bring to the table. Looks like the only remarkable thing about these phones will be their mediocrity and inevitable high price in Europe. Going to order oneplus 3 tonight

Its just rumors for now so maybe hold off just a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Looks like an iphone, horrible massive bezels.

Its just rumors for now so maybe hold off just a bit.

I think at this stage there will be no surprises hardware wise. The software might have some interesting features though

I think at this stage there will be no surprises hardware wise. The software might have some interesting features though

I mean on price as that price was touted before for the 128gb pixel xl

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

if the price of the XL breaches €700 here then I am definitely out, which is a pity... also because the LG V20 won't be sold here or the UK so the price of that is also likely to be quite high.

We'll see what two weeks time brings, but for now it looks like I will be waiting for another cycle with my One M8

Advertisement