Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can someone explain window performance results

Options
  • 28-01-2016 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭

Hi

So we will be deciding on what windows to go with for our new build within the next two weeks.

We are still undecided between Nordan, Rational & Velfac.
    Velfac definately look the nicest.

I have had a few discussions on peoples experiences of them also on these threads:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056685351
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056226300

I have trawled the web trying to figure out what their test performance results actually mean.
    I want to ensure they are of a high standard.
    We will have a lot of very large south/south west facing glazing and our site is fairly exposed to strong westerly winds and driving rain into these large glazed areas.

So could somebody point me to somewhere I can get information on what these results actually mean?

Or better yet, briefly explain the results ;)

Attachments dont seem to be uploading for me guys.
    The specs I'm referring to are on page 8 of this pdf (Velfac Energy 200)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭fatty pang

Good to see an end-user checking this information when many architects will just assume an ‘A-rated’ or ‘Passive House Certified’ is all that is required.
    Briefly.....
    Vertical load, static torsion and operating forces are essentially strength and stability testing;
    - Simulating the forces needed to open and close the window/door,
    - Forces from events that could reasonably be expected to occur, child hanging on a door handle, force needed to free a sticking window/door will not cause permanent damage,
    - Durability of the hinging/handle mechanism.
    The declared results are fine and indicate the products tested are fit for purpose in a residential setting.
    Performance testing would generally be used to simulate various aspects of how the window/door would be expected to perform under various weather conditions. To explain the results in layman’s terms is not straightforward and involves referencing other standards. The air permeability (leakage), water tightness (leakage) and wind resistance (deformation/flexing of the window) declared results are very good and would indicate that the window/door tested would be suitable for any location in the country. Check with the supplier that the data applies to the size of unit you need and that it covers the specific hinging function you want.

Bear in mind that the testing takes place in a laboratory and only assesses the window/door and not the interface with the building. Check-reveals (rebated wall where the window frame sits behind the rebate thus protecting the perimeter seal) are recommended for buildings in Ireland. The Velfac 200 system, due to its profile, presents challenges in achieving a robust and durable perimeter seal in a typical cavity construction with a check reveal. I have seen several instances where it has been done poorly. Both detailing and workmanship would need to be exemplary to have confidence in the perimeter sealing and it's durability.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭fatty pang

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭rodge123

fatty pang wrote: »
    Good to see an end-user checking this information when many architects will just assume an ‘A-rated’ or ‘Passive House Certified’ is all that is required.
    Briefly.....
    Vertical load, static torsion and operating forces are essentially strength and stability testing;
    - Simulating the forces needed to open and close the window/door,
    - Forces from events that could reasonably be expected to occur, child hanging on a door handle, force needed to free a sticking window/door will not cause permanent damage,
    - Durability of the hinging/handle mechanism.
    The declared results are fine and indicate the products tested are fit for purpose in a residential setting.
    Performance testing would generally be used to simulate various aspects of how the window/door would be expected to perform under various weather conditions. To explain the results in layman’s terms is not straightforward and involves referencing other standards. The air permeability (leakage), water tightness (leakage) and wind resistance (deformation/flexing of the window) declared results are very good and would indicate that the window/door tested would be suitable for any location in the country. Check with the supplier that the data applies to the size of unit you need and that it covers the specific hinging function you want.

Bear in mind that the testing takes place in a laboratory and only assesses the window/door and not the interface with the building. Check-reveals (rebated wall where the window frame sits behind the rebate thus protecting the perimeter seal) are recommended for buildings in Ireland. The Velfac 200 system, due to its profile, presents challenges in achieving a robust and durable perimeter seal in a typical cavity construction with a check reveal. I have seen several instances where it has been done poorly. Both detailing and workmanship would need to be exemplary to have confidence in the perimeter sealing and it's durability.

Thanks for the info fatty pang.
    It's good to know their specs are of a high standard and I'll check that they will be ok for our window sizes / hinging functions.

Yes, our architect mentioned that due to the profile of the velfac 200s the detailing/installation needs to be spot on.
    He has the double glazed ones from 8 years ago on his own house and says he has had no problems to date with them.

The suppliers mentioned there is two ways to install them:
    1: Have the plasters do their job first and then install windows. Builder and Architect say this is not your standard way to do things.
    2: At an extra cost the windows frames can be fitted with an aluminium render profile that comes out perpendicular to frame. This then allows the plasterer plaster into this piece. The architect has this detail on his windows.

Advertisement