Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix to block VPNs [** Please Read OP for Warning **]

Options
  • 14-01-2016 8:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭

They'll probably lose subscribers because of it, especially here.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2016/0114/760274-netflix-proxy-clamp/

How is it done by the way and is there anyway to get around their blocking?

Added Feb 2016 by mod:

Discussing how to bypass geographical limitations to watch streaming content is also a no-no (i.e. how to watch Hulu outside the US, how to watch US/Canadian Netflix from Ireland etc. This includes name-dropping proxy sites & services.

Comments

Ill be canceling if it happens.

Ive gone through most regions catalogues and Ireland/UK is one of the worst probably because Sky have the rights to so many movies and TV shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭jeamimus

They have to say this, because it's the legal position and I'm sure they're coming under severe pressure from regional rights holders.

Netflix don't like these regional restrictions, and in the past when they tried to cut off the proxies, the proxy services found a way around ....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭Keith186

Is a proxy the same as changing the DNS?

The Irish one is fairly poor alright.

Their share price went down 10% yesterday, probably because people got wind of this being announced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

Keith186 wrote: »
    Is a proxy the same as changing the DNS?

The Irish one is fairly poor alright.

Their share price went down 10% yesterday, probably because people got wind of this being announced.

I'll definitely be cancelling if this happens, as I live in China and can only use it through VPN. Really hope it doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,214 ✭✭✭Goose81

most people dont use vpn to watch it they use dns,although I presume they will be targeting this also. Ditto il be cancelling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,926 ✭✭✭kirving

A number of factors involved, I'm sure, but Netflix are probably getting into trouble with combined TV and Internet provides who are losing revenue if people are obtaining shows on Netflix, that the same company who provides the connection would otherwise get to sell them.

Netflix in general puts pressure on ISP's in terms of bandwidth. I guess also that international data transfer cost those same ISP's money, whereas if Netflix store the content in the same country, this isn't an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Goose81 wrote: »
    most people dont use vpn to watch it they use dns,although I presume they will be targeting this also. Ditto il be cancelling.

The DNS services are a proxy. They just direct your traffic to it so you dont have to install or set up anything locally

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭phobia2011

I'm due to renew unblokus sub, when does this come into effect

• Registered Users Posts: 11 SligoSean

Hi,

I have Unotelly in the UK.

Does anyone know if there's any way to get RTE live through this service?

I hope they don't interfere with this, it makes Netflix worthwhile but I'll cancel if they manage to disable Unotelly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Netflix operate like a tv channel? They purchase the rights to films and tv shows upfront rather than pay per stream like music streaming services, right? So participating content providers aren't hugely affected by users exploiting regional workarounds, at least not in the way that they would with music. They are still getting paid. The ones being hurt are the ones who don't participate, either because of exclusivity deals they are running in different regions or because whoever does own the rights in that region doesn't want to do business with Netflix.

Either way it seems like these regional exploits actually work to Netflix's advantage in convincing international rights holders to get their act together and offer their content to Netflix at a reasonable price – because otherwise users will use these DNS workarounds to get access to Netflix in Canada or wherever where the rights holders are game and Netflix will just pocket all the extra cash they are getting from UK/Irish subscribers.

Obviously Netflix still have to pay lip service by saying "oh yes we're doing all we can to stop this" – but who really believes this? Mostly this blog post they published reads like a bit of public negotiation since all they really say in it is that regional exploits are a problem reflecting the obvious demand for the same or similar content across all regions and they are going to *start* cracking down on these exploits. Why even announce this? If it was really important to them they'd just do it and then talk about it. It's a bit bizarre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭den87

Will definitely be getting rid of Netflix if this happens, Irish Netflix is the absolute worst. Wouldn't even go near it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,139 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Twats. Irish Netflix is bloody poison.

Hopefully the internet figures out a solution.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 187 ✭✭warpdrive

What a load of sh!t. Will be cancelling if it ends up blocking me from visiting other regions

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

Out of curiosity, what regions of Netflix do people watch?? I have only tried the Irish and US

rawn wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, what regions of Netflix do people watch?? I have only tried the Irish and US

I think Canada is one of the best. The likes of Sweden and Netherlands as well are good for some recent movie releases.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 187 ✭✭warpdrive

rawn wrote: »

Even the US Netflix is pretty sh!t. Canada and Brazil are decent and from what I've seen, Ukraine has a solid selection of movies. Best thing to do is go on holidays to different regions every once in a while but there are other options to see what the best content available is in one big list...like a travel agency of the best holiday destinations

• Registered Users Posts: 7 GetWit.it

J. Marston wrote: »
    Twats. Irish Netflix is bloody poison.

Hopefully the internet figures out a solution.

What's the difference between Irish Netflix and American Netflix ?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,139 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

GetWit.it wrote: »

US Netflix is Tescos.

Irish Netflix is the small shop round the corner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭xband

Absolutely will be cancelling. The Irish line up is not worth more than €1.00/month max.

US Netflix is Sky
    Irish Netfix is Saorview

You get the idea!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

Im pretty sure this type of thing came up before. If Netflix was serious they could probably just time you down to the catalog available to the country of your payment method. Not sure if paypal give them the address.

It isn't in their interest to do it, subscriptions would be lost and the people who are able to go on holidays around the world are probably the same people who can work out alternatives. The likes of sky would prefer it but I dont see why Netflix would want to help them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Rips

Hope it doesn't happen.

Even as it is, its particularly annoying with series, when there are a certain number of seasons available in one region, and more available in another, while still all being a season behind general release. Its nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

GetWit.it wrote: »

About a few thousand titles. I cannot attest to their accuracy but the numbers beneath each flag is the number of titles available in that country. USA Netflix has TV series that would be in regular syndication here such as Law &Order SVU, Frasier and Cheers.

h3McmTg.jpg

The USA region was closer to 8,000 titles a few months ago. Portugal has a small enough number of titles that you could try to count them.

Im pretty sure this type of thing came up before. If Netflix was serious they could probably just time you down to the catalog available to the country of your payment method. Not sure if paypal give them the address.

It isn't in their interest to do it, subscriptions would be lost and the people who are able to go on holidays around the world are probably the same people who can work out alternatives. The likes of sky would prefer it but I dont see why Netflix would want to help them.

Afaik previously they were turning a blind eye and playing dumb. This seems significant but as mentioned it could be a negotiating tactic - they still need to follow through with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

Ageyev wrote: »
    Afaik previously they were turning a blind eye and playing dumb. This seems significant but as mentioned it could be a negotiating tactic - they still need to follow through with it.

im nearly sure this exact same thing came up before though. There's stuff from this time last year but the articles are updated with Netflix saying they aren't doing anything.

In April they updated the terms and conditions to say they can cut you off for it but again, empty threat.

I won't be too concerned until the point where they actually do it. Then I'll cancel my subscription.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

Ugh il cancel if that happens

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

I think Canada is one of the best. The likes of Sweden and Netherlands as well are good for some recent movie releases.

Netherlands here. No. Netherlands Netflix is awful, probably worse than Ireland. There's bugger all on it and it never gets updated.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Have they said when they're planning on doing this?

Have they said when they're planning on doing this?

Next few weeks is hinted...

Netherlands here. No. Netherlands Netflix is awful, probably worse than Ireland. There's bugger all on it and it never gets updated.

Depends what you're looking for. I have found Netherlands to be a decent place to visit when a subscriber of Netflix at times.

im nearly sure this exact same thing came up before though. There's stuff from this time last year but the articles are updated with Netflix saying they aren't doing anything.

In April they updated the terms and conditions to say they can cut you off for it but again, empty threat.

I won't be too concerned until the point where they actually do it. Then I'll cancel my subscription.

Same boat. We'll see what happens but this issue has been building. A court challenge by distributors could change the game (purely speculative and imo)

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭montreal2011

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,038 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Ageyev wrote: »

Exactly, I have seen a lot of annoyance towards neflix for this planned clampdown, but to be honest they have been hassled about this for years by powerful people and the more countries they set up in, they get more and more criticism about vpns. I think they would be content to turn a blind eye and pay lip service about clamping down, but I think they probably have had enough sadly.

Its crazy really, I don't want to torrent etc, but may have to consider it if this comes in, Ireland netflix while not awful is something I have no interest in been subscribed to for 12 months a year.

Advertisement