Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Duracell batteries "value packs"

Options
  • 05-08-2015 11:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭

Has anyone else had experience of buying an 8 pack of said batteries lately and finding that they are absolutely rubbish? Unfortunately I bought 2 packs. No reciepts or anything but they have NO. POWER. WHATSOEVER. used them in my digi camera and a few photos later- red batttery sign up. With one pair I was making a short video - 60secs and the battery died before it finished!

Jesus, I know digi cameras are hard on batteries but seriously! I used up 3 pairs in one day as each pair died in jig time. :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Did you check the expiry date on the pack?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Fakes?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

We've a pack we bought Christmas 13 which are still going strong tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I find contacting the manufacturer with something like this usually ends well.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,503 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Vast amounts of fakes out there. Only time I've seen Duracell selling what appear to be their normal batteries in 'value packs' has been 24 pack bricks.

If you've got known good / formerly good now empty Duracells and a decently accurate weighing scales you could weigh the two to see if they're similar weights. Cheap or fake batteries often have very little actual battery chemicals in them to begin with.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

as Mark Anthony above, unless you bought in a reputable store, could very well be fake.

Also stores themselves can be sellign fakes without knowing it if they bought from an online "wholesaler"

Check this out for examples
    https://thecounterfeitreport.com/product/106/

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭maringo

Never have a problem with Duracell find them very long lasting. Maybe you were sold fakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Kenny Bania

Sounds like fakes. I get mine on Amazon to be sure. A 48 pack. Better value too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Sounds like they could be fake. Where did you buy them? I regularly use Durcell in things like Camera etc and find them long lasting.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,964 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

paddles wrote: »
    Has anyone else had experience of buying an 8 pack of said batteries lately and finding that they are absolutely rubbish? Unfortunately I bought 2 packs. No reciepts or anything but they have NO. POWER. WHATSOEVER. used them in my digi camera and a few photos later- red batttery sign up. With one pair I was making a short video - 60secs and the battery died before it finished!

Jesus, I know digi cameras are hard on batteries but seriously! I used up 3 pairs in one day as each pair died in jig time. :mad:

Have you used non rechargeable batteries in the camera before? Some cameras require powerful rechargeable batteries to work, you'll get one or two pics with ordinary batteries but loads with a quality high capacity rechargeable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,485 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Fakes I'd say. I've seen batteries with the same colour scheme (gold and black) in Lidl or Aldi. They look like Duracell but they are not.

Mr E wrote: »
    Fakes I'd say. I've seen batteries with the same colour scheme (gold and black) in Lidl or Aldi. They look like Duracell but they are not.

There's HUGE difference between "own brand" batteries and fakes.

Fake = the identical brand name but not made by the brand.

Plenty of excellent own brand batteries that may have similar colouring, but different brand name. Nothing wrong with them at all and they are sold at an appropriate price.

BTW - Aldi and Lidl also sell genuine Duracell batteries in addition to their own brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Del2005 wrote: »
    Some cameras require powerful rechargeable batteries to work, you'll get one or two pics with ordinary batteries but loads with a quality high capacity rechargeable.
    Surprised it took this long for rechargeables to be mentioned. I found a huge difference in digital cameras using them.

I got some cheap low capacity ones in dealz for remotes and torches, working fine so far. I would trust stuff in dealz more than other "2 euro" shops.

dealextreme openly tell you if the batteries have false capacity ratings, e.g. it says
    Capacity: 3000mAh (actual 400mAh)
    Mark Capacity 3000mAh
    Actual Capacity 2700mAh

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 215 ✭✭ceecee14

I'm sick of buying duracell from aldi, all I'm getting out of the batteries are 1 week! Are they fakes? My Lil girl has a mobile that plays music and projects pictures, she will not sleep without it and im going through batteries like no tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,503 ✭✭✭✭L1011

ceecee14 wrote: »
    I'm sick of buying duracell from aldi, all I'm getting out of the batteries are 1 week! Are they fakes? My Lil girl has a mobile that plays music and projects pictures, she will not sleep without it and im going through batteries like no tomorrow.

Anything that does that is going to consume a vast amount of power. Does it not have a mains adapter available?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,396 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

paddles wrote: »

Never mind the brand or where you bought them, alkaline batteries are completely hopeless in digital cameras, they're just not able to deliver the surge that the camera requires after each photo, especially if the flash was used.

You need Ni-Mh rechargeables and if you're making videos, I'd suggest you buy a decent brand (Ansmann, Lenmar and Lloytron are good) with a decent capacity like 2,700 mAh or higher - make sure to look at the number, there is a huge range of capacities out there, even within the same brand. Do not buy them in a pound shop.

More expensive but they will hold on their charge even when left idle for months are Eneloop batteries.

If it's a compact camera that takes 2 x AA batteries so you buy a set of 4 rechargeables, use and charge each set of 2 separately and never mix them, that will help prolong their overall life.

They is no possible way a store like aldi would sell fakes. They would always have direct from manufacturer purchasing.

Duracell have different qualities - standard coppertop and then advanced/quantum.

If any device is using a lot of battery power, then rechargable is the only way to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

Not necessarily fakes but they might be the rejects.

For example, lots of Irish people like the outlets in New York - I know for a fact most of the stuff in Nike and Victoria's Secret (the two I have friends in), make lesser quality stuff specifically for them. Also look at the branded rubbish Sports Direct sell, not a patch on the actual stuff you buy in the stores.

So not really a deal. You pay less you get crap :).

• Registered Users Posts: 82,257 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Best Buy also gets lower quality run TVs from LG and sells them under the Insignia brand. Cheaper because they forego some of the QA - LCD/LED panel production has a relatively high failure rate that increases drastically based on panel size, in practice most of them are scrapped before they leave the factory. Outlet products similarly skip corners for profit and you can get good/great/bad product out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,209 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Buy two sets of decent rechargeables.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

+1 same experience here. Are they a lower quality Duracell as they were far cheaper than home store and more for the same pack too

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Watch out Santa, long life batteries often aren't worth it: How a value pack from Lidl or Aldi can cost less than the big brands

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2528184/Watch-Santa-long-life-batteries-arent-worth-How-value-pack-Lidl-Aldi-cost-big-brands.html#ixzz3iagi7exn
    Rechargeable route
    If you buy wisely, using rechargeables will save you money. The upfront cost is higher (a four-pack of Energizer Rechargeable Power Plus AAA 850 batteries is £7.59, for instance — while four Energizer HighTech AA batteries are just £4.29). But they tend to offer better value.
    According to Which?, recharging a pack of four AA batteries 100 times using the Duracell 15-minute CEF15GBL charger costs less than £90, including the cost of the batteries and charger. For 400 AA disposable batteries, you would pay between £171 and £649.

Thanks everyone, will have to invest in the rechargeable so.

L1011 wrote: »
    Anything that does that is going to consume a vast amount of power. Does it not have a mains adapter available?

No mains just batterys unfortunately.

Advertisement