Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Getting the right hand to flip over tips

• 27-08-2015 9:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭

Been getting a few lessons of late and have started to see good improvement in ball striking and general consistence - only issue is the ball is leaking out to the right - I dont feel like my right hand is 'flipping' over at impact which would mean the club face is slightly open at impact, hence the drifting to the right shot.

Anybody got some basic drills to help get the hands into the correct position at impact along with making sure a full follow through is completed - I also feel that the follow through is about 3/4's complete rather than a full rotation - which could also be linked to the right hand action at impact.

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭DiegoWorst

Been getting a few lessons of late and have started to see good improvement in ball striking and general consistence - only issue is the ball is leaking out to the right - I dont feel like my right hand is 'flipping' over at impact which would mean the club face is slightly open at impact, hence the drifting to the right shot.

Anybody got some basic drills to help get the hands into the correct position at impact along with making sure a full follow through is completed - I also feel that the follow through is about 3/4's complete rather than a full rotation - which could also be linked to the right hand action at impact.

cheers

If the hands are correct at address, the theory is they'll be correct at impact, you don't need to worry about them during the swing.

Flipping the right hand to counter fade/slice will lead to low burning hooks when timing is not bang on.

The proper grip is the key.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭magic_murph

Surely you can have great hand position at address but totally change that based on swing - stronger right or left hand / arm etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 michael1930

Your ball drifting right can be caused by many things, flipping your hands will not solve your issues. Go back to your pro and work through it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Ciaranra

Surely you can have great hand position at address but totally change that based on swing - stronger right or left hand / arm etc?

Your set up is very important grip could be worth looking at

I'm not far past being a beginner but this was something I was doing consistently.

My pro has a rugby ball in his room and uses it for this, just asked me to throw it back and being from a sporting background I was able to throw it correctly by turning the hands over through release so he just told me to apply that here and not do it after in the follow through as I was doing.

I guess its just a swing thought to bare in mind, if I slice a bad one i usually tell myself to get my hands working over.

Realistically it's just something you'll have to bare in mind and practice... And if its the only swing thought you need to keep thinking of then it should be easier to reinforce.

But ya anyway, think of throwing a rugby ball, spinning it and not just popping it with static hands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

I'm not far past being a beginner but this was something I was doing consistently.

My pro has a rugby ball in his room and uses it for this, just asked me to throw it back and being from a sporting background I was able to throw it correctly by turning the hands over through release so he just told me to apply that here and not do it after in the follow through as I was doing.

I guess its just a swing thought to bare in mind, if I slice a bad one i usually tell myself to get my hands working over.

Realistically it's just something you'll have to bare in mind and practice... And if its the only swing thought you need to keep thinking of then it should be easier to reinforce.

But ya anyway, think of throwing a rugby ball, spinning it and not just popping it with static hands.

Gary Madden?

Advertisement