Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Restoring a ruin

Options
  • 03-09-2015 8:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi there, sorry if this has been done already. Had a search and couldn't find anything recent.

I'm looking at restoring an old church hall in west of Ireland and would love to hear some opinions. It's smallish - 56sq mtr. The walls are sound the roof isn't.

In a casual conversation with local builder he reckoned between 800 and 900 euro per sq mtr if I did some of the work myself and it wasn't to a super high standard of finish. Does this sound about right?

The other thing is planning. If I keep the original structure, windows in same place etc do I need PP? If I was to extend at the rear less than 40sq mtr would I need PP for that?

Thanks for reading. Any advice welcomed.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 808 ✭✭✭Angry bird

concancon wrote: »
    Hi there, sorry if this has been done already. Had a search and couldn't find anything recent.

I'm looking at restoring an old church hall in west of Ireland and would love to hear some opinions. It's smallish - 56sq mtr. The walls are sound the roof isn't.

In a casual conversation with local builder he reckoned between 800 and 900 euro per sq mtr if I did some of the work myself and it wasn't to a super high standard of finish. Does this sound about right?

The other thing is planning. If I keep the original structure, windows in same place etc do I need PP? If I was to extend at the rear less than 40sq mtr would I need PP for that?

Thanks for reading. Any advice welcomed.

You may well need planning and in this regard arrange a pre planning with the local council for their opinion and indeed to find out if it's a protected structure. The more info you bring like sketches of your proposed restoration the more feedback you can get. From there you will have a fair idea of whether your proposal is exempt from planning and therefore submit a section 5 declaration or apply for planning. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 concancon

Thank you. Pre planning meeting is my next step alright. I had wondered if it could be protected. Does this mean it would have to be restored to original state or just not be touched?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 808 ✭✭✭Angry bird

concancon wrote: »
    Thank you. Pre planning meeting is my next step alright. I had wondered if it could be protected. Does this mean it would have to be restored to original state or just not be touched?

If it's a protected structure then apply for a section 57 declaration as to what is and is not protected. It's free and will be done by a conservation expert. From there you would hire your own already armed with lots of info on what you can and cannot do. If not a protected structure then it's general policy re ruins. Bring photos of inside and out to the pre planning meeting.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,193 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

AB will keep u right on the planning: my worry is that the cost of insulation, damp proofing, airtightness etc will be mega bucks mary.
    So if its protected, then your options are severely limited.

Now as its a ruined church as opposed to a habitable dwelling,, am just asking the question, could you just 'doze it and start anew?

ps: what about services, water leky, sewage, Sky,:D etc

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Advertisement