Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Louise O Neill

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Shes been getting a lot of attention lately with her debut novel Asking For It.I have to admit I haven't read it so I'll pass judgement on it.I have however read several of the articles which she weekly writes for The Irish Examiner.To my mind these are cringe worthy in the extreme,not only in the shameless self promotion and dubious third wave feminist views but the writing is like something you'd expect from an essay by a 14 year old girl.Here'souple of examples.I can't believe shes actually being paid to produce this.

(Note to mods.I already put this up in the literature section and it was locked with the explanation it was not the place for that thread if I had not read her books)

http://www.irishexaminer.com/lifesty...at-383021.html

http://www.irishexaminer.com/viewpoi...em-413225.html

Page Not Found on both links.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

3rd wave feminists at it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭Ted111

I came here for the soup samples.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Polka_Dot

Can't stand her

She's very dramatic from what I last remember reading . There was something about going around in a daze all day and primal howling because of something that happened in America .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Links dont work but journalism writing is very different to fiction writing so they might not be much of a guide anyway.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

Fixed,should be able to get links now.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

It comes across as juvenile histrionics and little more.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Fixed,should be able to get links now.

Now that I've read them I wouldnt go anywhere near her book. Self centred, drama llama generalisations. So this is generation snowflake.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

She's very dramatic from what I last remember reading . There was something about going around in a daze all day and primal howling because of something that happened in America didn't happen in University College Dublin.
    FYP W. Yep, went full hysteric over a non event, then didn't offer any retraction. When I read the article first I assumed she was a 19 year old first year of college kinda thing. That can lead to earnestness and daftness and can even be a good thing as people figure out who they are. Nope she's thirty. Full grown woman. When I read articles like hers and others I wonder a) do they actually believe this stuff, b) are they just aping the muppets who write for outlets like the Guaradian, or b) is it trolling for the clicks, like the anti Daily Mail? Maybe all three. If it's a I'd worry for their mental capacities and emotional fragility TBH.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Does she blame white males for all the wrongs of the world? I have no interest in enquiring about her works if she does.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

She has some good points but tends to be very dramatic. her book is better than her columns.

Wibbs wrote: »
    FYP W. Yep, went full hysteric over a non event, then didn't offer any retraction. When I read the article first I assumed she was a 19 year old first year of college kinda thing. That can lead to earnestness and daftness and can even be a good thing as people figure out who they are. Nope she's thirty. Full grown woman. When I read articles like hers and others I wonder a) do they actually believe this stuff, b) are they just aping the muppets who write for outlets like the Guaradian, or b) is it trolling for the clicks, like the anti Daily Mail? Maybe all three. If it's a I'd worry for their mental capacities and emotional fragility TBH.

Ah, that was it.At 30 people tend to have mellowed more than that . I wouldn't have the patience to read anything else of hers if she's still writing in that style .

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

I read it, about the male students who have allegedly created a Facebook group in which to exchange explicit photos of girls they have had sex with and rate them.

I sit there in stunned silence for minutes, hours, days.

I get up, then sit back down then get up and scream; it is guttural, visceral, this scream is coming from some part of myself that I never even knew existed.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/lifestyle/features/louise-oneill-i-wonder-if-my-ex-boyfriends-thought-female-sexuality-was-something-to-be-laughed-at-383021.html

That is the sort of behaviour one expects from a child. This stuff is actually lauded in the Irish media. The mind boggles.

Does she blame white males for all the wrongs of the world? I have no interest in enquiring about her works if she does.

In a nutshell, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Specialun

tubs wouldnt be happy reading this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

What time is the Frampton fight on?

Pretty much.The root of all evil are able bodied white hetro males it seems in Louises little world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Shes been getting a lot of attention lately with her debut novel Asking For It.I have to admit I haven't read it so I'll pass judgement on it.

I don't know her columns but the book is shocking, as in you know such things happen (see Listowel case etc) but it actually makes you understand how it feels. Most of the time we just look away... you need to be kind of gutsy to read the book. I had to put it down a number of times. It's really hard to handle but on the other hand you know it's how life is for some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

I'm confused. Giving out about some men's attitudes towards women, but it's ok to yell at your mother and make her do your packing for a trip???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

I get up, then sit back down then get up and scream; it is guttural, visceral

Well done. You got that wound up over something that didn't even happen and was essentially a media invention.

When they blew up the Death Star I was stunned for minutes. Hours. Days. I got up, then sat back down then got up and screamed. it is guttural, visceral

What a knob

I'm confused. Giving out about some men's attitudes towards women, but it's ok to yell at your mother and make her do your packing for a trip???

That was unbelievable . The fact that mammy was packing for her let alone the tantrums over it .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭Ted111

I'm impressed.
    She's from Cork.
    And she can read and write.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

She seems to annoy the right kind of people...

RayM wrote: »
    She seems to annoy the right kind of people...

Adults ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Adults ?

No, just whiny men-children who think being white and male is oh-so-difficult.

I haven't seen any . She makes a servant of her mother and complains about everything being difficult .

And being a middle class white Irish woman from West Cork is oh- so- difficult?The way she goes on you'd think she was living in El Salvador or Pakistan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭b_mac2

https://youtu.be/ilCmywMin8I

• Advertisement

I don't think it's more difficult than being a woman. I thank God I was born a man, because feminist's are right, this is a man's world, and that is unfair. Generations of women have, for years, eloquently and intelligently described the barriers to women's participation in commercial & political life.

There are several people who continue to be articulate voices for women right across the span of generations, such as Hillary Clinton, Sheryl Sandberg (Facebook COO) and Moulala Yousafzai.

But then there are complete idiots who seem to try and parrot these intelligent women, but are inevitably hamstrung own inane, egotistical outlook, and wander off into hysterical tangental babble. Louise O'Neill is one of these individuals.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement