Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Everyones Opinions on Farmers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭onrail

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

One final question (because you're destroying all of my efforts to discredit you ;))

Would you trade in the pressure and money to be a relatively lucrative farmer, making say €50-70k a year?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,926 ✭✭✭OldRio

The bollox spends most of his time posting on here. Hard work? Haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭CaptainInsano

12 year olds bombing around the place in tractors running people off the roads , bringing in the washing stinking of slurry, muck and sh1te spattered all over the roads,.shooting dogs once they can't round up their sheep any more. But sure they grow our vegetables.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Two Tone

12 year olds bombing around the place in tractors running people off the roads , bringing in the washing stinking of slurry, muck and sh1te spattered all over the roads,.shooting dogs once they can't round up their sheep any more. But sure they grow our vegetables.
    Well I suppose the first part does not apply to all farmers. :)

• Advertisement

Great answer - best of luck with it

• Registered Users Posts: 33,730 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I retired from farming this year, apart from a small bit but nothing major. I had too much work and not enough help and it wouldn't have paid me to get help in, especially with the price of milk.
    Now I can take a holiday and it is 15 years since I had a holiday and that was 15 years of working everyday of the year. I had less than two weeks off in 21 years and I was feeling like a slave to the job.
    Farmers are ripped off by supermarkets, the factories and milk processors. They take more and the farmer gets less and less and the consumer pays the same if now more.
    Farmers are not appreciated enough in my opinion knowing that there is a lot of work involved especially in something like dairy farming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Yeah I'm aware of the pressure in that area but you get paid much more money though to deal with the pressure and you could always have the option to walk away and take another job in finance.

Farmers don't have that sort of luxury.

You could decide to jack it all in in the morning and take another lucrative job in the financial sector if it all being a hedge fund manager too much pressure for you, which in a way means the pressure isn't all that great in real life terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,316 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

You're way off the mark on this one, a lot of farm work is still very physical and live stock can be very dangerous to handle so I doubt your work is harder Mr hedge fund manager.

• Advertisement

The vast majority of farmers don't have those sort of options.I doubt very many would stick at it if they could sell up in the morning for hundreds of thousand or even millions.

But you could quit which is exactly the point I'm making.

The greatest pressure of all in life is having no real options.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,926 ✭✭✭OldRio

Amazing how this thread is not about farmers but about one poster who is seeking validation from strangers on his occupation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Fixed that bit for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,316 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I do appreciate that there is a lot of pressure in the work you do and also long hours.

That's true but a lot don't and a lot need it to provide a decent standard of living from their family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭qm1bv4p8i92aoj

I think they are a sound bunch.

However jobs with physical labour are generally not as desireable and not as well paid and also may be more difficult to do over a long period of time.Also I think most people would take tiredness after a days concentrating at the office over physical tiredness from physical labour.

My father lost about 2-3 stone in the space of a couple of months a few years ago because of the physical toll his new farm labourer job was having on him, I doubt that happens to most people working in offices .

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

I suppose in the care of livestock your own health can come second at times of crisis or high demand

For context, I'm just getting to bed after finishing off a report for work tomorrow. Which will get fck all thanks and a fraction of the salary our hedge fund poster is on. .. Which is why I'm considering the move back to farming.

What would make you happier in life onrail?

What would make you happier in life onrail?
    That's the million dollar question that I've been pondering for the guts of a year now. After a while you realize its nigh on impossible to keep everyone happy!

It depends whose important to keep happy. This isn't a rehearsal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

Farming must be still in you're blood... This is exactly what a farmer would be moaning about!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

And by the way I'm a farmer, its before 5am and I'm heading to milking. But after that Ill have a two hour breakfast:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Clampdown

And yet you still had time to make over 24,000 posts on boards during the last 8 years! Hillary and Trump are quite relieved that you're not US born I'd say.

• Advertisement

Advertisement