Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

simple couscous salad recipe for lunches

Options
  • 10-01-2016 2:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,245 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all, so just what the title says, has anyone got a good recipe for couscous salad that is relatively simple to make and is flavoursome? Trying to get a bit of variety into my lunches and eat more healthy, bought couscous yesterday and want to make a salad with it today if possible.

Thanks a mil!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

2015 cooking club week 23 Tabbouleh
    I'm useless and can't attach the link. But if you search that. It's so easy and delicious. Really tasty and healthy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I cook it in stock, and stir in a little olive oil and lemon juice before it cools. After that you can add whatever you like.
    I add a tin of mixed beans or chickpeas and some roasted vegetables, but you could use raw veg like red onion, tomato, peppers etc. A bit of feta crumbled in just before eating is lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,245 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Thanks a mill guys!! Dizzyblonde when you say cook it in stock do you mean just pour the stock over it until it just covers it? I haven't really made it before so I'm not sure how much to use - enough to last me for a few days I guess.

Thanks to the other poster - I will check out the cooking club recipe!

Just made the cooking club recipe, it's delicious!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

leahyl wrote: »
    Thanks a mill guys!! Dizzyblonde when you say cook it in stock do you mean just pour the stock over it until it just covers it? I haven't really made it before so I'm not sure how much to use - enough to last me for a few days I guess.

Thanks to the other poster - I will check out the cooking club recipe!

Just made the cooking club recipe, it's delicious!!!

Yes, it tastes nicer when you use stock rather than just water.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Whistlejacket

I put some couscous straight out of the pack in the bottom of a food flask and add some pistachio/macademia/hazel nuts and dried berries e.g. cranberries, blueberries or sultanas. Then at lunchtime add boiling water from the kettle, a pinch of salt and pepper to taste and leave it to stand for about 10 minutes, stir and enjoy!

Or you can make up a packet of soup and soak it in that instead of plain water. I like sachets of miso soup for this, or just stir a teaspoon of miso paste into the water. I find the texture nicer than soaking the couscous at home beforehand and it's nice to have something warm for lunch this time of the year with minimal effort.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

Made this for dinner last night. Was super fast and quite flavorsome. Made the cous cous with wine and a stock cube. Would probably prefer my own stock but did not have any to hand.

Needed something green though. Might throw in parsley next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

Mix in some veg roasted with a bit of cumin (carrots, onion, mushroom, peppers) and then some rocket stirred in once it is cooled down is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,748 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I've popped my Cous Cous Salad recipe up in the Random Recipes thread in tCC for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Try a bulgur wheat one too, more bite.

http://www.nigella.com/recipes/view/bulgar-wheat-salad-5042

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭ike

I usually flavour the Cous Cous with Salt, Pepper & Lemon Juice and then add spice of choice...Smoked Paprika, Chili Power, Cumin etc. Other options I use are balsamic vinegar or some soy..

Add in some diced chicken breast, flaked salmon fillet, tuna, tinned mackerel fillets, mixed beans etc...

I like chunky veg, carrots, beetroot, onion, scallion, peppers maybe some rocket or spinach leaves..

Basically a bit from the top, one from the middle and a bit from the bottom.

Make it the night before, pack it into your lunch box and away you go!,

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

I've popped my Cous Cous Salad recipe up in the Random Recipes thread in tCC for you.

Thanks so much - sounds so good! Must try this one! Thanks to everyone else for suggestions too :)

ike wrote: »
    I usually flavour the Cous Cous with Salt, Pepper & Lemon Juice and then add spice of choice...Smoked Paprika, Chili Power, Cumin etc. Other options I use are balsamic vinegar or some soy..

Add in some diced chicken breast, flaked salmon fillet, tuna, tinned mackerel fillets, mixed beans etc...

I like chunky veg, carrots, beetroot, onion, scallion, peppers maybe some rocket or spinach leaves..

Basically a bit from the top, one from the middle and a bit from the bottom.

Make it the night before, pack it into your lunch box and away you go!,

Thanks :) I have now discovered the wonders of couscous:pac: I always for some reason thought it was very boring...! I am currently eating the last of the couscous salad I made on Sunday with tinned tuna and green salad, peppers, cucumber, chickpeas, red onion and balsamic vinaigrette - very tasty!

I'm a recent convert to couscous too and I love it. I like it more cold as a salad than hot with dinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

leahly, since you are in cork you should check out Rocket Man, they have some awesome couscous (And other) salads available.

dibkins wrote: »
    leahly, since you are in cork you should check out Rocket Man, they have some awesome couscous (And other) salads available.

Yes, haven't been there yet but really also want to try the other place "Loving Salads" - a work colleague was there the other day and said it is delish. You can actually order food to be delivered from there to your workplace on http://chowthere.com

Advertisement