Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rules question water hazard

Options
  • 30-08-2015 1:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭

I have the following question which should provide you with a good laugh, too. :D

Our par 5 second has a stream that runs diagonally towards the green from the left and then across the green all the way to the right. Some part of it on the left of the green is red stakes and then it turns yellow for the rest. It changes to yellow about 10m to the right of where the 41m circle hits the stream in the picture.

360514.jpg

We're playing mixed foursomes and I'm left with a very long 3rd (200m to be precise, I hit hybrid of the tee), but I had a little wind in the back and the lie in the rough was good. So I'm going for it and of course I dunk it into the water, into the red stakes area on the left.
    My partner is only a beginner so we drop it over the stream as I didn't want to leave her with a pitch over the water which is of course legal with red stakes. She chips its up onto the small bit of rough and fairway on the greenside.
    From where I proceed to shank my chip back into the stream :cool:, but now into the yellow stakes part.

So here is the question. Do we have to drop it back over to the far side and come back over the hazard again?

I know its yellow and the normal meaning of the rule is you're supposed to negotiate the hazard again, but we didn't enter the hazard from the intended side. I really didn't know what to do and we did end up dropping on the far side to be safe. From where she chipped it back into the stream. We racked up quite a number as you can imagine.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭onlyfinewine

After the chip into the yellow marked margin of the hazard, you had the choice to replay the shot adding a penalty stroke to your score. You did not have to go to the other side of the hazard and play over it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Norfolk Enchants_

As the previous poster said, you have the option of replaying the shot from it's previous position under penalty of one stroke, so in your case that would be from where you shanked the chip:pac:.
    It's worth remembering, you always have the option of replaying the shot, no matter what, (under penalty of one stroke of course).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

cr@p I totally forgot about that. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

Id question the original drop too. You can only drop greenside of a lateral hazard if the approach shot carried the red line before rolling back in. Otherwise, your partner shouldve played over the water following the penalty drop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Id question the original drop too. You can only drop greenside of a lateral hazard if the approach shot carried the red line before rolling back in. Otherwise, your partner shouldve played over the water following the penalty drop.

Are you sure about that? I'm obviously not in a position to argue with you as I clearly don't know what the heck I'm doing, but I looked it up last night (r&a) after I posted this (should have done so before) and it doesn't say that. Just says you have the option of dropping to the far side, too, not nearer to the hole of course.

Generally speaking...
    What an embarrassment. I'm such a clown. This shouldn't really have happened to me as I know the rule, just wasn't thinking straight. Talking about not seeing the wood for the trees.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Not true... you can drop it on the opposite side equidistant from the hole from the point of entry on the other side.
    As additional options available only if the ball last crossed the margin of a lateral water hazard, drop a ball outside the water hazard within two club-lengths of and not nearer the hole than (i) the point where the original ball last crossed the margin of the water hazard or (ii) a point on the opposite margin of the water hazard equidistant from the hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

HighLine wrote: »
    Not true... you can drop it on the opposite side equidistant from the hole from the point of entry on the other side.

Standing corrected. Quite right!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

OP that is just one of those times when all you can do is laugh. Something similar happened me years ago in the Jimmy Bruen...

I hit a rubbish drive straight into the middle of a forest.... we found the ball and my partner hit a fantastic shot back out onto the fairway through the trees. I proceeded to hit an equally fantastic shank straight back into the same forest:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Standing corrected. Quite right!

The rolling back in green side drop rule is applicable to yellow stakes where the shape of the green can sometimes allow a green side drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,315 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Wombatman wrote: »
    The rolling back in green side drop rule is applicable to yellow stakes where the shape of the green can sometimes allow a green side drop.

No, lateral hazard only. Yellow stakes, you must drop behind the hazard.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭Senecio

Threads like this just highlight how little the average golfer knows about the basic rules and the mis-truths that are propagated on the Internet.

We should make it mandatory in future that if you're going to answer a rules question then a quote and link should be provided to the relevant section of the R&A site.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭whizbang

I am pretty sure its not black and white in the rules, but the decisions on rules often relate to water hazards.

The Decisions specifically state: the direction a ball travels into a hazard has no bearing on the subsequent drop.
    There is no such thing as "rolling back".

Advertisement