Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Podcast Club] September 2016 - 99 Percent Invisible

Options
  • 02-09-2016 3:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,270 ✭✭✭✭

The Podcast Club is a monthly opportunity for us to share the podcasts we love with each other. Similar to a book club, you are encouraged to check out the episodes suggested and discuss them. If you wish to suggest a podcast, just post in this thread to sign up for an upcoming month!

Previous Podcast Clubs:

Okay, month 2 of Podcast Club. For my pick, I've gone with 99 Percent Invisible. It's a podcast focused mainly on design, but can from time to time delve into other stories too. Their motto is "Always read the plaque!".

First discovered this not too long ago actually, after watching a Ted Talk by the host (Roman Mars). It was about flags and flag design, and if you watch it it is essentially a visual episode of 99 PI. The video is here:

Once I started listening I ended up listening back to every single episode in the space of maybe 3-4 weeks, and it was great. The host is a bit of a public radio afficianado, so from time to time he will play a different show's episode, so it's a good way to find other interesting listens.

I will admit that from time to time some of the episodes are a bit dull, or could really benefit from having visuals in front of you (each episode has a corresponding page on their site to help with this though), but by and large it's a must-listen for me.

Some key episodes that I loved:
    As I mentioned, the host will sometimes play other show's episodes in his stream. There are 3 in particular I want to highlight:
    • Wild Ones Live. This is a live music show, based around a book. It's hard to explain but is oddly compelling and great entertainment.
    • The sound of sports. This was a BBC Radio 4 broadcast in 2011, in the build up to the London Olympics, and discusses how sports broadcasting has changed with the addition of sound recording methods. Long listen, but fascinating.
    • Sandhogs. Mini documentary about the sandhogs, who are the workers who build and maintain the various tunnels underneath New York. Keep an ear out for some Irish accents too in this.

I hope people enjoy this show as much as I do, and I'm looking forward to hearing people's opinions. A lot of the episodes are quite short (the more recent episodes have tended to be longer though) so it's quite easy to get through a lot of these.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭steve_r

Clearly a lot of work went into that post. Looking forward to checking it out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Euphoria Intensifies

I've been meaning to check out 99% Invisible ever since a guy at work recommended it to me. Will listen to some of these episodes over the next few weeks and report back!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭ahlookit

Great choice. Roman Mars has a great voice for podcasts. Its the polar opposite of Kevin from Risk (see last months podcast club if you havent heard it)

A few of my favourite episodes made your list, there's also a few I haven't heard on there so I'll check them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,270 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

ELOrf66Yj8GyI.gif

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭steve_r

Sorry - all I've had a chance to do so far is watch the Youtube one which was very interesting.

I will checkout more but most of the time I listen to the longer podcasts is when driving - so you can blame my stupid passengers who make me engage in conversation with them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Oh_Is_This_Me?

I really enjoy 99% Invisible and I like that when I start to describe an episode to someone, it starts off sounding like the most boring thing ever.

Recent episodes I've enjoyed are the ep about garbage collection in Taiwan and the episode about concrete and asphalt roads!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

I dip in and out of 99pi in any case, so I'm already a subscriber - but I'm not familiar with the episodes highlighted in the opening post, so thanks, OP!

Advertisement