Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW v Skoda Advice

Options
  • 17-12-2015 5:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hey everyone, I need some advice....

131 BMW
    M Sport

or

161 Skoda Octavia VRS
    184 BHP

Same price, which would you choose? IF, you were a student.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Sigerson wrote: »

131 BMW
    M Sport

or

161 Skoda Octavia VRS
    184 BHP

As a student I couldnt chose either.

A colleague has a 151 Skoda Octavia VRS. Class car with a lot of toys. Very nice to drive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Wild Garlic

131 BMW
    M Sport

or

161 Skoda Octavia VRS
    184 BHP

Show off

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Sigerson

godtabh wrote: »
    As a student I couldnt chose either.

A colleague has a 151 Skoda Octavia VRS. Class car with a lot of toys. Very nice to drive.

I heard the same, just wanted to see if others agreed. Good power in it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,142 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Your not really comparing like with like there. Both are from different segments. The 3 Series is 40bhp down on the Octavia but the Octavia has more room in it and probably has a bit more equipment as standard.

Have you driven either?

What would you guys think about switching from a Ford to Skoda?

A couple people have been saying I would be mad to change, but I think that's just down to the fact that they just see a brand name (i.e. historically, Skoda have had a poor name) whereas others actually know where different components of the car come from. For example, some of the parts are the same ones used in Volkswagen cars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭CIP4

A couple people have been saying I would be mad to change, but I think that's just down to the fact that they just see a brand name (i.e. historically, Skoda have had a poor name) whereas others actually know where different components of the car come from. For example, some of the parts are the same ones used in Volkswagen cars.

I didn't think Skodas have had a poor name. They were always VW's budget brand of car where as now Seat seem to be as Skoda have upped their prices in recent years. They share most of Vw's parts with vw and same engines drivetrain chassis etc. You have to remember they are all part of the Volkswagen Audi group. Just VW's without the badges really. I don't think Ford are anyway superior to Skoda the BMW would be the more prestigious one to own well that's what the average public think not necessarily what I think. Id personally take the Octavia as its a high spec well powered brand new car for the same money as the BMW if it was a poverty spec Octavia 1.6tdi then Id take the BMW.

CIP4 wrote: »
    I didn't think Skodas have had a poor name. They were always VW's budget brand of car where as now Seat seem to be as Skoda have upped their prices in recent years. They share most of Vw's parts with vw and same engines drivetrain chassis etc. You have to remember they are all part of the Volkswagen Audi group. Just VW's without the badges really. I don't think Ford are anyway superior to Skoda the BMW would be the more prestigious one to own well that's what the average public think not necessarily what I think. Id personally take the Octavia as its a high spec well powered brand new car for the same money as the BMW if it was a poverty spec Octavia 1.6tdi then Id take the BMW.

Yeah, the main thing that's driving me towards the Skoda is the fact that I would go for the VRS as it has a lot of extras, has the sat nav and I quite like the body kit on it to.

I have a Ford Focus Sport at the moment and that has a very nice body kit but no real extras inside. Thats a 2012 now and I want to try and change it now so I can get a good price for it as it's very low mileage as well.

I've had no problems with it, it's just a balls to keep the white clean!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,491 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

It would depend on what options are fitted to the 318.
    I would leaning towards the VRs.....

• Registered Users Posts: 81,280 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

As a student what would your annual mileage be? Is resale value or running costs an issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Had a similar decision to make myself, went for a 161 GTD over a 131/141 320 Msport. Things like 3 years servicing, 3 year warranty, better spec, apple carplay swayed it for me.

• Advertisement

As a student what would your annual mileage be? Is resale value or running costs an issue?

Well I've done about 38,000km over the last 3 years so I suppose nearly 13,000km a year.
    Thats the mileage on the '12 Focus so that's quite low.

I assume the BMW would hold its value well as it is an M Sport.

As for the Skoda, I heard that when I would be trading that in again the future then I would have to go back to a Skoda dealer or a smaller dealer with it.

For example, I've been to a BMW dealer and they told me they wouldn't be interested in a trade- in but I know I would get a good price if I sold my own Focus privately as its a Sport model.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭KwackerJack

Skoda, drove the Octavia and Superb and they are beautiful to drive

I drove a 2008 3 Series a few weeks back and I did not like it at all. Felt very cheap for the price tag. Closing the doors I felt as if I'd break them if I closed them to hard. I really hope the newer ones have improved because the public opinion that they are a luxury car is wrong as my old 06 IS250 was miles ahead in comfort and quality!

My mate bought a 2009 520 Diesel from BMW and all I say is hr is very lucky he has the 2 year BMW warranty, At least he has a new rear diff now, and a steering rack!!

Had a similar decision to make myself, went for a 161 GTD over a 131/141 320 Msport. Things like 3 years servicing, 3 year warranty, better spec, apple carplay swayed it for me.

Same situation so really.

Just the "prestige" attached to having a BMW is attractive but I suppose you can get better specs in other cars for a lesser price.

The VRS has 184 BHP and would only cost an extra €200 in terms of insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭KwackerJack

Same situation so really.

Just the "prestige" attached to having a BMW is attractive but I suppose you can get better specs in other cars for a lesser price.

The VRS has 184 BHP and would only cost an extra €200 in terms of insurance.

The prestige does not always hold up :p I was travelling to Tullamore one morning and a black 2008 5 series 525 passed me out with a little fiat 500 Abarth following behind, BMW decided to flaunt his prestige.....and lost :)

If you buy a car just on looks and public perception you'll spend a fortune and be bored very soon....be different ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

The prestige does not always hold up :p...
    If you buy a car just on looks and public perception you'll spend a fortune and be bored very soon....be different ;)
    The prestige of many coveted brands in ireland goes out the window very quick when all the cousins come home for the christmas in Limerick. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

What's the spec of the 3 series? That would have a big bearing on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

Skoda, more grunt, essentially same as vw, newer car, more toys.simples

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

if the 3 series has power seats, navigation and some nice other spec that would be my pic. Drives nicer and has a lot more appeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

Skoda everytime....
    much nicer car to drive than the 318... 318 in low spec feels cheap..
    318 as its one of the entry models for the 3 series, imho doesnt live up to what a 3 series should be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

CIP4 wrote: »
    I didn't think Skodas have had a poor name. They were always VW's budget brand of car

Hehe I guess you're under 35 and don't remember them as the iron curtain sh1t boxes they were for most of their history. In the 80's every school boy had a collection of Lada and Skoda jokes.

• Advertisement

if the 3 series has power seats, navigation and some nice other spec that would be my pic. Drives nicer and has a lot more appeal.

This is Ireland. It won't.

This is Ireland. It won't.

a lot of uk imports doing the rounds lately

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

A brand new skoda or a pre owned 3 year old bm.

Skoda for me every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

The 3 series will have the infamous timing chain problem, so that's out before we've even started for me. A shame because in every other respect it is a much better car, drove an Octavia recently and while there's certainly nothing wrong with it (and in many ways it's very very good), it's about as interesting as watching paint dry to drive. Admittedly the one I drove was a 1.6 TDI with the non independent suspension, and a vRS will have proper rear suspension so it will be somewhat better, but the BMW has rear wheel drive.

The 3 series will have the infamous timing chain problem, so that's out before we've even started for me. A shame because in every other respect it is a much better car, drove an Octavia recently and while there's certainly nothing wrong with it (and in many ways it's very very good), it's about as interesting as watching paint dry to drive.

Bit of a difference between the softer sprung 1.6 diesel one you drove and the VRS to be fair. I wouldn't judge what you think it would be like by that. Although I'd prefer the BMW over one from that point of view, maybe a decently specced 320d to close the performance gap.

OP would a Golf GTI or Leon Cupra appeal given your small mileage? Overall cost to own on the Golf on particular might make it cheaper.

The 3 series will have the infamous timing chain problem, so that's out before we've even started for me. A shame because in every other respect it is a much better car, drove an Octavia recently and while there's certainly nothing wrong with it (and in many ways it's very very good), it's about as interesting as watching paint dry to drive. Admittedly the one I drove was a 1.6 TDI with the non independent suspension, and a vRS will have proper rear suspension so it will be somewhat better, but the BMW has rear wheel drive.

timing chain issue also ended in 2011 afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Imagine this thread title in 1988. Skoda sure have come a long way. A masterclass in brand reinvention by VAG.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

timing chain issue also ended in 2011 afaik

No they still have the problem after 2011 despite BMW's claims to the contrary.

Fair point Muppet Check, I accept I'm probably being a bit harsh on the Skoda but that was my honest opinion of it based on what I found. It is a good car but like a Toyota it is utterly boring to drive, though as you rightly point out a vRS should be considerably better. Still, I can't see how it will come close to a 3 series for driving pleasure, I've driven an M3 and I know a regular 3 series isn't going to be even half the car that is (given the price of a new M3, I should bloody well hope so), but even allowing for that I'd still expect a 3 series to be far more entertaining to drive than a vRS Octavia.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,417 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I lov my BMWs but giving me a choice between a 318D "shudder" or a brand new VRS and I'll pick the Skoda every time.
    If it was a 320D coupe or something a bit more powerful than the 318D then maybe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

A couple people have been saying I would be mad to change, but I think that's just down to the fact that they just see a brand name (i.e. historically, Skoda have had a poor name

hang on here, we are talking a hypothetical ford to skoda. In terms of street cred, I would have them pretty much neck and neck. We arent talking about going from a bentley etc to a skoda. Sure even bm, merc audi are common as muck on the roads here and this is coming from a bm driver...

2 things about the bm, firstly the 320d will likely have the same tax but good bit more bhp, secondly the potential timing chain issues as has been mentioned...

just checked, the 2011-15 318d = 141bhp and 181 in the 320d...

Advertisement