Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does anyone here believe that elves and fairies are real?

Options
  • 18-09-2015 12:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Not. They are absolutely not real.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Chaos Marine

Just like any superstition or gods or devils, fairies are all make belief. Usually by people who are trying to explain strange happenings and having absolutely no idea what they're talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭breffni bogballer

Fairies are real,isnt the george full of them every nite?

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Chaos Marine

I think you mean spirits. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭breffni bogballer

Fairies full of spirits!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,642 ✭✭✭Milly33

mmmmm love to say I would truly believe in them but I do and I don't.. I certainly though go messing around with fairy rings and forts

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭DeadHand

Milly33 wrote: »
    mmmmm love to say I would truly believe in them but I do and I don't.. I certainly though go messing around with fairy rings and forts

That's interesting thinking you reveal there actually, similar to my own and rather more common than one might imagine.

I certainly don't believe in fairies but I would never mess with a fairy fort either. I have much the same attitude towards genuine temples of any kind or any sacred place: though I do not personally have any time for organised religion of any flavour, I would not desecrate these sites. I do not believe the spirits of the dead can curse us, yet I would not arse around in a graveyard.

At its most extreme, it infuriates me to see Muslim fundamentalists destroy the sacred places of other faiths or cultures (the Taliban in Afghanistan, ISIS in Syria). At its most petty, I firmly belief the Edge was an ignorant tosser for wearing that stupid hat to Seamus Heaney's funeral.

It may seem paradoxical but even in the unbelievers among us there is something about hallowed ground that inspires respect in all but the most obnoxious. Whether this is a type of empathy for those who do believe, some lingering superstition still in us, something instinctive, simple common decency or some combination I do not know.

Well said it is about showing respect which unfortunately a lot of people do not have anymore. I would believe the likes of fairy rings and places like this were once used but someone for maybe healing, religious whatever purpose but that they were used by people who believed in them and they should be respected that way..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

i think theres two things here - theres the fairies etc of lore and then the idea of ancient gods, from which humans turned into the fairies etc of lore. One is a nice tourist device, but I do have interest in the other one. Snakes for example, are interesting. They turn up time and time again in ancient cults and religions and are meant to have some relation to gods and power (in the distant past that is). theres a whole avenue there and really turns into more of an historical/legend/myth idea rather than a provable, undisputable fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭euser1984

Lots of fairies etc. are depicted in old pictures inscribed from the past etc. but in particular magic mushrooms which all the celts took.

I heard a story about two guys that were tripping from magic mushrooms and they both saw the exact same thing - an elf walking into the room through the door and walking through the wall....both of them saw it....

• Advertisement

euser1984 wrote: »
    Lots of fairies etc. are depicted in old pictures inscribed from the past etc. but in particular magic mushrooms which all the celts took.

I heard a story about two guys that were tripping from magic mushrooms and they both saw the exact same thing - an elf walking into the room through the door and walking through the wall....both of them saw it....

I know a fella who was tripping on magic mushrooms and he swears that some of the people around him changed into elfs. then again, he was on magic mushrooms ...

Don't turn this in a daft idea. The point is that all over the world and before telecommunications were developed you find the same ideas....with the same types of recorded pictures etc.

If you look into where we are with physics and the moment, and, in particular quantum physics, it's looking at alternative dimensions as actually being a reality....

Considering that ghosts seem to take many forms is it a possibility these entities exist in an alternative dimension? Sure it is. So what else can exist there? The significance, again, is that two different people saw the exact same thing! Otherwise the story is just daft to bring into this thread.

And to add to that actually given we only have 5 senses would you be inclined to lean on the side that there's loads of stuff going on in the room/place your in at the moment, that you can't sense?

i wasnt trying to be daft. a friend of mine really does believe he saw elves in the pub he was in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭dandyelevan

Never saw any, (Fairys / Faeries?) but there's something chilling about their Forts, Rings which dot the Irish landscape, so I wouldn't discount their past existence altogether.

Mind you, I could tell some 'quare' stories,( but then some folks would come on to say they were only out-dated bullkit) so I'll pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

;)

Skip forward to 1:10 to see anything

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭daveyeh

I once met a man in a pub who said he saw them all the time near his home in the country.

Then again, he took magic mushrooms every year the grew on his land, and he was on day release from a mental institution. (Not joking).

They don't exist.

Does look quite impressive Allyall but I would not doubt it may also be a moth. I remember seeing those pretty small moths I used to call them angel moths they looks so delicate and pretty these ones third down

http://www.mothscount.org/text/15/what_are_moths_.html

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Never saw any, (Fairys / Faeries?) but there's something chilling about their Forts, Rings which dot the Irish landscape, so I wouldn't discount their past existence altogether.

Mind you, I could tell some 'quare' stories,( but then some folks would come on to say they were only out-dated bullkit) so I'll pass.

Pleaae share

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭DeadHand

Oh, spill.

It's what this forum is for.

Don't let the ridicule of the mediocre get to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

There's some place in Cork where the queen of the fairies lived and it was opened as a quarry in the late 70's. They had problems with machinery breaking down and going on fire so they had a mass said there and things settled down after that.

Iceland is a place where the idea of fairies and elves existing are much more common. There is a documentary on youtube.

daveyeh wrote: »
    I once met a man in a pub who said he saw them all the time near his home in the country.

Then again, he took magic mushrooms every year the grew on his land, and he was on day release from a mental institution. (Not joking).

They don't exist.

Your moving into a whole new realm here in the sense of the question what is consciousness....I believe it may well be around us and invisible with our brain being an acute device that can tune into it.

Many dogs going to the toilet face north or south! More so females....I'd imagine that's what the birds use to migrate also though I can't confirm this.....I have experienced my dog quite often in the north/south position though.

So, what do magic mushrooms throw you into? Just a thought for consideration and not to be discussed really because there are no facts, nor (obviously) are there any facts on consciousness. Then, moving into mental illness (well, it certainly is an illness if it has negative effects on you and causes you to not be able to cope with normal life)....however, if what I said is true then it's throws mental illness on it's head entirely.....

I'm not sure if anybody here is familiar with schizophrenia but one of the effects of hearing voices that aren't there, which could go a long way to possibly gaining a real understanding of what consciousness is.

All the tv signals, mobile phone conversations etc. are swimming around in your room, head, and at the moment....I've never heard of a bunch of people standing around blocking a mobile phone signal so it's probably passing through us....If you could see this hidden world what would it look like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

According to a lot of Irish country folk and Icelandic people Fairies Elves & others exist around us all, but our visual properties regarding the electromagnetic spectrum are so limited to see such things we believe they don't exist. If we could see every electrical and infra-red radio wave through our eyes we would be completely blind. The human eyes and brain can only see a tiny portion of the light spectrum.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,252 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Milly33 wrote: »

Better safe than sorry, eh? You wouldn't want to go messing with the decaying remains of the old tree stump that caused the slight discolouration of the ground and provided the perfect environment for a ring-shaped patch of perfectly ordinary fungus to appear!

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Big Wex fan

My parents generation believed in them, both born in mid 1920s so pre-electrification and Dark Country roads.
    My Father could tell yarns for hours around fairy rings & paths.
    And stories about black dogs with devil eyes.
    Long dark nights & no telly to watch!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

I think fairies and elves and all of the other strange anomalies mentioned through the ages are just things that science hasn't understood yet. The new one in the last 50 years are the alien grays, we're still no closer to understanding any of them as strange as some are as millions of folk still encounter such things.

The only real scientific truth is that we only see visually a tiny part of the electromagnetic spectrum, who knows what we will eventually understand about all of this as technology advances.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

My parents generation believed in them, both born in mid 1920s so pre-electrification and Dark Country roads.
    My Father could tell yarns for hours around fairy rings & paths.
    And stories about black dogs with devil eyes.
    Long dark nights & no telly to watch!
    Imagine that a whole generation, how come mine didn't and they were also born in the 1920's.

endacl wrote: »
    Better safe than sorry, eh? You wouldn't want to go messing with the decaying remains of the old tree stump that caused the slight discolouration of the ground and provided the perfect environment for a ring-shaped patch of perfectly ordinary fungus to appear!

Yeah but how do you explain bad things happening to those that have messed with them....maybe they lived in the holes in that tree and it's some sort of sacred place to them.

• Advertisement

In Christianity the forbidden fruit adam and eve story is a mushroom. The fly argaric....

other ancient art depicting mushrooms attached....

Advertisement