Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any Harley owners on here?

Options
  • 13-10-2015 7:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭

got this idea lately :eek: that i should get a Harley, never been that much into them at all, I'm just getting old i guess and fancy something different to the list of Japanese bikes I've had, so who has HD experience, I'm looking at an 883, not too bothered about any of the others at the minute, id only be using it for weekend spins etc, nothing major, anyone share their thoughts or experiences, thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,182 ✭✭✭✭blade1

thelawman wrote: »
    got this idea lately :eek: that i should get a Harley, never been that much into them at all, I'm just getting old i guess and fancy something different to the list of Japanese bikes I've had, so who has HD experience, I'm looking at an 883, not too bothered about any of the others at the minute, id only be using it for weekend spins etc, nothing major, anyone share their thoughts or experiences, thanks,

My brother has an 883.
    I drove it once.
    Thought it was the worst bike I ever drove.
    Just thought everything about it was crap.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

I've one.

Started with a Sportster 1200, great bike in the city and a pile of pants on a motorway. 1st trip was from Dublin to Cork, just not comfy. Now riding a Softail and its far better on longer trips but a little, emmmm brickish in twisties. Lots of folks I know have sportsters and love them, do plenty of long drives and didn't have the same issues as me, so I suppose its just up to yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭landmarkjohn

My neighbour had an 883, first spin was Limerick to Dublin, he was crying by the time he got to Nenagh and wanted to turn around. He didn't like it, said it was uncomfortable.

Some people say Harleys are great bikes but you'd need to keep your screwdriver between your teeth i.e. close to hand.

I understand the appeal, a great sound and they look good... on balance I would say if you fancy it go for it, you only live once!

My neighbour had an 883, first spin was Limerick to Dublin, he was crying by the time he got to Nenagh and wanted to turn around. He didn't like it, said it was uncomfortable. (edit: now that I think about it I think the bike had mods that move your feet forward easy rider style)

Some people say Harleys are great bikes but you'd need to keep your screwdriver between your teeth i.e. close to hand.

I understand the appeal, a great sound and they look good... on balance I would say if you fancy it go for it, you only live once!

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭anto9

If i won the Lotto i would get an electro glide .Otherwise no ,as BMWs are my thing .

• Advertisement

anto9 wrote: »
    If i won the Lotto i would get an electro glide .Otherwise no ,as BMWs are my thing .

I test rode the Electra Glide down at the Bikefest in Killarney. Some machine, €30K :eek: nice, but not €30K nice.

Might be a good idea for the OP, if you haven't bit the bullet by next June Bank Holiday get yourself down to Bikefest (assuming it's running again), bring your licence and test ride any Harley you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

I want a 1994 Heritage Softail:

002.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭thelawman

thanks for the replies, I didn't realise it was such an unpopular choice, I might try get a test ride in Dublin Harley,

b0383_2016-Harley-Davidson-Iron883-Beauty01.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Awesome looking bike

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭cycocycle

I'm on my 10th Harley. You could say I'm a fan but I'm in no way blind to their shortcomings. They do everything I want a bike to do and the old chestnut about reliability is not an issue any more. I drove mine (2012 Fatboy) 3000 miles around France only checking the oil and filling the fuel tank. Every type of scene has its genuine heads and its clowns who are blinkered to every other type of bike. If you like crazy speed with razor sharp handling a Harley will be hell. If on the other hand the lazier approach suits you then it might be perfect.Sportsters can feel a little cramped and agricultural particularly if youre used to japanese smoothness. 883s in particular are a bit asthmatic. Talk to the dealer, there is a surprising variety of Harleys and you should find something.Long story short, try it and see for yourself. Everyone has an opinion but only yours counts.
    Some tips if you do take the plunge. 1.Service regularly with good quality oil and filter. 2.The paint finish on the mudguards can be ropey so keep it clean and waxed to maintain the finish/re-sale. 3.Use a good quality battery and keep it in top condition with an Optimate (not a cheap trickle charger). I learned this after buying 2 batteries (240 each) for my girlfriends bike and mine and then 2 optimates (60 each). 4. Ride it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,234 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

blade1 wrote: »
    My brother has an 883.
    I drove it once.
    Thought it was the worst bike I ever drove.
    Just thought everything about it was crap.:(

My dad had a few and would have the same opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

My brother's '94 Heritage Softail, modified a wee bit & a pig to ride :cool:

nIALXQo.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭thelawman

I'd rather walk than look like that,

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

..After 30+ BMW's.....on a Harley for 7 years now. 1 repair in 7 years at €40. ....performing better than the R series....and doesn't rust like a GS either ( GS1200 before the H-D )

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

:cool:
    thelawman wrote: »
    I'd rather walk than look like that,
    It don't float my boat neither, I prefer stripped down bobbers meself :cool:

Mesrine65 wrote: »
    My brother's '94 Heritage Softail, modified a wee bit & a pig to ride :cool:...

I have a strange goo on me for springer front-ends. Is that one of Ger "Mutley" Conlon's, be any chance?

jimgoose wrote: »
    I have a strange goo on me for springer front-ends. Is that one of Ger "Mutley" Conlon's, be any chance?
    Give that man a gold star...spot on :cool:

Give that man a gold star...spot on :cool:

Some man, that fella. See attached photos of another from him, the award-winning Rattle-and-Hum taken at the Killumney bike show in 2011.

I'm not a typical H-D owner - I bought it as a change from everything else, and it was so good I've kept it. I itch for another bike now, and am going to NEC to try everything in December, but I'll keeping the H-D.

Finish and quality of paint etc is very good, and it also doesn't rust anything like a GS does (which is bloody awful btw), I got shot of my GS1200 in short order, a long time ago, as I could see what was coming....

Mine is here: DSC00012-M.jpg

I've chosen that pic as it's clean in it:) Tbh, I use mine nearly everyday, winter/summer, and I use it for all manner of things, including marshalling at cycle races etc. My RoSPA tester had a raised eyebrow when I turned up on it...........probably more used to seeing Pan and ST1300/FJR/GS types turn up for the test. So, as befits the event, it is lit and signed up appropriately (all removable in 5 mins), and has a screen on it now too.

It is not fast - but I don't ride like that anymore - but it pulls like a train, and 70mph on the motorway without the screen is hard work, but with the screen cruising speed for me is 65-70. The limit isn't the bike -it's you. It will sail into 3 figures quite happily - but you're just hanging on at that stage........

I've had one repair in 7 years, which cost me €40, other than that a €180 service every year. I've just changed it's OE battery as it was still on it's original one (10 years). It hadn't actually failed, but it was a bit slow to turn over, and I didn't fancy getting stuck when the weather closes in and it gets colder.

Belt drive means no chains/sprockets/oil/adjusting, and makes it both quiet and smooth. I really, really couldn't go back to a chain drive bike nowadays....

I've also added some luggage and a riders' backrest and that alone has made it much more comfortable. The seat is awful for a pillion (for long runs), but it's ok for short ones. We did some of the WAW recently, 825kms in 2.5 days, and I can testify She Was Not Very Happy. I was grand though :)

It averages about 55mpg driven the way I do. I've heard people complain about the brakes and suspension, but tbh it performs better than I was lead to believe and are a match for the bike - I mean, why would you want USD forks on one ? It'd be pointless...

Now, I have tried a H-D Fat Boy, but the solidly-mounted engine put me off (mine's rubber mounted) - and no, I've never lost any part due to vibes etc.

An 883 would be hard work, so if a smaller Twin, I'd go for the 1200 as a starter one tbh.

So, to sum up, they're not perfect, have limitations, but they do what they do, well. And isn't that the point ?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »
    ...Mine is here:...

I love that, it's beautiful. :cool:

• Advertisement

I love that, it's beautiful. :cool:

Ta, much :)

I never even saw it before I bought it: just a thumbnail pic on Waterford H-D's website, and I was sold on it. I couldn't love the alternative, a H-D Heritage Softail - very nice, but I'm not a fan of all the chrome and tassles and fringes etc. I wouldn't have the patience to clean it if the truth be known.

Which reminds me: the chrome on mine has held up very well. Some has not, and I can single out the chrome that doesn't isn't OE. I effectively dumped the Screamin' Eagle pipes it came with (in the pic above) as the chrome could be peeled off like that on a 1970's Honda mudguard.............brutal. I got bog standard OE silencers for FREE ! Nobody want's them - so they're stacked up in the attics of H-D shops of the world. Chrome on them is good quality.

Fine by me ! :D

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

I owned an 883 Custom and a Streetrod. The Sporty has a pile of mods, but I never liked the handling. The Streetrod (Vrod with forward pegs no longer on sale) was much better in that regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

:cool:
    It don't float my boat neither, I prefer stripped down bobbers meself :cool:

+1 having been thinking of bobbing my Yamaha Dragstar next summer, funds allowing
    Some man, that fella. See attached photos of another from him, the award-winning Rattle-and-Hum taken at the Killumney bike show in 2011.

That bike is unreal, especially the exhausts at the front wheel

My humble Gixxer 750 bobber...

Beautifully built, I like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

class bike i love that engine and the build is very tidy
    is there an oil cooler on her ?
    how does it handle with all that unsprung weight?

There is a cooler on her, discreetly hidden ;)

She handles very well, old school looks with new school technology...best of both worlds :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

The entire Harley Sportster lineup is well…. Ehhh

I’d rather have one of the new Honda CB1100’s for a commuter or weekend sprinter

http://www.honda.co.uk/motorcycles/range/street/cb1100-ex-2014/overview.html

If you’re going for a Harley get a touring model, its great going down the motorway and the new Rushmore models handle fairly well considering their weight

I know it sounds crazy, but I wish it had a kick starter :D

H2_zpsekiqtqlv.jpg

The entire Harley Sportster lineup is well…. Ehhh

I’d rather have one of the new Honda CB1100’s for a commuter or weekend sprinter

http://www.honda.co.uk/motorcycles/range/street/cb1100-ex-2014/overview.html

If you’re going for a Harley get a touring model, its great going down the motorway and the new Rushmore models handle fairly well considering their weight

I know it sounds crazy, but I wish it had a kick starter :D

H2_zpsekiqtqlv.jpg

You're right - you are crazy - having a bike that needs a 400CCA battery to start it means you'd be mad, Ted 😀

Ode To The Motorist

• Advertisement

My future purchase, negotiations re., trade & €'s pending :cool:

Let the haggling begin :D

Advertisement