Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 10 no option for 1920 x 1080 resolution with new monitor

Options
  • 17-08-2015 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭

Hi just got a Samsung 24 inch monitor which is saying that

"The optimal resolution for this monitor is 1920 x 1080"

However I cant see an option to go above 1600 X 1200 - which doesn't look right, so I was nearly better off with my old 19inch Dell monitor!!!

The monitor is connected vga to vga as no hdmi on the cpu.

Any ideas as to how I can change setting to get the best use of the new monitor?

Edit I updated drivers for the monitor but didn't seem to make any difference.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

What machine and graphics chip set is involved?

Depending on the age of the machine, and the available memory, it's very possible that the graphics card can't support that high a resolution, and having to use VGA connection makes me wonder if it's an older card or graphics chip set. The other thing to check is that you have the most up to date drivers for the graphics card and chip set, as that will be as important as the driver for the monitor.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭frankz

Thanks a mill for that.

Ok that may be my problem so -
    Its an Intel (r) q45/q43 express chipset
    on a
    Dell Optiplex 760.

Is my computer just too old for the monitor?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,265 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

frankz wrote: »
    Thanks a mill for that.

Ok that may be my problem so -
    Its an Intel (r) q45/q43 express chipset
    on a
    Dell Optiplex 760.

Is my computer just too old for the monitor?

Looks like the Optiplex 760 uses an Intel GMA 4500, which doesn't seem to support HD resolutions. There is an Intel GMA 4500HD, which does, but it really doesn't sound like your machine has it.

As it's a small form factor PC, I'm not even sure if I can recommend looking for a new graphics card, as it might not fit the machine, size-wise and port wise as well.

EDIT: Actually, it seems that the 760 comes in four different sizes, you wouldn't happen to know which size your machine is?

Thanks for that.
    Wasn't sure what I was looking for - yes it is an Intel (R) GMA 4500

Edit - just saw your edit will go try check, what am I looking for?

Edit 2 - Not sure this is what you need but physically is about 32cm x 9.5cm

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,265 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

frankz wrote: »
    Thanks for that.
    Wasn't sure what I was looking for - yes it is an Intel (R) GMA 4500

Edit - just saw your edit will go try check, what am I looking for?

Did some more checking, and all of them will accept a PCIe Low Profile graphics card except for the Ultra Small Form Factor.

You can check the sizes and specs in this PDF.

You'd then be better off looking for advice in the PC Building and Upgrading forum, as they'd know the best places to buy these days, it's been a while since I've looked around.

If all you want is to use your monitor, and not gaming or anything like that, then you can use a dirt cheap card.

• Advertisement

Thanks so much for that, really appreciate it.
    It has been really helpful and understandable.
    Thanks for going to the bother of checking out an old machine

Looks like I have the small form factor so might be ok for a change of graphics card.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

After installing the new monitor driver, I had to disconnect and reconnect the VGA cable before the new resolutions could be selected.
    Powering off and on didn't have the same effect.

(win 10 D630 laptop with 1920 external screen.)

Advertisement