Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horace & Pete---From Louis C.K.

Options
  • 30-01-2016 10:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60,439 ✭✭✭✭

Louis C.K. Releases Surprise New Dramatic Web Series Horace & Pete
    With Louie on a semi-permanent (or permanently opaque) hiatus, things have been pretty quiet from Louis C.K. lately (give or take Baskets and a few other shows he's producing). But that's just because he apparently has been working on a secret new project, Horace & Pete, which he surprise-released today.

In an email to fans titled, "A Brand New Thing From Louis C.K.," C.K. didn't offer many details about the show: "Hi there. Horace and Pete episode one is available for download. $5. Go here to watch it. We hope you like it. Regards, Louis." There's no description or explanation of what the series is about, but the first episode is 67 minutes long, was written and directed by C.K., takes place in a Brooklyn bar, and is staged like a play.
    Initially, it comes across like C.K.'s unique take on Cheers (plus a dash of Death Of A Salesman), with an emphasis on the depressing realities of life for barflies and bartending lifers. It definitely seems to lean far more toward the dramatic side than the comedic.

C.K. stars as Horace and Steve Buscemi is Pete, who run a bar together; Alan Alda is their grizzled, racist uncle (also named Pete), and other comedians, actors, and Louie friends such as Nick DiPaolo, Kurt Metzger, Steven Wright, Jessica Lange (as C.K.'s father's former lover), Edie Falco (as C.K.'s sister), Rebecca Hall (as C.K.'s girlfriend), Aidy Bryant (as C.K.'s daughter) and more show up throughout the episode. It also must have been filmed in the last week or so, since the characters touch on topical hot button issues, including Donald Trump's candidacy and Super Bowl quarterbacks. There's also an intermission.

Oh, and the theme song was written by none other than Paul Simon!

http://gothamist.com/2016/01/30/louis_ck_releases_surprise_new_web.php

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

I thought it was excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭NinetyForNone

Episode 2 is on-line tomorrow... price will be $2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

I've watched all 6. Whilst different to the Louie series, still fantastic Louis CK. I've tried to describe the show to my friends* but can't.

*who am I kidding I don't have any friends

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

This show was incredible. If you want a quality, intelligent show, you owe it to yourself to watch this. I just binge-watched all 10 episodes (episode 10 is the series finale), and it's better than most of the crappy, trope-filled, TV shows of today.

I hope it wins any and all awards it can.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭allybhoy

Im a huge Louis CK fan, i paid for the first episode of this and thought it was absolute rubbish was really disappointed with it, didnt bother with the rest of it, is it worth giving another go? I dont think im the only person who found the first episode poor either, the reviews were certainly mixed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

allybhoy wrote: »
    Im a huge Louis CK fan, i paid for the first episode of this and thought it was absolute rubbish was really disappointed with it, didnt bother with the rest of it, is it worth giving another go? I dont think im the only person who found the first episode poor either, the reviews were certainly mixed

It's not everyones cuppa tea but I loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭gilmour

Its outstanding, Louis is a bit special.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭anothernight

allybhoy wrote: »

I quite liked it (painfully forced politics bit aside), but we had to watch it in two halves because the first episode felt ridiculously long for what it was, despite the intermission. We haven't mustered up the courage to watch another one though.

I'm never quite convinced by Louis CK's acting, but Buscemi was great as always.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Just watched the finale. Very emotive.

Excellent show I have to say. I just loved it. I think Louis CK might be the father I never had.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,439 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Louis CK Cancels ‘Horace and Pete’ After One Bizarre, Money-Losing Season
    “I had to take out a line of credit.” he told Stern. “I’m not a wealthy guy. I don’t have a ton of money saved up.”
    He told Stern he originally intended to shell out $2 million of his own money to cover the cost of the first four episodes — $500,000 each, leaving him, he said, with “no cushion in life.”
    By releasing the show direct to his web site and bypassing any middlemen, C.K. said he hoped to make the money back on sales of each episode in order to fund the rest of the season. But that didn’t happen

http://www.thewrap.com/louis-ck-horace-and-pete-cancel-one-season/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

Louis CK Cancels ‘Horace and Pete’ After One Bizarre, Money-Losing Season

http://www.thewrap.com/louis-ck-horace-and-pete-cancel-one-season/
    Cancels? First comment from that "article":
    Do you even watch this show?The story came to a conclusion in the 10th episode.
    It was the finale. Saying that the show would not be returning is wrong and
    ignorant. He didn't cancel the show because he was losing money. The show has
    ended. It was a miniseries and it meant to be for 10 episodes. He wrote the
    script for 10 episodes and that was it. He planned this. He told that he was in
    debt after he finished the series. Nobody knew that until 3 days ago. You need
    to get your facts checked before writing your "news".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Watched the first and half the second episode, Jessica Lange's character really creeps me out....maybe I'm part of the problem of why there's an issue in the industry of why older women find it hard to get roles..the cancer thing thrown in now..should make for uplifting viewing..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Just purchased the episodes and am looking forward to watching. I kind of regret listening to his recent podcast with Marc Maron about it as there are some spoilers in it. Anyhoo.

For Louis fans, he's just after announcing a Dublin gig and tickets are on sale now. Cannot wait

http://www.ticketmaster.ie/Louis-CK-tickets/artist/848510?tm_link=edp_Artist_Name

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

It's not tv though its pure theatre... all the quietness and awkward silences left to sink in...
    I like it anyhow and gladly paid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Watched the first 6 episodes in a binge session last night and am loving it. Some really funny moments. Steve Buscemi and Alan Alda are so, so good

Advertisement