Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How many cars did you pass today?

• 02-09-2015 8:57am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭

With traffic volumes in the city(Dublin) now doubled with the schools restarted after the hols...
    How many cars did you pass on your cycle commute today? :pac:

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    With traffic volumes in the city(Dublin) now doubled with the schools restarted after the hols...
    How many cars did you pass on your cycle commute today?
    All of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,653 ✭✭✭✭ted1

A thousand+, along with several busses, 2 Garda cars did pass me, but they had the sirens on flying up the bus lane..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

None.....

I stayed in bed:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Not just cars, the cycle lanes along Amien st from Fairview were jammers! A lot of overtaking required.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,533 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Passed a few yesterday, but that was mainly in the suburbs rather than the city

I did though notice (and it was like this last year), now the schools are back it takes time for motorists to adjust, making them increasingly impatient. Had a few close passes at speed yesterday - nothing too dangerous, but it would probably spook nervous or inexperienced cyclists. Maybe with the increasing traffic levels it's something we may need to get a bit more aware of/used to, particularly over the next few months which are always busiest for traffic

• Advertisement

Beasty wrote: »
    I did though notice (and it was like this last year), now the schools are back it takes time for motorists to adjust, making them increasingly impatient.

Good point, I notice a lot more last second diving into parking spaces or curb hopping to let the little ones out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

1, it had broken down. Usually zilch :o

You don't really save time travelling by bike in regional towns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭rob w

Beasty wrote: »
    Passed a few yesterday, but that was mainly in the suburbs rather than the city

I did though notice (and it was like this last year), now the schools are back it takes time for motorists to adjust, making them increasingly impatient. Had a few close passes at speed yesterday - nothing too dangerous, but it would probably spook nervous or inexperienced cyclists. Maybe with the increasing traffic levels it's something we may need to get a bit more aware of/used to, particularly over the next few months which are always busiest for traffic

Lots of people flying down bus lanes, weaving in and out of traffic while not paying much notice to cyclists on Malahide Rd the last few days! Always happens but getting a bit worse now due to volume of cars on the road!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Danjamin1

I'm ashamed to say I was in the car this morning, super jealous of everyone on their bikes as they passed me by. I know how I'll be commuting tomorrow.

The schools really do annihilate the traffic flow in the city, there's no benefit to driving aside from staying dry between September & June.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 GasBrakeHonk

Danjamin1 wrote: »
    The schools really do annihilate the traffic flow in the city

I think you'll find that its the cars that are bollixing up the traffic flow. City traffic will be a mess again in the evening, long after the schools have closed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Koobcam

I drove to work (in UCD) on Monday & Tuesday and getting home was a total nightmare, must have taken about 30-40 minutes to get from the car park to the M50m which is less than a 5km drive. Train + bike today and for the rest of the month, tis a great feeling passing by all of those cars. I arrived into Heuston station just after 06:30 this morning and the city was virtually empty-highly recommended as a time to do your commuting away from the rush hour traffic:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

no more bike for a while, my steed needs to go to the bike hospital, have to get it home from work first.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

N11. Cycling home Monday, southbound, traffic at a standstill from RTE to Fosters. 4:30pm. Must be a massive crash or something.
    Nothing.
    Same yesterday. 😂
    Slip lane jammers aswell. 😂
    "Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends"

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

My route takes me from Crumlin to Dublin 1. So I passed a lot on Clogher Road (backed up with cars from the canal to the Transport Club), then a lot more on the canel and a few on Merion Sq. The rest of the route was OK for cars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Definitely noticed a huge amount of traffic this morning, took me longer than it should have to realise why! So I passed a lot of cars, a whole shit tonne if you will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

how many motorbikes did you pass today?
    :cool:

I think you'll find that its the cars that are bollixing up the traffic flow. City traffic will be a mess again in the evening, long after the schools have closed.

Additional motor traffic volume attributable to the schools annihilate the traffic flow.

Better?

Additional motor traffic volume attributable to the schools annihilate the traffic flow.

Better?

Not really. I'm not seeking to personalize this as the tendency to push the responsibility for "traffic" onto schools/ others is widespread - pretty sure I was guilty of it too before I got back on the bike.

At least the cars on the school run are multi-occupancy :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Buchaill_Mor

I lost count after 60 from Goldenbridge to Ranelagh turnoff along the Grand Canal. Only 4 or 5 had more than one person in them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Not really. I'm not seeking to personalize this as the tendency to push the responsibility for "traffic" onto schools/ others is widespread - pretty sure I was guilty of it too before I got back on the bike.

But only for the first 500m - 1.5km. Single occupancy thereafter...

• Advertisement

Fair point on the multi-occupancy, but how can you say the schools returning aren't the main cause of the increased traffic when there's a blatant increase in travel time the exact week they return?

Don't be stirring it up. There's a significant increase Mon-Wed this week and coincidently the schools have started back.

Fair point on the multi-occupancy, but how can you say the schools returning aren't the main cause of the increased traffic when there's a blatant increase in travel time the exact week they return?

Think of it this way, what we are seeing is not an increase - it is a return to normal patterns of road usage. To single out "schools" is unfair as they actually help the situation by closing for 2~3 months in the summer. Schools make no requirement on how students travel to school. That one is on us - the parents.

Think of it this way, what we are seeing is not an increase - it is a return to normal patterns of road usage. To single out "schools" is unfair as they actually help the situation by closing for 2~3 months in the summer. Schools make no requirement on how students travel to school. That one is on us - the parents.

That's a very glass-half-full way of looking at it!

Seriously though, it's a pain in the ass how much of an increase there is so little Johnny & Mary can be dropped right to the door less that 2km away.

It's a fantastic incentive to get back on the bike, I look forward to cycling 60-80% of the week for the next 9 months!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,181 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i don't just overtake cars, i bunny hop them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Heavy traffic is great for bikes, just zip along the middle or outside...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Huge changes to traffic layout at the Leopardstown Roundabout (soon to be 4-way signal controlled junction) means that traffic in Sandyford/Leopardstown area is at a standstill at "rush" hour...

http://1drv.ms/1fV3gbA is from this morning, just on Brewery road. There have been ongoing works on the Leopardstown road for the last few months, but they seem to have picked today to change the layout of the road. Coinciding with the return to school today, it has made shoite of the traffic. As an aside, I would estimate that over 98% of these cars are single occupancy (I was looking for the short skirts :D).

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Johnnio13

The road works on the coast road in Dubland have added to the general impatience. Cars flying past this morning very close to me once traffic is allowed to move. I did however pass them all by Clontarf village with a wee wave and "have a nice day".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Heavy traffic is great for bikes, just zip along the middle or outside...

Carefully....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Johnnio13 wrote: »
    The road works on the coast road in Dubland have added to the general impatience. Cars flying past this morning very close to me once traffic is allowed to move. I did however pass them all by Clontarf village with a wee wave and "have a nice day".

Only way to handle that alternating stretch is to ride in the centre of the lane until it opens up again. It's only about 300m in total and they can wait their turn for that distance...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,653 ✭✭✭✭ted1

RainyDay wrote: »

We all know how bad bike lanes are, but if a non cyclist sees it they'll blame the cyclist for not being on the bike lane which is very visible when you shout at the driver

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,138 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Seriously though, it's a pain in the ass how much of an increase there is so little Johnny & Mary can be dropped right to the door less that 2km away.
    Lots of people drop their kids to school on the way to work. That extra 4km round trip in traffic can be the difference between holding down a job and not.

The people moaning about school traffic are usually people who drive to work despite having the physical capacity to cycle. Hypocrisy! Though there are of course people who _have_ to drive.

I have no idea why a cyclist would moan about school runs since it makes no difference to them. I find heavy traffic generally safer - it's when the roads are clear that the fast close passes happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Lumen wrote: »
    I find heavy traffic generally safer - it's when the roads are clear that the fast close passes happen.

I had the pleasure of being asked to work a Saturday and talk about an interesting commute! I guess the combination of light traffic and people driving where they would normally be on autopilot made it memorable.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

I find heavy traffic generally safer - it's when the roads are clear that the fast close passes happen.
    Good point, that's very true of my commute.
    But regarding blaming schools, how come the traffic is heavier now at 6:30am?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

rp wrote: »
    how come the traffic is heavier now at 6:30am?

People getting on the roads earlier to avoid the heavy car traffic later?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

I have no idea why a cyclist would moan about school runs since it makes no difference to them. I find heavy traffic generally safer - it's when the roads are clear that the fast close passes happen.

I find the complete opposite is the case on country roads. If it's quiet - people use the space available. If it's busy, tough sh!t, you're getting squeezed out of it.

Lumen wrote:
    Lots of people drop their kids to school on the way to work. That extra 4km round trip in traffic can be the difference between holding down a job and not.

That's fine when it's young kids who wouldn't be capable of making their own way to school but in a lot of cases it's teens & older kids being dropped.

You're right on one hand though, when I drive it's down to laziness, my commute is only 11km each way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭mollser

RainyDay wrote: »

Jaysus, there is so much wrong with the actions and attitude of the cyclist in this video and the comments, that he's not exactly helping the pro-cycling campaign??? Maybe that has already been discussed to death and don't wish to derail the thread - and I say this as an avid cyclist!

Advertisement