Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Witnesses (Les Témoins)

• 23-07-2015 6:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭

I couldn't find a thread on this so apologies if there is one. This French detective series, Witnesses, made its UK debut on Channel 4 last night. They must think pretty highly of it to give a French-speaking programme a mainstream slot. I'm guessing the success of The Returned played a part.

Personally, I thought it was pretty good. I will watch it again and would recommend those who missed it to give it a look.

I wonder did anyone see it and if so, what did you think?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Everlong1

Yes I watched it, have gotten into a lot of French TV in recent years - Spiral on BBC4, The Returned I enjoyed also and bought Braquo box set ( crime series also.)

This one got off to a good start alright, certainly an unusual set up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Dark and grey. That's just the weather!

A bit too obviously scandi-noir influenced to be honest. I'll stick with though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I don't know about anyone else but this is one of my favourite shows right now. I don't normally like detective shows but this one has me engrossed. I think the female character, Sandra, is particularly good. I read somewhere that this is her first major TV role as she's worked mainly in theatre up to now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

Yes...it's excellent. Really enjoyable and easy to watch and follow( unlike True Dectective 2)!!

I don't know about anyone else but this is one of my favourite shows right now. I don't normally like detective shows but this one has me engrossed. I think the female character, Sandra, is particularly good. I read somewhere that this is her first major TV role as she's worked mainly in theatre up to now.

I'm enjoying it, its clearly a bit barking (well there is a wolf) but doesn't stray into complete
    nonsense. I'm not sure it's doing much for the Calais area though - bleak weather, terrible boxy houses, plundered graves.

• Advertisement

An exciting episode last night, I thought. I believe it's wrapping up next week. I hope it ends in a satisfying way and doesn't throw in something whacky.

Indeed, the last thing I want in such a series is an open end or needless twist to set up a second series.

I enjoyed the way they wrapped it up. I'm sad that it's all over now. I haven't heard anything about a second season so I think it's a case of one and done. :(

Can anyone recommend shows like this? I've heard it compared to some Scandinavian offerings but as it's a genre I'm not familiar with I wouldn't know where to start. Any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭pookiesboo

I enjoyed the way they wrapped it up. I'm sad that it's all over now. I haven't heard anything about a second season so I think it's a case of one and done. :(

Can anyone recommend shows like this? I've heard it compared to some Scandinavian offerings but as it's a genre I'm not familiar with I wouldn't know where to start. Any suggestions?

Second series airing in France later this year. Anyone know what did Kaz Gorbers kid slip him though?

pookiesboo wrote: »
    Second series airing in France later this year. Anyone know what did Kaz Gorbers kid slip him though?

Oh really? I'm delighted to hear that. I wonder what it will involve.

With regards the kid, it was some pills he gave him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭PeterDuggan

Goddamn recording cut off before the end of the last episode last night (because it was longer than usual). Anyone got a copy please?

Goddamn recording cut off before the end of the last episode last night (because it was longer than usual). Anyone got a copy please?

Can you view it on Channel 4's on demand service on their website?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Been watching it, although am currently a few episodes behind, have them all recorded though.

Another French drama starting tomorrow night on MORE4, The Resistance.

Can you view it on Channel 4's on demand service on their website?

Thanks for the suggestion but I don't have access to it. Anyway I haven't watched the rest of the episodes so by the time I get to the last episode it could be removed from 4OD.

Anyone able to help with a copy of the last episode - or even the last 20 minutes or so? Thanks.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I thought this started pretty well but fell apart completely in episode four. I just wanted it to end then. I have no idea what Damien's involvement in the whole thing was...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,729 ✭✭✭brian_t

Anyone able to help with a copy of the last episode - or even the last 20 minutes or so? Thanks.

I don't know if you got sorted out with the last episode.

The series is currently been repeated on More4 at about 2am (ish)

The last episode will be on late Saturday night at 2.40am.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,729 ✭✭✭brian_t

This returned to screens last night on BBC Four with a double bill. Anyone give it a look?

I really enjoyed it. It was great to hear the old intro song again and the case is very interesting: a bus is found abandoned in the countryside and inside it are the bodies of fifteen well dressed passengers, all male, who have all had a past relationship with a woman who herself had disappeared - but who turns up suffering from amnesia.

I remember being impressed with Marie Dompnier who plays Sandra in the first series, and she's just as good in these episodes trying to balance a difficult domestic situation with the job. It's a shame her mentor figure from the first series isn't in this one as he was quite a significant character, but his absence didn't feel as big a loss as I originally thought it might.

It's meant to be an 8-part season so I guess there's 3 more weeks to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

This returned to screens last night on BBC Four with a double bill. Anyone give it a look?

I really enjoyed it. It was great to hear the old intro song again and the case is very interesting: a bus is found abandoned in the countryside and inside it are the bodies of fifteen well dressed passengers, all male, who have all had a past relationship with a woman who herself had disappeared - but who turns up suffering from amnesia.

I remember being impressed with Marie Dompnier who plays Sandra in the first series, and she's just as good in these episodes trying to balance a difficult domestic situation with the job. It's a shame her mentor figure from the first series isn't in this one as he was quite a significant character, but his absence didn't feel as big a loss as I originally thought it might.

It's meant to be an 8-part season so I guess there's 3 more weeks to go.

This recorded on my sky box last night and I couldn't figure out where it came from,must have been a series link from 2 years ago

• Advertisement

Anyone catch the latest episodes? Again I thought it was very good. A few twists and turns that I didn't expect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭Poochie05

Well that somehow was weird, silly story line with some ridiculous scenes, but absolutely gripping at the same time! I really enjoyed it but found it a little long, could probably have done within episode or 2 less.

It did get a bit silly alright. I agree it felt that it went on a bit too long and some of the moments were hard to believe. If not for the fact I really like the Sandra character I might have ended up not liking this, but it did have me on the edge of my seat.

I hope it comes back for a third season.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Sierra 117

I really enjoyed both seasons. The second season does indeed get a bit silly towards the end though. I'd definitely watch a third season.

I think the locations in the first season were more interesting though. I really liked the seaside town that it took place in.

Finally got to the final episode a few nights ago.

Better than series one, I liked the pairing of Frances two hottest actresses - both antagonistic and sympathetic to one another. Obviously the whole concept was wayyyyyy out there (you'd have to wonder if a large secret "family" could exist in a first world country in this day and age) but if you do it absolutely straight it's amazing what you can get away with in drama.

Advertisement