Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Power washer advice

Options
  • 01-06-2016 11:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭

Guys,
    Thankfully I am moving in to house which will have a driveway! I am more excited about being able to wash the car at home :)
    Any recommendation on the Power Washer please ? Anyone knows of any special offer going on ?
    TIA
    bbari

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

Dont know about specials, but Nilfisk is the brand I always recommend! ;)

[/tread] ;):p

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bbari

Thanks Curran,
    Any specific model? They have a model call Tital, will that suffice ?

I have the C120 - which is a 1200W machine - plenty of power. Not familiar with the current names of the models.

Keep an eye on Amazon, they pop up occasionally at a good price.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭E39MSport

I have this: -
    http://www.jebbtools.ie/pro-tempest-honda-pressure-washer

It is awesome !

Pricey though. Depends on how much you want to spend.

I'm sure it's awsome! A bit out of my range, I'm looking for €100ish job

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,433 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

You can often get the nilfisk 110 and 120 on amazon handy enough, pricespy.ie is good for comparison too.

You can often get bundles with a patio cleaner and detergent bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭vectra

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

If you have a lawnmower with a rotten deck and a decent engine you can buy a vertical shaft pump and a lance + hose from this fella and make yourself a fairly decent petrol pressure washer for <200 quid.

^^^^^^

:eek: :eek: :eek:

maxresdefault.jpg

:pac::pac::D:D:p:p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

If you have a lawnmower with a rotten deck and a decent engine you can buy a vertical shaft pump and a lance + hose from this fella and make yourself a fairly decent petrol pressure washer for <200 quid.

How do you put all that together then? Sounds like a cool idea

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭jpbdrogheda

bbari wrote: »
    Thanks Curran,
    Any specific model? They have a model call Tital, will that suffice ?
    i picked up that Nilfisk Titan in B&Q a couple of years ago and its been working perfectly since. Nice bit 1400w is plenty for car washing. Works very well with a snow foam and also useful for cleaning decks and cement slabs. Would definitely give it a recommendation. The 8m hose is longer than a lot of other power washers and means you aren't constantly moving the base unit around to get to the rear of car etc.

But yeah, its a nice bit of kit and worth every penny.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

If you're thinking of getting a Kärcher, don't go the cheap route. The K2s are good little washers and not too dear but the internals get messed up after a few month's use. I forked out for a K5 which was over €400 when I bought it over 2 years ago and it's still perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Ryath

Argos have a nice bit of money of a few Nilfisks. Trying to decide between them

Nilfisk Titan C120 Pressure Washer - 1400W €123.49
    Nilfisk Compact 130 Pressure Washer - 1800W €159.49
    Nilfisk Powergrip 130 Pressure Washer - 1800W €217.49

Think the Compact 130 is the pick of them with the better motor. The titan does seem good value and the hose storage seems handy, though I've seen comments it makes the machine hard to drain for winter and it makes it top heavy and inclined to fall over. I'd imagine the powergrip would be steadier as it's a heavier machine. It's pricey though and actually only €177 with a 6m hose from amazon or the 8m for a €10 more. Should I just go the hole hog and get Nilfisk E140 @ €287 pricey but seems a very good machine. It will be mostly for the car but I do have a good bit of tarmac, decking, fencing and other bits to clean so may be worth the extra money for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭edburg

If you're thinking of getting a Kärcher, don't go the cheap route. The K2s are good little washers and not too dear but the internals get messed up after a few month's use. I forked out for a K5 which was over €400 when I bought it over 2 years ago and it's still perfect.

Got both an old k2 and k5 eco home, k2 fighting on still after about 6-7 years.

K5 got last year is great bit of kit but I have been unlucky with going off to be fixed twice to have internals all replaced. Which is an arse as it works well and less hassle than k2.

The C120 at 1400W is plenty of power - my C120 is 1200W and Ive given it the car / decking / patio treatment, and never once missed a beat.
    Domestic Karcher's that Ive used in the past would always cut out after a bit of extended use, to allow it to cool down. I used to work in a DIY shop, a few years back (so maybe Karcher have up'd their game), but the amount of the yellow machines stacked in the corner of the warehouse waiting to be fixed was silly.

Ryath wrote:
    Think the Compact 130 is the pick of them with the better motor. The titan does seem good value and the hose storage seems handy, though I've seen comments it makes the machine hard to drain for winter and it makes it top heavy and inclined to fall over. I'd imagine the powergrip would be steadier as it's a heavier machine. It's pricey though and actually only €177 with a 6m hose from

What's the difference between 130 compact and 130 powergrip ? Is it just the size of the body as both seems to be 1800W ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

How do you put all that together then? Sounds like a cool idea

The holes on any vertical shaft pump you buy would line up with the bolt holes on the lawnmower engine. You will probably need some spacers though. I made them from bits of rebar and drilled holes in them.

The frame is simple enough - base of an old PA amp with holes drilled in and a section cut out to make room for bottom of the engine and the shaft. You'll need a quick connect adapter for the pump and a gardena garden hose adapter for the input.

I tied a bit of rope onto the starter cord to make it easer to start, it is a lot more prone to kicking back when trying to start than when it was a lawnmower because the pump doesn't have the same flywheel characteristic as a blade

Edit: Don't buy a Karcher K2, the dirtblaster nozzles those are an absolute disaster and pretty much a consumable item

What's the difference between 130 compact and 130 powergrip ? Is it just the size of the body as both seems to be 1800W ?

Think the only difference is the powergrip has the hose reel and comes with a inlet hose with a small filter for pumping from a barrel. Not worth the extra money for what argos are asking but it is available for not much more. Actually found it from DnD Detailing for a less than a amazon

Picked up the Nilfisk Compact 130 yesterday, very pleased with it. Think it's worth the bit extra over the C120 for the induction motor it is way quieter than other cheap power washers I've used and should last a lot longer. Seems very well made definitely stronger than karchers I looked at in that price range.

Only gave the car quick clean with it made the 2 bucket wash much easier as it took the worst of the dirt off. Car was absolutely covered in baked on flies from being away in Clare for the weekend!

Ryath wrote: »
    Think the only difference is the powergrip has the hose reel and comes with a inlet hose with a small filter for pumping from a barrel. Not worth the extra money for what argos are asking but it is available for not much more. Actually found it from DnD Detailing for a less than a amazon

Picked up the Nilfisk Compact 130 yesterday, very pleased with it. Think it's worth the bit extra over the C120 for the induction motor it is way quieter than other cheap power washer and should last a lot longer. Seems very well made definitely stronger than karchers I looked at in that price range.

Only gave the car quick clean with it made the 2 bucket wash much easier as it took the worst of the dirt off. Car was absolutely covered in baked on flies from being away in Clare for the weekend!

Thanks Ryath, I will get c130. My 1st pressure washer :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

edburg wrote: »
    Got both an old k2 and k5 eco home, k2 fighting on still after about 6-7 years.

K5 got last year is great bit of kit but I have been unlucky with going off to be fixed twice to have internals all replaced. Which is an arse as it works well and less hassle than k2.

It's the other way around for me. I've had my K5 for the same length of time at this stage in which I've had 2 K2s :pac:

I'm in a hard water area though and we've our own well so I've no doubt that would make a difference to longevity.

• Advertisement

Lidl have a garden hose set with two different options.

30m/13mm (½") or 20m/19mm (¾")

Any idea which one will fit the Nilfisk?

Lidl have a garden hose set with two different options.

30m/13mm (½") or 20m/19mm (¾")

Any idea which one will fit the Nilfisk?

Either will do the nilfisk comes with a male coupling for the hose connector. 1/2" is standard garden hose width, rarely seen 3/4" garden hose in shops. 3/4" fittings will be harder to get probably only online.

The thicker hose is better as the water pressure won't drop as much over length but whether it's necessary with the pressure washer pumping too, I don't know. 1/2" hose should still be able to carry more water then the nilfisk is capable of pumping. You have me wondering I have about 20m of hose but I could do with more as one of my outside taps is currently out of action. My tap at back of the house is on 1/2" quadplex but one at the front that I'd prefer to use is beside the well on 3/4" pipe. It has much better pressure but we had to bypass it as our water softener was leaking.

Do you have a threaded out side tap? You'll need to get a tap connector if you need to use an inside house tap.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭edburg

It's the other way around for me. I've had my K5 for the same length of time at this stage in which I've had 2 K2s :pac:

I'm in a hard water area though and we've our own well so I've no doubt that would make a difference to longevity.

Hard water zone here to, have only run K5 off the water butts though. Think I am just unlucky with getting a bad internal's on this one, prob took a kicking on delivery to shops. Just got it back this week so will have to see how its working.

I have a couple times filled the filter with salt and run it twice in that time to help break down any limescale it may get, not saying its what saved it but maybe helped.

Having worked for B&Q in past Karcher used to be better of the makes they sold at time, there own Pro brand was a disaster (green cases then dark blue/yellow writing) and although odd karcher came back they were often mis used or left out in cold in winter and cracked in frost.

Either will do the nilfisk comes with a male coupling for the hose connector. 1/2" is standard garden hose width, rarely seen 3/4" garden hose in shops. 3/4" fittings will be harder to get probably only online.

The thicker hose is better as the water pressure won't drop as much over length but whether it's necessary with the pressure washer pumping too, I don't know. 1/2" hose should still be able to carry more water then the nilfisk is capable of pumping. You have me wondering I have about 20m of hose but I could do with more as one of my outside taps is currently out of action. My tap at back of the house is on 1/2" quadplex but one at the front that I'd prefer to use is beside the well on 3/4" pipe. It has much better pressure but we had to bypass it as our water softener was leaking.

Do you have a threaded out side tap? You'll need to get a tap connector if you need to use an inside house tap.

I got an outside tap installed. Here is the picture of the tap in the house and the hose for sale in Lidl. The hose set comes with a couple of connectors. I'll pick up the 1/2" one, is that all I require in order to use the washer ? TIA for your help.

1qgwuw.png

I got an outside tap installed. Here is the picture of the tap in the house and the hose for sale in Lidl. The hose set comes with a couple of connectors. I'll pick up the 1/2" one, is that all I require in order to use the washer ? TIA for your help.

http://i66.tinypic.com/1qgwuw.png

Yea should be all you need just screw off the push on brass connector on your tap and use the plastic one that comes with the set. Don't know what the quality of of the lidl hose is like. It will get you started but it may be worth paying a bit more for a branded one. My hoselock one is nearly 8 years old now and still seems perfect despite being left outside all the time, being dragged around, not always rolled back and being generally abused! It's certainly been driven over a few times!

Edit http://www.woodiesdiy.com/Product/2412-hozelock-30m-hose-reel-with-15m-hose/23928/4.7.0 is the one I have actually only 15m of hose should do you though.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,973 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Curran wrote:
    Dont know about specials, but Nilfisk is the brand I always recommend!

You learn something new every day. I never knew Nilfisk did power washers. :)

Yea should be all you need just screw off the push on brass connector on your tap and use the plastic one that comes with the set. Don't know what the quality of of the lidl hose is like. It will get you started but it may be worth paying a bit more for a branded one. My hoselock one is nearly 8 years old now and still seems perfect despite being left outside all the time, being dragged around, not always rolled back and being generally abused! It's certainly been driven over a few times!

Edit http://www.woodiesdiy.com/Product/2412-hozelock-30m-hose-reel-with-15m-hose/23928/4.7.0 is the one I have actually only 15m of hose should do you though.

Thanks a mill. You are right, I only need 15m. From the tap to the back of the car its 10m so 15m will suffice. Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

When Wickes existed in Ireland I got one of their own brand washers. Great yolk, still going strong after a decade and LOTS of work. Never could understand why Wickes never really took off here. The quality of their own brand stuff is far superior to the trash put out by B&Q.

Thank you for your help - I got C130 compact and very happy with it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement