Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amen Corner

Options
  • 04-02-2016 11:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭

Does anyone play an Irish course - or know an Irish course - which boasts an 'Amen Corner'?

I used to have a list of five of them, but can only remember two: Beech Park and Skibbereen.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Hoof Hearted2

Does anyone play an Irish course - or know an Irish course - which boasts an 'Amen Corner'?

I used to have a list of five of them, but can only remember two: Beech Park and Skibbereen.

Thanks
    Ring of Kerry GC, 12th, 13th and 14th.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭doublecross

I think Woodstock GC in Ennis have a run of 3 holes they call Amen Corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

Thanks
    Druid's Glen 12th to 14th

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

Did Rathsallagh have an amen corner??

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭mikepajero182

Slieve russell 11,12,13. Manys a card I runied on those holes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Golfgorfield

Muskerry in Cork have a run from 15th to 18th , cant recall its name but they are terrifying!

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Pacly

14 - 16 on O'Meara Course in Carton House?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭yipsnomore

Muskerry in Cork have a run from 15th to 18th , cant recall its name but they are terrifying!

Nice run of holes alright. Ive seen so many people come a cropper on 17th especially. Cant understand guys with a score trying to go for the green in two from 200 out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

6, 7 & 8 at The Castle

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Aesop

11, 12, 13, 14 Ashbourne Golf Club

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

Aesop wrote: »
    11, 12, 13, 14 Ashbourne Golf Club

Id add 10 in there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Paulzx

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭lettuce97

13, 14, 15 in Clonmel

• Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

Everybody seems to want an Amen Corner :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,342 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

5, 6 & 7 - Athlone golf club

Par 5, Par 3, Par 5.

5, 6 & 7 - Athlone golf club

Par 5, Par 3, Par 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

Ashourne, around 12,13,14 I think

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

1-18 in my place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Holes 10-14 in Fota maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 PaddyBawn

Pacly wrote: »
    14 - 16 on O'Meara Course in Carton House?

I remember when the O'Meara opened first, somebody did a write up on the course. Describing what was then the 13th - 15th (if I remember correctly), he said it was not so much an Amen Corner as an a "Oh Jasus! Corner".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭delboykelly

European Club 1-18!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Hoof Hearted2

I think for a course to qualify its Amen corner, it should meet a minimum criteria, like Augusta, the sequence of pars is important, i.e Par 4, Par 3 and Par 5, and like Augusta the holes should really be at the extremity of the course and on the back nine, so you get the feeling that you have literally and figuratively turned a corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Kevinmarkham

I think for a course to qualify its Amen corner, it should meet a minimum criteria, like Augusta, the sequence of pars is important, i.e Par 4, Par 3 and Par 5, and like Augusta the holes should really be at the extremity of the course and on the back nine, so you get the feeling that you have literally and figuratively turned a corner.

Very true, but most of the courses on the list seem to base the title on the 'drama' and 'challenge' of three consecutive - and often signature - holes.

The list of 13 I have so far is:
    Ashbourne, Athlone, Beech Park, Carrick-on-Shannon, Carton House, Clonmel, Druid's Glen, Fota Island, Lough Erne, Mannan Castle, Skibbereen, Slieve Russell, Woodstock.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭mikepajero182

[s.

Ashbourne, Athlone, Beech Park, Carrick-on-Shannon, Carton House, Clonmel, Druid's Glen, Fota Island, Lough Erne, Mannan Castle, Skibbereen, Slieve Russell, Woodstock.[/quote]

Which holes in Lough Erne?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

The club I was a member of in England had a run of three holes (Par 3, Par 4, Par3) that was known colloquially as 'Donnay Corner' because when you walked up on the first of the three you put the good balls away and took out the Donnays!

[s.

Ashbourne, Athlone, Beech Park, Carrick-on-Shannon, Carton House, Clonmel, Druid's Glen, Fota Island, Lough Erne, Mannan Castle, Skibbereen, Slieve Russell, Woodstock.

Which holes in Lough Erne?[/QUOTE]

Oops, it's not at Lough Erne... it's the three courses of Lough Erne, Rosses Point and Donegal that make up 'Amen Corner'. Interesting idea!

[s.

Which holes in Lough Erne?[/QUOTE]

Meant to say that it's not at Lough Erne... it's the three courses of Lough Erne, Rosses Point and Donegal that make up 'Amen Corner'. Interesting idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,806 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

It is funny how it is a Parkland thing ? As it is a reference to a particular course in US.

5,6,7 in Athlone are the furthest point on the course in Athlone

Like the 11th at Augusta, the 5th has a water hazard in front and covering half of one side of the green. The 11th at Augusta, front left.... The 5th in Athlone, front right. There's also Water to the side and long if you're particularly errant, just like at Augusta.

Like the 12th at Augusta, the 6th has a water hazard in front of the green. Not a long hole. A 7/8 iron at most for a lot of golfers on boards.ie, the green like Augusta is tricky to hold and should you miss the green, there's no easy up and down no matter where you are.

Like the 13th at Augusta, water also comes into play on the 7th in Athlone off the tee. They have a tributary off Rae's creek. We have a Bay off Lough Ree.

We're definitely matching all the criteria in athlone.

And lets be fair, the 11th hole in Augusta is so long, it could nearly be a par 5 ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement