Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unprovoked attack on Dough Brothers owner, broken jaw...

Options
  • 25-11-2015 10:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/man-who-had-jaw-broken-in-one-punch-unprovoked-assault-has-metal-plates-inserted-34232951.html
    A YOUNG Galway man who had his jaw broken in three places in an unprovoked one punch attack is recovering in hospital after having two metal plates inserted in his jaw.

Ronan Greaney (23) was walking home in the early hours of Sunday morning when he was approached by a group of teens.
    The young man, who runs the popular Dough Bros Pizza place in Galway city with his brother Eugene, was subjected to an unprovoked assault by one of the young men leaving his with serious facial injuries.
    Yesterday he underwent surgery for over three and a half hours to have two plates permanently inserted into his jaw. He will also have his jaw wired shut for up to six weeks.

This is pretty shocking, and very similar to what happened to an American woman recently. It's horrible. Poor guy, my sympathies are with him, and I hope they catch the asshats who did this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

There are some vicious dead-enders around here. Most nights somebody is just randomly assaulted while out for a walk or going home after a night out.

Twice I've seen people about to attack somebody from behind, and they only stopped when they saw me watching them, and I've seen the end results of such attacks 3 times - two I've worked with and the third was just a guy behind me while I was withdrawing cash at an ATM on mainguard street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

There are some vicious dead-enders around here. Most nights somebody is just randomly assaulted while out for a walk or going home after a night out.

Twice I've seen people about to attack somebody from behind, and they only stopped when they saw me watching them, and I've seen the end results of such attacks 3 times - two I've worked with and the third was just a guy behind me while I was withdrawing cash at an ATM on mainguard street.

Your sig has irony

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

Tigger wrote: »
    Your sig has irony

Yes, yes it does - though it is only really for solving problems as opposed to having the lolz by hospitalising people.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Yes, yes it does - though it is only really for solving problems as opposed to having the lolz by hospitalising people.

That's ok so...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭death1234567

Not the first person who's been attacked by a bunch of teenage scum and won't be the last. As for hoping they get caught, what's the point? It's not like they'll get any punishment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭TheSegal

Not the first person who's been attacked by a bunch of teenage scum and won't be the last. As for hoping they get caught, what's the point? It's not like they'll get any punishment.

It's a sick joke that this is what everyone is starting to accept in this country based on our joke of a legal system. Hope Ronan makes a full recovery, really nice place and going to be difficult trying to keep things going over Christmas with one of the owners out of action for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

TheSegal wrote: »
    It's a sick joke that this is what everyone is starting to accept in this country based on our joke of a legal system. Hope Ronan makes a full recovery, really nice place and going to be difficult trying to keep things going over Christmas with one of the owners out of action for a while.

The poster has a point although it could be phrased better.

Judges are handing down extremely lenient sentences to people who already have multiple convictions.

From a Gardai perspective it has to be infuriating to arrest someone on an assault charge only to see them on the streets after a suspended sentence.

http://www.advertiser.ie/galway/article/44212/ballybane-man-gets-11-months-suspended-sentence-for-assault-charges

Is an example. 11 month sentence suspended for 2 years. The lad convicted had previous convictions of drink driving, robbery, public order and assault.

Same lad reoffends in 2014 - http://galwaybayfm.ie/three-men-sentenced-november-city-mugging/
    http://connachttribune.ie/jail-for-mugger-gang-caught-on-cctv-223/

Got a 2 year jail sentence but he's still on the streets as the sentence will be revisited next June.....

And that's from a 5 minute google search.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,296 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

The young man, who runs the popular Dough Bros Pizza place in Galway city
    I'm thinking the guy had a run in with one of "the family", and this was retribution.

With a bit of luck, a few of his friends band together, find the scumbag who did this, and give them karma.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Caliden wrote: »

Judges are handing down extremely lenient sentences to people who already have multiple convictions.

From a Gardai perspective it has to be infuriating to arrest someone on an assault charge only to see them on the streets after a suspended sentence.

Maybe it was this frustration that lead America to it's 3-strikes policy. In principal, I'm against it as it takes the power away from judges to decide the sentence according to the circumstances. But too often we've seen articles about scumbags with scores of offenses, "known" to gardai, meaning scores of victims, somehow not locked up? Export em to Sweden, their crime is so low they're closing 4 prisons.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

the_syco wrote: »
    I'm thinking the guy had a run in with one of "the family", and this was retribution.

With a bit of luck, a few of his friends band together, find the scumbag who did this, and give them karma.

Who are the family?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,905 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Just after been on the Joe Duffy show, very respectable family from Galway some in business, I would not name any person on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Ok so far some cards handed out and some posts removed.
    No speculation please. Discuss what's in official reports only.

Hope you make a full recovery Ronan!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭empacher

It's weird the amount of publicity it's getting I think, especially from national newspapers like the irish independent.

I had a friend who had the base of his skull broken and spent a few weeks in hospital having seizures. After somebody jumped him one night. It didn't make any newspapers.

Could be the power of social media these days and favours.

Wish him a quick recovery, and hopefully they catch the thugs.

But this thing happens all the time in Galway, there must be at least one person that gets there nose broken every weekend in galway. It's not really that big a deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,025 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

empacher wrote: »
    It's weird the amount of publicity it's getting I think, especially from national newspapers like the irish independent.

I had a friend who had the base of his skull broken and spent a few weeks in hospital having seizures. After somebody jumped him one night. It didn't make any newspapers.

Could be the power of social media these days and favours.

Wish him a quick recovery, and hopefully they catch the thugs.

But this thing happens all the time in Galway, there must be at least one person that gets there nose broken every weekend in galway. It's not really that big a deal.
    Better to keep quiet and hope nobody hears about it so i suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,566 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Bloody hell, I had someone swing a punch at me in Galway city about four years ago. It was a teenager with a few mates, by some fluke I saw it coming from the corner of my eye and managed to dodge it, his fist slid over my forehead, no real connection. It was a total haymaker and he was off balance and fell with a good shove from me.

His mates were laughing at him which led to embarrassment for the puncher and he got pretty annoyed and came at me swinging. Easy punches to avoid, he was livid, mortified, skinny and pissed, it all fizzled out after a few seconds, but I was fairly worried and had to put on a strong confrontational, confident vocal defense to calm things down. It was only me and my wife at 10pm!!

Pack of juvenile brats in the end, but it could have got ugly (for me!). I got the feeling it was some sort of "dare" game. If they keep it up they'll have success for a while, but it's only a matter of time before they pick on the wrong person, ie; a MMA fighter on a weekend break!

Still won't stop me visiting the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

The judges in this country are completely out of touch with reality. So many scumbags with dozens of convictions each roaming the streets daily and as much good work as the Gardaí do in trying to round them up, it's thrown back in their faces by moronic, cowardly judges because such and such gets a glowing character reference from the parish priest or has had a tough upbringing.

Who cares if jails are overcrowded? The point of jailing somebody is punishment. If you have multiple convictions for the same grievous crimes you're not likely to ever be rehabilitated back into society.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

This 'one punch' thing is apparently a competition now. I is vile and is happening more and more everywhere.
    You can kill someone with one punch. Stricter sentencing needs to be in place. This can (and does) happen to anyone, male/female young/old.
    Horrible

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

inisboffin wrote: »
    This 'one punch' thing is apparently a competition now. I is vile and is happening more and more everywhere.
    You can kill someone with one punch. Stricter sentencing needs to be in place. This can (and does) happen to anyone, male/female young/old.
    Horrible

It was a fad in the states for a while last year I think and people did die.

It wasn't until someone died that they started rounding up people though and it fizzled out.

There was a group of lads in Tuam who did the same thing. Picked random people to attack.
    It wasn't until several of them got sent to jail that it stopped.

On topic: hopefully this brings about extra policing in the city because hearing people say 'this is the norm' / 'nothing unusual here' is sad. Why should an assault be considered 'normal'?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13 Big Ian

Yeah started in America as the 'knockout game' or 'polar bear hunting'. Our native losers happily embraced it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,333 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

inisboffin wrote: »
    Horrible

I read in Vice that 3 people have been killed in Vancouver alone recently by this one punch craze. People walking home alone at night are obviously particularly vulnerable. Especially if they have a few jars on them and might not be aware of what's around them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Jack Daniels I

nasty

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭kefir32

its becoming a sad reflection of the world we live in when there are nut jobs who get a buzz out of inflicting maximum trauma to an unsuspecting person. I remember when there was a spate of these attacks in Oz a few years ago involving irish people on nights out. Small town Galway isn't immune to mindless thuggery anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭witnessrenegade

Yeah it was big in Oz, they were calling it the King Punch, got so bad they began running TV Ad's to try and stop it. Was attached myself many years ago and left in hospital for a while, hopefully the guy gets through it all good. Must go to the Dough Bros place, heard the pizza is amazing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Was attached myself many years ago and left in hospital for a while

Women....can't live with them, can't live without them.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,857 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

The sad thing is that it's easy to find the Guards at night. They are sitting in a warm car on the edge of town waiting for errant motorists whilst people are getting attacked on the streets.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Stevolende

Caliden wrote: »

Judges are handing down extremely lenient sentences to people who already have multiple convictions. .

20 years ago in Dublin you'd see pickpocket girls being arrested early in the day and back on the streets later that day because Mountjoy was overcriowded. Is that still happening?
    Think it was happening with guys too but I definitely saw girls getting arrested, holding foreign newspapers to disguise dipping handbags with and you'd see them back out almost immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭death1234567

Stevolende wrote: »
    Is that still happening?
    Yes. Most people who get a custodial sentences serve a few hours in a cell before getting remission/early release as there's no space for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Stevolende

THought that might have changed since I was seeing it because they expanded Mountjoy. Could easily be totally oput of step with increase in crime though and not sure iof expansion in Dublin would have any effect in Galway or other parts of the country anyway. Could be taht expansion was just after taht point anyway so long since ceased to make any difference to the amount of free spaces.
    I did hear that keeping an individual in jail cost an exorbitant amount per day anyway. So shame there isn't an alternative means of rehabilitation innit?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Something about a new pilot program targeting repeat offenders was just in the news last week. Lots of links here:

https://www.google.ie/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&es_th=1&ie=UTF-8#q=ireland+repeat+offenders&tbm=nws

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,312 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Hard to treat people that attack people without provocation.

Can only hope people like that get 10 shades of ****e hammered into them in jail

Advertisement