Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Android Launcher?

Options
  • 05-12-2015 5:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭

My current launcher is the Google Now Launcher and I have to say I really like the look of it and how Gnow swipes out from the far left screen but I've been looking at using a new Launcher to allow me to customise my homescreen the way I would like it, the most popular one from googling seems to be Nova Launcher Prime, I'm wondering has many people here used this and if they would recommend it?

Any other ones you would recommend?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Ya Nova for me. Customisations to the nth degree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

You could also install Xposed, there are modules to modify the Google Now launcher, this is what I use

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭Ionised

Used to use Nova but changed to Apex a couple of years ago and haven't looked back. Tried most of the big ones but still come back to Apex.
    FYI currently using Nexus 6 with Chroma rom

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

sentient_6 wrote: »
    Ya Nova for me. Customisations to the nth degree.

+1 for Nova, it's like all the goodness of stock only better as it lets you do things stock won't. used Apex but always end back with Nova...

Love the new gesture for quick finding apps :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,794 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Is the Google now launcher the only one where you can say "ok Google"?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭G1032

Action Launcher 3
    Nova
    Apex
    KK Launcher

They're the best 4 I've used. Using Action Launcher 3 for the past few months

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Is the Google now launcher the only one where you can say "ok Google"?
    I think Nova allows it too, but I don't have it turned on because it kills my battery.

Another vote for Nova here.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭DanC90

You could also install Xposed, there are modules to modify the Google Now launcher, this is what I use

I've heard a lot about Xposed but I have seen some people have problems with it like causing phones to slow down or drain battery etc.
    But assuming I wouldn't have any problems like that what changes could I make to the Gnow Launcher with this?
    I think Nova allows it too, but I don't have it turned on because it kills my battery.

This is something that concerns me about switching, I like using Ok Google sometimes but if it will drain my battery on a new Launcher I'd rather not use it.

Can I emulate the Google Now page to the left with Nova? I'm currently using a Vodafone Smart Ultra 6 and the stock launcher on it allows you to choose an app to launch when you swipe left from the homescreen.. This is the kind of thing I'm hoping to do with a new launcher, Also like the look of the One Plus 2's Shelf.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

G1032 wrote: »
    Action Launcher 3
    Nova
    Apex
    KK Launcher

They're the best 4 I've used. Using Action Launcher 3 for the past few months
    Smart Launcher is a must for me on phone and tablet (albeit with a bit of customization of icons and backgrounds etc)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

Use nova on all my devices. Using an su6 at the moment and nova is quicker than stock for me.

I ended up buying Nova and after an hour or 2 I've got it setup to close to where I want my setup to be, I set the home button action to on one press go back to home and on when on the homescreen if I press it again it launches Google Now so I'm happy with that, also like the widget overlapping and the padding setting is great looking for some app widgets.. I'll have to keep tinkering with it but so far so good :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭smilerf

To me they're all much as much

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

DanC90 wrote: »
    I ended up buying Nova and after an hour or 2 I've got it setup to close to where I want my setup to be, I set the home button action to on one press go back to home and on when on the homescreen if I press it again it launches Google Now so I'm happy with that, also like the widget overlapping and the padding setting is great looking for some app widgets.. I'll have to keep tinkering with it but so far so good :)

I just started looking at nova last night thanks to this thread. pretty impressed so far. What exactly does the padding do?

newbie2 wrote:
    I just started looking at nova last night thanks to this thread. pretty impressed so far. What exactly does the padding do?

In that case I'm glad I started it so :) I was surprised there wasn't a thread on it already tbh.. Anyways padding, it stretches out your widgets to make them go edge to edge of the screen which makes them look great IMO, I also like being able to configure the dock to have more slots available for my folders and but my favourite feature so far is the normalise icon size setting, this basically makes all icons the same size and its something I've always wanted to come to stock Android. I'm glad I got Nova.. However I also tried out Xposed XGELS module on my tablet and that too is very good at customising the Google Now Launcher but you need to root to do it and right now I don't want to root my phone because there's an OTA update expected soon for it so after that I'll think about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭RichT

I'm always trying new launchers, but I always return to Nova.

Nova Prime is now only 50c in the Play Store (Thanks to Techmaster in The Bargain Alerts Thread)

Nova Launcher Prime

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Arbie

RichT wrote: »
    I'm always trying new launchers, but I always return to Nova.

Nova Prime is now only 50c in the Play Store (Thanks to Techmaster in The Bargain Alerts Thread)

Nova Launcher Prime

Saw your post and went to buy it, store said 50c but when I clicked buy it was only 14c! Bargain, thanks

Arbie wrote:
    Saw your post and went to buy it, store said 50c but when I clicked buy it was only 14c! Bargain, thanks

Seriously!! I only bought it full price 2 days ago 😬

• Advertisement

DanC90 wrote:
    Seriously!! I only bought it full price 2 days ago 😬

I emailed to ask if I could get the discounted amount refunded to me and fair play they cancelled my order so I could buy it again at the discounted price :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,255 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

What's full price for nova?

Cienciano wrote:
    What's full price for nova?

€5.50 so it's a fiver off for now and at 50c it's well worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭delph09

how about apex launcher, I used it for long time without any issues

delph09 wrote:
    how about apex launcher, I used it for long time without any issues

I use to use Apex years ago around ICS/JB times and it was very good then, does it have any other features that Nova doesn't? Or that Apex does better?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭5star02707

started using Nova Launcher last night and seems like a good move indeed! it's still on sale at 50cents. Lot's of customization i learned! Goodbye Touchwiz! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

I installed Nova yesterday, buy reluctant to run it, as I need to make shortcuts to all my apps again :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭Ionised

After reading this thread it inspired me to try Nova again after having been a staunch Apex user for the last few years.

Been using Nova a couple of days now and it really has the same feature set as Apex. In all honesty there is little to choose between the two that I can find.

I stand ready to be corrected!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Patww79 wrote: »

Absolute life saver :)

Advertisement