Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Diagnosed with health condition on TV

Options
  • 25-11-2015 4:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭

I was listening to NBC news yesterday and they covered a story about a presenter who was initially flagged for diagnosis by a nurse who was watching him on TV.
    Turned out he had a tumour in thyroid and had essential surgery and he and the viewer/nurse reunited after he recovered and was in remission.

It reminded me of some incident about 10+yrs ago when someone in the media spotlight here was on TV and some consultant spotted something and alerted via RTE , etc.
    My memory isn't serving me well and understandibly that's a very personal story.
    From recollection the person appearing on TV in this incident also got potentially life saving surgery following the tip off.
    Can anyone recall who that was ?
    Not sure if it was an Irish politician on a current affairs programme or an entertainer.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭NapoleonInRags

ifconfig wrote: »
    I was listening to NBC news yesterday and they covered a story about a presenter who was initially flagged for diagnosis by a nurse who was watching him on TV.
    Turned out he had a tumour in thyroid and had essential surgery and he and the viewer/nurse reunited after he recovered and was in remission.

It reminded me of some incident about 10+yrs ago when someone in the media spotlight here was on TV and some consultant spotted something and alerted via RTE , etc.
    My memory isn't serving me well and understandibly that's a very personal story.
    From recollection the person appearing on TV in this incident also got potentially life saving surgery following the tip off.
    Can anyone recall who that was ?
    Not sure if it was an Irish politician on a current affairs programme or an entertainer.

It was Michael Noonan wasn't it and just in the last couple of years?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

Telly bingo lad. Had his penis removed?

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭ifconfig

Spot on about Michael Noonan... but actually I was thinking about a good while earlier.
    Michael Noonan search term helped me locate it.
    It was actually Conor Lenihan.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/noonan-not-first-td-to-have-a-condition-diagnosed-on-live-tv-1.2108764

Just on that - I find the new "You should really see a doctor" series quite good.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Walter Bishop

ifconfig wrote: »
    Spot on about Michael Noonan... but actually I was thinking about a good while earlier.
    Michael Noonan search term helped me locate it.
    It was actually Conor Lenihan.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/noonan-not-first-td-to-have-a-condition-diagnosed-on-live-tv-1.2108764

Just on that - I find the new "You should really see a doctor" series quite good.

James Grey, the doctor who saw Noonan on TV, is now the guy who is being hounded for being the whistle blower at Tallaght Hospital.

I'm not sure if entirely related, but I seem to remember on American Idol/X-Factor/one such show, Simon Cowell noticed that one such contestant had a very odd voice, like there was something wrong as opposed to being bad, and advised her to go to the doctor. She did and turned out there was some issue with her throat that would have led to complications if she hadn't gone sooner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

I'm not sure if entirely related, but I seem to remember on American Idol/X-Factor/one such show, Simon Cowell noticed that one such contestant had a very odd voice, like there was something wrong as opposed to being bad, and advised her to go to the doctor. She did and turned out there was some issue with her throat that would have led to complications if she hadn't gone sooner.

Here it is. I suppose even someone as cloth-eared as Cowell is good for something.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-483783/Simon-Cowell-saved-life-says-X-Factor-singer-diagnosed-lung-infection.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

There is also the story of Billy Connolly who was given a heads up about parkinson's by a doctor who notice his gait.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2566601/Billy-Connolly-discovered-Parkinsons-disease-Australian-fan-spotted-odd-walk-told-tested.html

The 71-year-old Scottish star told how a Tasmanian doctor diagnosed him on the spot after seeing him walking through a hotel lobby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

On the same theme, A doctor/surgeon was at a Wilko Johnson gig (who had cancer and that was well known) and he wondered about the fact Johnson was still able to play live given the prognosis and its schedule so he got in touch with him and they had another look and decided Johnson could be operated on after all and that saved his life.

Advertisement