Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Claim back postage from non UK Amazon sites

Options
  • 27-11-2015 2:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

For those buying from the french & german amazons there is a possibility of reclaiming the postage costs.

Take a note of the return address on the box when it arrives and most likely it will be from here or the UK.

If it was over £25 get in contact with customer service in the UK and ask about getting the postage back. They will pass the request over to the relevant country reps.

You will need your order number for chat.

They emailed me saying I didn't qualify as I wasn't shipping within France having used the french site but they emailed again saying I was being refunded €10 in postage. :D

Its worth a shot and no guarantees are given or implied in this post.:rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭SeanPuddin_

Very good but you should know you are now on a list. Somewhere in a dark room within Amazon HQ they are dissecting your search history with a view to sell your identity. Good luck with the rest of your life and thank you for the tip!

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭ridonkulous

Sorry for the stupid question but why does the return address being in Ireland or the UK entitle you or potentially entitle you to a refund on postage charges?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

Presumably because delivery is often free from Amazon uk and expensive if it's coming from further afield... If you spend €10 getting something shipped from Germany only to find out it it was sent from the UK with much lower postage costs, then I guess that's what he means?

I wouldn't do it tbh, a few things I've ordered from Amazon UK have arrived from Germany or France and when that happens it's not like they call me up looking for extra postage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Presumably because delivery is often free from Amazon uk and expensive if it's coming from further afield... If you spend €10 getting something shipped from Germany only to find out it it was sent from the UK with much lower postage costs, then I guess that's what he means?

I wouldn't do it tbh, a few things I've ordered from Amazon UK have arrived from Germany or France and when that happens it's not like they call me up looking for extra postage.

I ordered a bike lock from France and was charged postage.
    It actually shipped from the UK.
    UK over £25 is free postage. I asked for a refund and got it.

So because the return address is Ireland or UK it means it shipped from there?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Yes, I've also had a few this week from Clonshaugh !

• Registered Users Posts: 8,986 ✭✭✭Doge

I ordered a bike lock from France and was charged postage.
    It actually shipped from the UK.
    UK over £25 is free postage. I asked for a refund and got it.

Recently anything over £20 is free postage.

Jesus that was hard work with the amazon.es guy. I did manage to get the refund but not sure it was worth the effort he put me through. I'm assuming most people are getting loads of push back.

I ordered a few SD cards from Amazon DE and paid about a tenner postage. The stuff plainly came from the UK so can I legitimately claim back the €10?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

I think you should ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭yoshimitsu

I dont think that's necessarily the case. You may have an Irish return address because they want to use their Irish fulfillment center to process the return. It doesnt mean the shipment necessarily initiated from Ireland.
    I'll give you a real example: I ordered a child car seat from Amazon.it (Italian site) and had it shipped to Spain to use it during our holidays. I had ordered it on the Italian site because that brand/model wasnt available on Amazon.es. When the box arrived in Spain it had a Spanish return address even though the shipment had originated from Italy.

So it may be worthwhile to check where the parcel actually shipped from (the name of the courier and/or postage type/currency should give you some clues).

Advertisement