Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards.ie Responsive Site Bugs & Features (cntd)

Options
  • 10-06-2016 5:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

I wanted to start a new thread for the bugs and features report this week because we noticed that conversations with some folks who reported things to us have gotten lost in the activity. I'll be PMing those people on Monday to make sure we can keep the progress going.

So, here is this week's updated bug list.

There is still some re-thinking about the site overall and that's all underway. We've also diverted the tech team's attention to areas of the site such as the menu for the legacy site (as I said on the other site - feedback and suggestions are welcome) and the Search functionality is getting a well earned overhaul.

What that means is that it'll be more than 2 weeks before I'm back with an update to the list above as the team are busy on these other areas, but I'll be keeping a close eye on this thread.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭the_barfly1

Did anybody ever have a look at Opera mini functionality for the legacy site? It's still not working.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

As I understand it, Opera Mini's bandwidth saving measures are the reason there are problems and it's not an easy fix from what I've been told by the tech team. I'll be honest, it's a low priority item because Opera Mini makes up for less than one percent of total traffic, but it is on the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,239 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Are you deliberately switching users over to the new site, or does that just happen occasionally when you deploy stuff / make changes?

Definitely not a deliberate decision, most likely an accidental by-product of ongoing work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

Apologies if this is the wrong place to report this. I accidentally switched to the new site on my mobile and now cannot switch back without opening the desktop version (can't find the mentioned button beside my picture profile to switch to the legacy site). My overall impression of the new site is that it looks very well, but wastes a lot of screen real estate on mobile displays.

Anyway, the issue:

When in the "Show Latest" list of posts, I have a list of 1 to 7 pages. When I open a link on any page (say page 2 or page 3) and then use the Back button to return, it always returns me to Page 1. It really shouldn't do that. If I accessed the link from page 2, Back should bring me back to Page 2.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

3rdDegree wrote: »
    Apologies if this is the wrong place to report this. I accidentally switched to the new site on my mobile and now cannot switch back without opening the desktop version (can't find the mentioned button beside my picture profile to switch to the legacy site). My overall impression of the new site is that it looks very well, but wastes a lot of screen real estate on mobile displays.

Anyway, the issue:

When in the "Show Latest" list of posts, I have a list of 1 to 7 pages. When I open a link on any page (say page 2 or page 3) and then use the Back button to return, it always returns me to Page 1. It really shouldn't do that. If I accessed the link from page 2, Back should bring me back to Page 2.

Thanks
    That is not happening me. What browser and mobile device are you using?

I'm using chrome and I'm on Android on 6.0.1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

3rdDegree wrote: »

Anyway, the issue:

Thanks
    That is not happening me. What browser and mobile device are you using?

I'm using chrome and I'm on Android on 6.0.1

Thanks.

I'm also using Chrome on Android 6.0.1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

When you Google stuff on Boards, did you used to be able to see the forum a thread was in, in the Google result page? (so that you could click from Google into a forum, instead of into the linked thread the result is in)

When you Google Boards now, the results seem to be less functional compared to before - and all of the results link to the new version of the site.

Has Boards looked at how they are doing, in terms of search engine rankings and such? Recent changes may have greatly affected this.

This (Google ranking and changes in search reuslts) can have a huge impact on site traffic - so maybe that could be a factor in the recent falloff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

How do I change my notifications to threads from (for example) "email notification" to "no notification"?

thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,899 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

There are no links on this mobile site to revert to the desktop site or the touch site. I'd like a link to return my browser to the touch UI. If I ask iOS to request the desktop site I still get the responsive site in return.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Overheal wrote: »
    There are no links on this mobile site to revert to the desktop site or the touch site. I'd like a link to return my browser to the touch UI. If I ask iOS to request the desktop site I still get the responsive site in return.
    I can revert to the touch site by clicking legacy link at bottom of page. To prove I could do it I just tried before posting this message.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,899 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Ah, was looking for "touch" didn't even see that

Haven't been on adverts.ie recently, but the log in from boards.ie button seems borked (the facebook/twitter) pages seemed fine.

Separate question - is adverts.ie no longer supported as it used to be? I see the adverts.ie support forum closed.

Advertisement