Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best historical fights that are on Fight Pass

Options
  • 31-12-2015 5:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭

UFC 189 was the very first time I ever watched an MMA fight. I purely tuned it to see what all the McGregor hype was about. Since he wasn't on until 6am though I sat through the entire undercard. I thought it'd be a chore. I was wrong. By the time McDonald/Lawler started up I was already transfixed but that fight just sealed the deal. Since then I've watched a couple of other events but now I want to start watching some of the older fights.

I bought myself a present of Fight Pass and have been checking out the best fights of this year to start with. There are so many older fights though that I simply don't know were to begin.

So, could posters please name 3 fights from before 2015 that they'd recommend (that are actually available on Fight Pass)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Diego Sanchez v Gilbert Melendez

Mark Hunt v Big Foot Silva

Triujillo v Varner

Theres 3 I think cant of in the last year and a half maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

UFC 189 was the very first time I ever watched an MMA fight. I purely tuned it to see what all the McGregor hype was about. Since he wasn't on until 6am though I sat through the entire undercard. I thought it'd be a chore. I was wrong. By the time McDonald/Lawler started up I was already transfixed but that fight just sealed the deal. Since then I've watched a couple of other events but now I want to start watching some of the older fights.

I bought myself a present of Fight Pass and have been checking out the best fights of this year to start with. There are so many older fights though that I simply don't know were to begin.

So, could posters please name 3 fights from before 2015 that they'd recommend (that are actually available on Fight Pass)

Frankie Edgar v Gray Maynard (both fights)
    Chuck Liddell v Wanderlei Silva
    Jon Jones v Alexander Gustaffson
    Frank Mir v Nogueira
    Anderson Silva v Chael Sonnen 1

Too many to list. Could be here all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Gamebred wrote: »
    Diego Sanchez v Gilbert Melende

Triujillo v Varner

Just watched these 2 to start with. Great calls. Diego Sanchez is a beast!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,203 ✭✭✭sonic85

Forrest griffin vs stephan bonner from the ultimate fighter 1 finale. That's the fight that got me hooked on MMA. In fact the full TUF first series is a really good watch IMO.

Either of chang sung jungs fights against Leonard garcia.

I liked the WEC title fight between jose aldo and urijah faber. Masterclass from aldo

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭jjdonegal

I'd say go back and watch UFC 1. Look at the origins and literally watch Royce Gracie transform how people viewed fighting. Well at least in my eyes.
    Regarding 3 of my personal favorite fights in no order that I like to look back at every so often:
    Randy Couture vs Tim Sylvia
    Jones vs. Gustafsson
    Aldo vs. Mendes 2

However there are so many, many more!
    Edgar vs Maynard 2 + 3
    Edgar vs Henderson (both fights)
    Edgar vs Penn (both fights; always liked Edgar as you'll guess)
    Fedor vs Cro Crop
    Diego Sanchez as people said!
    Loved watching GSP in all his fights; an absolutely phenomenal athlete and I suppose the Fitch fight stands out for me.

Literally too many to name; as I said on another thread few weeks back; it's great to watch the sport evolve and watching a events a few years apart is great for that!
    Someone else pointed out watching fighters evolve is fun.

Anyway; Fight Pass is class and you'll love it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

Alot of my first choices have already been said so I'll give you 3 that haven't yet!

Nick Diaz v Paul Daley in Strikeforce is great. Probably one of the greatest rounds ever.

Matt Hughes v Frank Trigg

Matt Brown v Robbie Lawler is one of my favourite fights ever. I'm in the minority though, but I think it's a great fight.

When I got Fightpass I watched the Pride events in full. You should do that too, great fights, fighters and fight cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,349 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Just 3...

Hughes v Trigg (from: UFC 52)
    Silva V Liddell (UFC 79)
    Kongo V Barry (UFC on Versus)

3 For the week thats in it;

Condit V Kim (UFC 132)
    Lawler V Ellenberger (UFC 173)
    Miocic V Struve (UFC on Fuel)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,349 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

TimRiggins wrote: »

Matt Hughes v Frank Trigg

Matt Brown v Robbie Lawler is one of my favourite fights ever. I'm in the minority though, but I think it's a great fight.

Copped you'd said Hughes/Trigg (also the second fight I'd assume)

Lawler Brown was a solid fight one of the great fights last year Browns fight with Erick Silva was a great watch too.

As seen as you already picked Hughes/Trigg I'll change that to Scott Smith V Pete Sell from the Ultimate Fighter 4 Finale instead; Happy New year all :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Sanchez - Parisyan is worth watching as there aren't many like Parisyan and Sanchez was relentless

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

My 3 for you are:

Dan Henderson v Shogun Rua (UFC 139)
    Jon Jones v Alexander Gustfafsson (UFC 165)
    Jose Aldo v Chad Mendes II (UFC 179)

I'd also recommend watching Weidman v Silva I and II. If you search for the event on Fight Pass (I is UFC 162, II is UFC 168) and skip to the fight through that instead of just selecting the fight, you'll get all the Joe Rogan build up etc before the walkouts which will build the story for you (especially leading up to the 2nd fight). You'll enjoy it. :)

• Advertisement

Jon Jones v Alexander Gustaffson
    jjdonegal wrote: »
    Jones vs. Gustafsson
    Paully D wrote: »
    Jon Jones v Alexander Gustfafsson (UFC 165)

I endeavour to watch every fight mentioned in this thread but since this one is getting so much love, I'm going to check it out next. Thanks guys :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,498 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Joe Lauzon vs Jim Miller

Chan Sung Jung vs Dustin Poirier

Anderson Silva vs Forrest Griffin (Silva got bored beating everyone at MW so took a fight at LHW for the craic)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,728 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Liddell v Ortiz
    Liddell v coture
    Just because they were HUGE fights back in the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

I remember it like it was just the other day but UFC 195 - Lawler v Condit was a good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭csallmighty

Fedor vs Randleman

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Leonard Garcia vs Chan Sung Jun I and II

Cheick Kongo vs Pat Barry

Rory MacDonald vs Nate Diaz (fairly one sided but a really great breakout performance from
    MacDonald
    ) - Spoiler just in case people get angry. :pac:

Frankie Edgar vs Gray Maynard II

BJ Penn vs Diego Sanchez

Andrei Arlovski vs Travis Browne (recent fight so not entirely sure if it's on there yet)

That should do you for now. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭weemcd

Look for the first fight between Anthony Pettis and Ben Henderson in WEC. All I'll say is wow.
    A recent classic is Wanderlei Silva vs Brian Stann in Japan
    Another is Bigfoot Silva vs Mark Hunt in Australia

Love these threads, reminds me of the great ones I've seen and also gives me a few new ones I've missed along the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭dilapidating

If you're a fan of BJJ, I recommend Rafael Natal v Tor Troeng.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I've recently gotten Fight Pass as well and it's so so good! I remember a few years ago when I was able to get the full collection of all UFC events from...... my cousin....... and watch them one after another in order.

My suggestion to the OP would be to do this eventually. Sure there are some stinkers along the way (Shamrock v Severn 2 where they weren't actually allowed punch each other), but I loved going through the events from start to finish and reliving the story.

Of course, it'll take ages to do it, but that's what Fight Pass is all about isn't it?

MrStuffins wrote: »

My suggestion to the OP would be to do this eventually.

As well as going through the fights mentioned in this thread in order (just on jjdonegal's recommendations now) I'm also watching the "Fight Of the Night" from each UFC event starting from UFC1 (It's a series on Fight Pass leading up to UFC 200).

Thanks for all the recommendations so far. It's been great viewing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

MrStuffins wrote: »
    I've recently gotten Fight Pass as well and it's so so good! I remember a few years ago when I was able to get the full collection of all UFC events from...... my cousin....... and watch them one after another in order

Ah yes , the American cousins

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Robbie Lawler v Melvin Manhoef !!!

Advertisement