Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2015 Cooking Club Week 28: Home-made ketchup and mayonnaise

Options
  • 09-10-2015 9:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭

So excited! After years and years of following the cooking club, I'm submitting my own recipes! I really hope you like them.

I love to cook - and recently, I've really got into making store cupboard basics from scratch - it really connects me in with everything I eat. I posted about it here!

"But why on earth bother to make ketchup and mayonnaise when you can just buy Heinz and Hellmans?" you ask? Because...

It's healthy - I know exactly what goes into the things I make
    It's delicious - really, there is no comparison between ones your make yourself and the ones you buy in the supermarket.
    It's fun - cooking is a good way to unwind, and there's nothing like spending time in the kitchen listening to tunes and cooking up a load of deadly things to scoff, and store and enjoy later, or give to family and friends.
    It's thrifty - in the long run it's much cheaper than buying the equivalent (once you have some basic ingredients).

Ketchup

This recipe makes about 1.4 litres. I keep old jars from peanut butter and that. I stick them in the dishwasher before I fill them.

The ketchup lasts a couple of weeks once opened. Can you freeze it? Probably, but I haven't tried
    It's not as sugary-sweet as Heinz. As well as in burgers and on chips, I use it spaghetti bolognese, chilli, homemade baked beans - it's very versatile.

This batch filled one 740ml jar and two 300ml jars.

Ingredients

- 3 cans of Tesco tomato purée
    - 115 mls of malt vinegar - I usually use the vinegar from a jar of gherkins (see, thrifty!)
    - 1.5 tablespoons of blackstrap molasses
    - 3 tablespoons dark brown muscavado sugar (or any kind of sugar, it doesn't make a huge difference - I used brown caster for this batch)
    - 1 teaspoon onion powder (cheap in Tiger stores)
    - 1 teaspoon garlic powder (cheap in Tiger stores)
    - 1/3 teaspoon smoked paprika
    - pinch of fennel seeds
    - pinch of cinnamon
    - big pinch salt (I had a nice smoked Maldon to hand)
    - 580mls tap water
    - Optional - few squirts of Braggs Amino Acids.

ketchup_01_zps1ir2skar.jpg

Method

- Place all ingredients in a big saucepan for which you have a lid.
    - Stir it well, so it's all combined.

IMG_5187-1_zpsbewio0hp.jpg

- Simmer on a low heat for 2 hours, stir it 4 or 5 times during this.
    - Fill up your jars - I use a ladle and take my time.

IMG_5210_zpsmquyki2d.jpg?t=1443621102

Mayonnaise

Full disclosure: I used balsamic vinegar and lime juice when I was making this not to be fancy, but because I'd run out of regular vinegar and lemons, and I didn't have time to go to the shops I had to I made do with what I had.
    The result was excellent, though.

However - you can use whatever vinegar you like (I favour rice wine vinegar), and lemon juice - fresh if you have it, bottled if not.

It lasts for a couple of weeks after you open it. It's so quick and easy to make I only make one jar at a time.

This makes enough to fill one 300ml jar (spotlessly clean, of course).

I use the small bowl of a Magimix - any food processor that goes fast will be fine, variable speeds aren't needed.

Ingredients

- 225ml sunflower oil
    - 1 large egg
    - half a teaspoon of mustard
    - half a teaspoon balsamic vinegar
    - A teaspoon lime juice
    - Decent pinch of salt

IMG_5188_zpslzrkubur.jpg?t=1443622273

Method

- Place all the ingredients except the sunflower oil in the food processor bowl
    - Put the sunflower oil in a jug from which from you can get a nice thin pouring stream.
    - Put a splash (20mls) of oil into the food processor bowl
    - Whizz for 30 secs to combine well
    - Turn the processor on, and pour the oil in, in the thinnest stream possible.
    - Keep pouring - it should take 4 or 5 minutes to transfer all the oil to the bowl. The mayo turns from liquid to thick and creamy as you go.

IMG_5198_zpsldl8iyyc.jpg?t=1443622409

- Fill your jar.

IMG_5203_zpsayhsmfww.jpg?t=1443622427

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

I usually make my own mayonnaise but use white wine vinegar instead of balsamic, and lemon instead lime, so I'll definitely this recipe a go. Ketchup looks great too, OP. Good idea for Christmas hamper.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

For the briefest moment, I thought this was a recipe for mixing ketchup and mayonnaise and I thought "Why?!". Then I figured it out :D. Great idea for a recipe!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Faith wrote: »
    For the briefest moment, I thought this was a recipe for mixing ketchup and mayonnaise and I thought "Why?!". Then I figured it out :D. Great idea for a recipe!

Yeah, I was thinking Marie Rose sauce? Seriously?

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

That would make a great April 1 cooking club post :)

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭sdp

I make my own Ketchup as well, But using fresh tomatoes from garden, it's a long process using all fresh Ingredients ,

so loving you shorter and easier recipe, :)

I water bath ketchup after filling, and they will last about a year unopened,
    Thanks op :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Yeah, I was thinking Marie Rose sauce? Seriously?

:)

Ketchup and mayo combo is actually a thing. Golf Sauce!

Great recipes, quaalude. I've some applewood-smoked salt that I might use for this.

Advertisement