Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE to spend €1.12m on Brendan O'Connor's new weekly panel show

Options
  • 07-01-2016 9:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭

This has the potential to be decent if it's done right.

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/television/tv-news/rte-to-spend-112m-on-brendan-oconnors-new-weekly-panel-show-34342919.html

After losing his Saturday night chat show to Ray D'Arcy, Brendan O'Connor is set to front a new panel show on RTE1.

The national broadcaster is set to pump €1.12m into the show, which will "take a provocative and entertaining look at the week's events".

RTE have a budget of €70,000 per hour-long episode, excluding Brendan's fee, and are looking to commission a "suitably experienced" production company to make the show.

In the brief, RTE said they want to move away from the "presenter-behind-a-desk format" and suggest "using the green room and backstage areas to create a relaxed, off-the-cuff, cafe/pub vibe".

They want to create a "fun, playful space where the rules are different, surprises happen and the audience is guaranteed something different"

Brendan will be joined by two or three guests every week from a panel of eight regular contributors.

There will also be one featured studio guest each week, a competition, and a number of "studio-based items".

RTE also want to promote the show via social media and want the production company to prioritise "audience interaction through Facebook, Twitter and Periscope".

Brendan's show is set to shake up RTE's summer season, as it will run for 16 weeks from May at 9.30pm on Wednesday nights.

RTE came in for criticism last year due to the number of repeats aired across the station during the summer months.

Brendan had fronted the Saturday Night Show for five years before being replaced by 'prodigal son' D'Arcy.

The Herald recently revealed how RTE spent €136,000 on the new set for The Ray D'Arcy Show.

Since its launch the show has pulled in an average of 392,000 viewers each week.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

A rehash of 'The Panel'?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭frostyjacks

Is this where the spare change from losing the 6N is going? Another chat show? Same tired old faces telling the same shtick each week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Is this where the spare change from losing the 6N is going? Another chat show? Same tired old faces telling the same shtick each week.

Well it's a panel show not a chat show.

But it would need to be something very fresh to get over the fact that it has the irritating O'Connor at the helm.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Duggie2012

you can almost guess the guests already. i'm thinking neil delamere straight off.......car crash i'm seeing

• Registered Users Posts: 81,697 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

They should give D'arcy that and put Brendan back on The Saturday Night Show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭ahlookit

mloc123 wrote: »
    A rehash of 'The Panel'?

with some added Nighthawks.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭The Sun King

Neil Delamere, Al Porter, McSavage, Jennifer McGuire, that dope Brendan (?), and no doubt the contrarian George Hook will make an appearance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Does Rte really need another chat/panel show. There's only so many times you can see the same old faces trotted out.

they should just give dara o'briain the 1.2m and bring back DFTG.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

As bad as his show is on Saturday night, he'd be absolutely dreadful in a panel show.

• Advertisement

ray will prob be a guest at some stage, might be in his contract to appear on as many rte shows as possible.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭frostyjacks

Panti Bliss, Vogue Williams, Amy Huberman, Gerald Kean, Amanda Brunker....yawn. I'd rather watch that puddle in Newcastle of an evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

If they can get some good upcoming Irish/UK comics on it, could be a winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,333 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

and suggest "using the green room and backstage areas to create a relaxed, off-the-cuff, cafe/pub vibe". They want to create a "fun, playful space where the rules are different

Vommed a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭The Sun King

Vommed a little.

Sounds like something a candidate for Student Union President would come out with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Red Kev

I suppose it's worth a shot, but at this stage I'm very apathetic towards RTE chat shows. I'd prefer if it was on a different evening and actually put some decent mid week films on instead.

My only worry is this........
    Duggie2012 wrote: »
    you can almost guess the guests already. i'm thinking neil delamere straight off.......car crash i'm seeing

Yes, I think the guests will be predictable and will spend a lot of time laughing at how hilarious each other is. We will all know them from dozens of appearances in similar programmes. I'll watch a couple of them, but I suspect that will be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭Lights On

1.12 million for a chat show?? There's been award winning films made for less!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,728 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Vommed a little.

Like totes

• Registered Users Posts: 8,389 ✭✭✭cml387

No matter how much money they throw at it, it will never be as good as Nighthawks.

When this new programme results in the resignation of a taoisech, then you can call me wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,553 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Duggie2012 wrote: »

Keith Walsh and Al Porter seem to be telly alot now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,407 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

From reading the OP, straight off thought of Keith walshe. He's flavour of the month

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

cml387 wrote: »
    No matter how much money they throw at it, it will never be as good as Nighthawks.

When this new programme results in the resignation of a taoisech, then you can call me wrong.

Wasn't it sinking Lenahin's presidential bid?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,415 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Sounds a bit like a TFI Friday effort.

On another note how does a set for the Darcy Show cost €136,000? It's plywood a table and some paint.You could build a bloody house for that.
    The level of waste in that place must be mind boggling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭ahlookit

mansize wrote: »
    Wasn't it sinking Lenahin's presidential bid?

Sean Doherty said Charlie Haughey knew about the phone tapping of journalists (Geraldine Kennedy and Bruce Arnold) on an episode of Nighthawks. Previously Doherty carried the can for it alone (he was minister for Justice when the tapping took place and Haughey was Taoiseach). Then about 10 years later he pops up on a chat show and blows the lid on it. That was the death knell for Haugheys time in office.

Here's an article from the Journal last year (to coincide with the Haughey TV series)

http://www.thejournal.ie/charlie-nighthawks-1886096-Jan2015/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

This sounds smart and ballsy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭PeterTheEighth

The should put Brendan on The Saturday Night show and put D'Arcy back on TodayFM.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭PeterTheEighth

Panti Bliss, Vogue Williams, Amy Huberman, Gerald Kean, Amanda Brunker....yawn. I'd rather watch that puddle in Newcastle of an evening.

This is what I would be more worried about, rather than Brendan's presenting. All the usual RTE hangers on.. Paddy Cullivan, Fiona Looney, Maeve Higgins, Amanda Brunker, Andrew Maxwell, PJ Gallagher. *shudders* :(

It's nothing new if they just use the same people that we didnt really like in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Lights On wrote: »
    1.12 million for a chat show?? There's been award winning films made for less!

That's for the whole series, not for one episode. So 10 hours of television or thereabouts about about 111,000 p/hour. Big studio TV shows aren't cheap apparently.
    Ipso wrote: »
    This sounds smart and ballsy.

We should invest in this show!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭DerekDGoldfish

kneemos wrote: »
    Sounds a bit like a TFI Friday effort.

On another note how does a set for the Darcy Show cost €136,000?
    It's plywood a table and some paint.You could build a bloody house for that.
    The level of waste in that place must be mind boggling.

€135,500 for the design consultants to tell them what it should look like €500 for the materials in B&Q.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

As bad as his show is on Saturday night, he'd be absolutely dreadful in a panel show.

Ray has the same monotone look+laff as he did on Blackboard Jungle:D

Advertisement