Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice Request: Running Watch

Options
  • 16-07-2015 10:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi,

I got into running just over 12 months ago. For a while I borrowed a friend's Garmin Forerunner 110. I found it really helpful to be able to keep an eye on my pace and split times as I ran.

I'm now thinking of purchasing my own GPS watch. I really wanted to get an all-rounder Fitbit or a smartwatch but it sounds like the realtime pace and GPS info they give isn't as accurate as a dedicated GPS watch. From the reviews I've read I'm now thinking of getting a Garmin Forerunner 220.

The best price I've found so far is on a German site, bike24, at about €200.

Would really value opinions on the device or seller if anyone has used either? Or just thoughts on whether or not something like a Fitbit is sufficient for someone who wants to get more seriously into running?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭CR 7

Something like the forerunner 10 would be a good start. You can pick one up for less than €100 and it gives you all the basic info you need pace, distance, km splits etc. Doesn't have any of the fancy features but I'd find them a distraction anyway personally. I've put over 1000 miles on mine and haven't felt the need to upgrade it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

CR 7 wrote: »
    Something like the forerunner 10 would be a good start. You can pick one up for less than €100 and it gives you all the basic info you need pace, distance, km splits etc. Doesn't have any of the fancy features but I'd find them a distraction anyway personally. I've put over 1000 miles on mine and haven't felt the need to upgrade it yet.

It doesn't do heart rate monitoring which is a nice feature to have. I use mine every run.

OP if you have a smartphone you might consider the wahoo tickrx , It's not a watch but does everything you would need for now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

CR 7 wrote: »

to be honest I'd pay the extra and go for the FR15, it does come with HR monitor but also has a fitness tracker built in so records your daily steps etc as the fitbit does.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Firedance wrote: »
    to be honest I'd pay the extra and go for the FR15, it does come with HR monitor but also has a fitness tracker built in so records your daily steps etc as the fitbit does.

If going as far as the FR15 I'd look at the M400 as it does all the same stuff as the 220 but includes activity monitor and other sport profiles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

This might help?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057428963

I picked up my 220 during the week but the 225 might suit you. Also has a few prices on the 220 and site links.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Hi,

I got into running just over 12 months ago. For a while I borrowed a friend's Garmin Forerunner 110. I found it really helpful to be able to keep an eye on my pace and split times as I ran.

I'm now thinking of purchasing my own GPS watch. I really wanted to get an all-rounder Fitbit or a smartwatch but it sounds like the realtime pace and GPS info they give isn't as accurate as a dedicated GPS watch. From the reviews I've read I'm now thinking of getting a Garmin Forerunner 220.

The best price I've found so far is on a German site, bike24, at about €200.

Would really value opinions on the device or seller if anyone has used either? Or just thoughts on whether or not something like a Fitbit is sufficient for someone who wants to get more seriously into running?

I have the forerunner 220 for over 2 years now. I had a few garmins over the last 5 years but I find this the best one. Love the bluetooth connection to the phone, makes keeping a log alot easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭spaceylou

I love my forerunner 220 and highly recommend it! But it does depend on what you are looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I have the fr15 and it does all I want at the moment . I had the fr110 it was grand too until it drowned on a run one particularly wet night last winter.

Make sure to get the heart staple with the 15 if going that route

• Registered Users Posts: 29 operagust

Hi,
    I am looking also for a running watch that has gps and can play also mp3 music(using bluetooth headset).
    For the moment I have noticed Sony Mobile SWR50 SmartWatch 3...
    Does anyone have this watch? Is it a good one?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭netmann

My old Garmin packed in just before DCM. Ended up getting 220 and find it great so far. Ebay was best price I could find. Approx €150 ex shipping.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I have the FR225 and couldn't fault it. Gets a GPS lock rapidly and seems to be pretty accurate. I was a bit dubious about the built in HRM at first but any time I've compared it to manually taken pulse it has been spot on. The 220 is cheaper and AFAIK the only thing it's missing is the HRM so I would recommend that.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

NB - the 220 has a HRM, but it is a chest strap not an optical HRM

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

I have used an optical HRM for a bit and its simply not as good as the strap. Would love to get rid of the strap and that constant scar across my chest but its accurate in comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Sorry to cut in on a thread : Can someone recommend a running watch for my son (aged 11). He likes to run and goes twice or 3 times a week, about 4/5km a time.
    Myself and the husband track our runs on strava on the phone, all we really use it for is to review our distance, time and splits. Would like something similar for himself, preferably in watch format (although he is eyeing up my old phone for his own use!).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Sorry to cut in on a thread : Can someone recommend a running watch for my son (aged 11). He likes to run and goes twice or 3 times a week, about 4/5km a time.
    Myself and the husband track our runs on strava on the phone, all we really use it for is to review our distance, time and splits. Would like something similar for himself, preferably in watch format (although he is eyeing up my old phone for his own use!).

forget about a watch, get him into a club :)

RayCun wrote: »
    forget about a watch, get him into a club :)
    Oh I know!!! The local club is packed out and the 2016 waiting list hasn't issued yet to put his name down. He does park run nearly most Saturdays since the summer, currently in around 25 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Sunny Dayz wrote: »

+1 to Ray's advice, take him to a club. Please please please don't get him a device to track his running. He already has the perfect device: his body. At that age, he is the perfect judge of pace and effort and if he goes a little off track now and then, no problem.

You probably have a few known routes, use those and every now and then, put a stopwatch on them for the occasional time trial but for now, the emphasis should be on having fun, the sheer joy of running.

I have talked to quite a few athletes who were very successful in the 70s, 80s and 90s and asked what they think of gps and tracking devices. Most agree that they have a place for certain types of session however all said that in their opinion, they can place limits on an athlete's training too. They also 'numb' the dialogue between brain and body when running; instead of listening to feedback from the body, a runner can place an over-reliance on what the watch is telling them.

I know that you use yours for review, but it's a slippery slope....;)

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    +1 to Ray's advice, take him to a club. Please please please don't get him a device to track his running. He already has the perfect device: his body. At that age, he is the perfect judge of pace and effort and if he goes a little off track now and then, no problem.

You probably have a few known routes, use those and every now and then, put a stopwatch on them for the occasional time trial but for now, the emphasis should be on having fun, the sheer joy of running.

I have talked to quite a few athletes who were very successful in the 70s, 80s and 90s and asked what they think of gps and tracking devices. Most agree that they have a place for certain types of session however all said that in their opinion, they can place limits on an athlete's training too. They also 'numb' the dialogue between brain and body when running; instead of listening to feedback from the body, a runner can place an over-reliance on what the watch is telling them.

I know that you use yours for review, but it's a slippery slope....;)
    Thanks a mil. You're totally right! It's grand at parkrun, it's timed so I know what time he finished. But during the week, not a snowballs chance in me keeping up with him so I'm not sure what time he finishes his run at. You're right about him listening to his body and I do ask him how he finds his run after and we chat about it.
    I guess that he's mainly around adults when he runs both during the week with me at the GAA club and weekends at park run and he sees a lot of people with their watches and smart phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 operagust

Going back to Running watch discussion, what would you choose between TomTom Runner 2 Music and Sony Smartwatch 3? I still did not take any decision...

Advertisement