Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl laptop?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,745 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

I've a Toshiba laptop and it's been great value.

I paid just over €300 but it had a lot better specs than the lidl one. 16" screen, i3 processor and 500gb hd. I got this from England so it probably wouldn't be as good value now with the way the euro is.

I'd say you'd get a cheaper one delivered from the dell website.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,113 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Might find it a bit under powered. i3 would be noticably faster
    But is light and portable so might be handy if carrying every day

Price is nothing special

• Registered Users Posts: 25,366 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

If that isn't a misprint, it has only 32GB for a hard drive, an embedded MMC card - poor man's SSD! They may try to coax you with the 'free' 100GB cloud storage but that doesn't hide the fact that there's sod-all onboard storage.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,830 ✭✭✭893bet

coylemj wrote: »
    If that isn't a misprint, it has only 32GB for a hard drive, an embedded MMC card - poor man's SSD! They may try to coax you with the 'free' 100GB cloud storage but that doesn't hide the fact that there's sod-all onboard storage.

That did catch my eye alright. I assume a lot of that would end up being used for operating system etc so very tight storage.

This one is about €10 more http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/NX.MRTEK.018-Acer-Aspire-ES1-311_1742244.html

There is also below budget laptops starting at about €230. I bought my current laptop of these around 30 months ago and have had no issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,407 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Personally I'd steer clear. Better off spending that kind of money on an Android tablet and a bluetooth keyboard. Spend another hundred quid and you're into basic but decent entry-level laptops.

Tablets have nowhere near the lifespan of a laptop. The laptop can be up-graded to double its Ram capacity. I put a €50 SSD into a crappy Medion laptop that was running a celeron chip and it decreased its startup time from just over 3 minutes to under 40 seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Tablets have nowhere near the lifespan of a laptop. The laptop can be up-graded to double its Ram capacity. I put a €50 SSD into a crappy Medion laptop that was running a celeron chip and it decreased its startup time from just over 3 minutes to under 40 seconds.

40 seconds is still pathetic. You should be at 5-8 on solid state.

For most users tablets are a far better proposition than a cheap laptop. That's why the bottom has fallen out of the markey hugely, especially netbooks.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,366 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

ED E wrote: »
    For most users tablets are a far better proposition than a cheap laptop. That's why the bottom has fallen out of the markey hugely, especially netbooks.

I'd agree that tablets killed the netbook but for my money Windows 8 was the major contributor to the crash in laptop sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

Charlie19 wrote: »
    I put a €50 SSD into a crappy Medion laptop that was running a celeron chip and it decreased its startup time from just over 3 minutes to under 40 seconds.

Tablets have solid-state storage from the get-go. No upgrade required.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭Wright

Yeah this I saw, instantly passed over. Specs suck. Search 'iRulu 8.1' should find you an excellent surface rip off, good specs and 30 less than that thing to boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Asmooh

i would not even pay 100 euros for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Asmooh wrote: »
    i would not even pay 100 euros for it.

Well that's a bit dramatic. It's fine really but the price is just really nothing special at all. You can get better options for the same money. Would be perfectly fine for someone wanting to do a bit of typing, web browsing, netflix, etc. Lack of storage is the main drawback even for casual use.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭Wright

Well that's a bit dramatic. It's fine really but the price is just really nothing special at all. You can get better options for the same money. Would be perfectly fine for someone wanting to do a bit of typing, web browsing, netflix, etc. Lack of storage is the main drawback even for casual use.

The processor is just as much a drawback to be honest. And the free office should really be a year not a month...

Advertisement