Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Goals for 2016

Options
  • 28-12-2015 11:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭

I think I started this last year as well.

So folks, what big or not so big changes are you planning this year?

For me, I'll be trying to keep it simple:

Try and spend more time with my kid - took a month off work with her last year, this year I'll try and swing 6 weeks.

Get a dog - again really for my kid, but if it makes her happy then I'm happy.

Take the family on sun holiday for 2 weeks - the recession has meant that we haven't had a long holiday like this in about 4 years, well we're well on the way to clearing debts so with both parents working now I think we deserve it.

Do up the house, nothing major just needs some updating.

Get more certifications at work and start preparing for promotion in a few years when my kid starts secondary school.

Sort out weight and general fitness. Up the exercise, reduce the food and drink intake. Sounds easy, probably is! Just need to do it.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,334 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Bit of a major year for me is 2016.
    Moving into new house in March and then baby number 2 is on the way in May. So most of the time will be spent on those two.

Apart from that I
    1. want to get a promotion at work,
    2. Beat 23 minutes for a 5K,
    3. Improve my times over 5 mile, 10K, 10 mile and half marathon,
    4. Celebrate 40th in style,
    5. Goto France to the Euros,
    6. be happy for the moment rather than look to the future or regret the past.

Funny looking at this thread for last few years and see how the priorities changed:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,863 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

Goals to be short and sweet for me :)
    • Settle finances
    • Get back into shape
    • Sort the daily driver and weekend toys
    • Get my own place

It's not too much to aim for I hope...!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 418 ✭✭Confucius say

Finish purchase of house next month
    Stay in good shape
    Maybe drink a bit less
    Play a lot more piano
    Buy that classic merc I want
    Don't die at weird week long hippy psy-trance desert festival in August
    Don't get involved with any psycho women again

That'll do pig!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,411 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Continue on the long road to getting fit, making progress but it's a slow process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Usernemises

Stopping smoking for good is my main goal, Also have to try move my family to a bigger house. Here's to a quiet stress free year ahead for me so.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

Pawwed Rig wrote:
    Apart from that I 1. want to get a promotion at work, 2. Beat 23 minutes for a 5K, 3. Improve my times over 5 mile, 10K, 10 mile and half marathon, 4. Celebrate 40th in style, 5. Goto France to the Euros, 6. be happy for the moment rather than look to the future or regret the past.

No offence but do half them it'll be a great achievement. . (That might spur you on more, I know it would me :-) ) but seriously there's a lot there.

My 2 tiny ones are start a swear box, stick to it, and eat 3 meals a day(work around my breaks not vice versa )

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,334 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

No offence but do half them it'll be a great achievement. . (That might spur you on more, I know it would me :-) ) but seriously there's a lot there.

If I do #2 then #3 will follow easily as I am still a novice at the longer distances. The Euros are happening and will have my 40th over there so there are 2 more achievable. The house is also happening as is the baby. The promotion is the only one not within my control at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Make more of an effort in the dating game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭GFT

1. Stop Drinking as I am turning thirty and haven't been enjoying it for a long while.
    2. Get my Diploma
    3. Get Driving licence
    4. Start dating

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

2015 was a busy year..

2016 is looking more so..

1) Become a dad again
    2) Plough away with the Masters
    3) Work promotion, likely at the end of the year :eek:
    4) Regain fitness

Ill leave it at that!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21 Idle Billy

Don't die at weird week long hippy psy-trance desert festival in August

That'll do pig!!
    Don't tell me that's that burning man thing. I heard a hippy who wouldn't stop raving about it... but there's no toilets there!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,925 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The big one for me is finding a new job by the end of 2016 as I only have a year left on my contract. I'm on a research grant so it can't be renewed. I need to have a bit of a think about my career in general.

I think I managed to make a significant dent in my procrastinating last year and took up hiking. Would like to keep going with that as well as using my free time productively as opposed to watching nonsense on Youtube or the TV.

Finally, I've put on a fair bit of weight that needs taking off. Fortunately, it's down almost entirely to me indulging my sweet tooth so there's a fairly obvious target for me to take aim at.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Get a new job after my last one expired.

Get at least a 2:1 in my higher cert and then progress to my degree.

Start buying shares.

If I get a job, get one in a coffee shop, so I have experience when I start my own one.

Celebrate my 20th next week. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I usually try to keep my goals to a 4 month timeline at any one time.

I'm finished college in May so this is my priority at the moment from now until then.

- Finish college placement.
    - Stay on top of remaining assignments.
    - Study hard but not to completely overdo it.

I've also joined a gym and want to work on some fitness which I've been neglecting for a while now. It's close by to my college so it shouldn't be too difficult to make some time for exercising. Given how lengthy some of the gaps in the college timetable, this'll make getting to the gym a lot easier during the day before my next class.

I'd like to develop a bit more willpower for myself along the way. Being able to say no to alcohol/take away foods/people every now and again would be a big thing for me.

It's not an exhaustive list but with a 4 month plan, I can readjust for the next third of the year if needs be.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Listen to one new album a week
    Read 15-20 books in the year, means putting the phone down!
    Keep up the exercise regime I started

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

My main goal for this year is to give up cigarettes starting on Monday, giving them up mainly for health & financial reasons, because at €10.50 for a box of 20 every 3 days is madness.

And i'm going to try and start walking..

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭martin101

To run 1000km this year. 12 done so far

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    €10.50 for a box of 20 every 3 days is madness.

Need some motivation? That's nearly €1300 a year! You'll definitely notice that.

Pac1Man wrote: »
    Need some motivation? That's nearly €1300 a year! You'll definitely notice that.

I know, i've done up the cost before.. There's a lot i could do with €1300.

Giving up smoking will be one of the best decisions you ever make. 7 years off them now myself. Add up those cash savings ;)

• Advertisement

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Giving up smoking will be one of the best decisions you ever make. 7 years off them now myself. Add up those cash savings ;)

7 years fair play, did you find it tough packing them in, or did a proverbial lightbulb go off in your head?

It was my second time of trying having given them up for 2 years previously before relapsing. Was difficult and I had to be selfish about it going as far as cutting some smokers from my social circle (the less supportive ones who would always insist on sitting in smoking areas and offer their cigarettes around every time).
    As you get older you realise you are not invincible and that the 1 out of 2 smokers that die because of it is just as likely to be you as the next person.
    A word of warning and this was told to me many years ago and I found it to be true. You are either a smoker or a non smoker. 'Cutting down' is a stupid waste of time and doesn't work. Also the 'I only smoke when drinking' crew. This is one way to guarantee that you go back on them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,341 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I think I managed to make a significant dent in my procrastinating last year and took up hiking. Would like to keep going with that as well as using my free time productively as opposed to watching nonsense on Youtube or the TV.

Out of interest, did you do a navigation course or anything like that? I've been thinking of doing one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,925 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Out of interest, did you do a navigation course or anything like that? I've been thinking of doing one.

I didn't, no. I only go out for the day, wouldn't be bothered camping or anything like that. I have a wee book with maps, directions and such.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 28,760 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

New job but with preferably the same flexible start/finish times and working from home options as I have now. Problem is I work in IT (management level) and I need something further south rather than Dublin and they're not as easy to find as the soundbites would have you believe.

Oh and also hopefully find myself a part time job.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

- Renovate the gaff
    - Meet a girl and not bail within 4 months
    - Continue to progress training while also avoiding injury
    - Call my parents more often
    - Transfer into my desired role in work
    - Learn some more Polish
    - Meditate regularly
    - Read more, watch/play less

Think that's enough!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

- Get a part time job
    - Finish college
    - Do more in the gym
    - Buy a decent bicycle, learn proper maintenance
    - Read more / Listen to more audiobooks

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    I know, i've done up the cost before.. There's a lot i could do with €1300.
    There's apps for quitting smoking that push notifications on how your health and financial milestones are being hit - very good to keep motivation & remind you of progress.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Goal One: stay alive
    Goal Two: keep my job
    Goal three: take over the world

Advertisement