Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which first bike, 600cc, IBT done, Full A Learner

Options
  • 29-06-2015 9:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭

I had my heart set on a cbr 600 but that was without knowing anything about bikes. I've always loved cars and had many a hot hatch, m3s etc.

I done my IBT on the schools naked Suzuki gsr 600 and not I'm starting to doubt buying anything 'racy'

Now I don't know what to get. Do I splash out on a newish bike from a shop or just go with some 1k done deal thing for a year or so. Considering I dropped the school bike twice on the first day I suspect this will happen again at some point.

So now I find myself looking at the more street bike looking machines on done deal.

It will be used to commute into Dublin city about 30km each way when the weather is good.

don't think insurance will be much of an issue (I hope) as I'm 33 now. Had my full car licence for 10+ years.

Any ideas? Sorry if this is just another "what bike" thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

What do you want from motorbikes, are you gonna commute to and from work. Do you want just a blast on the weekends, or maybe you would like to go on tours around Ireland or Europe. The type of bike you get will directly affect what you can and cant do......also you height and weight will have to be considered.

If it was me I would get a nice upright bike (Vstrom, Bandit, Versys Etc) that is comfortable and with a commanding view of the road to get confidence, and go from there. After 6 mths you will know what you like and what you dont.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭slinky2000

Yea so it'll be used for just a weekend blast and possibly commuting into/out the city when it's nice outside.

I'm only 5'7" so not really tall. I did find the gsr I learnt in quite heavy up top, but maybe that was just me not knowing anything about other bikes.

Well if you think a gsxr 600 is heavy you in for a shock, if you want to commute get a bike with a fairing and decent screen and that can take a back box.

Sorry I edited the first post, it as a gsr600 not gsxr. It was the street bike style.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Aside from the bike and PPE, your insurance will be a big cost. Make sure you can afford the insurance before you buy a bike. Your car insurance may have absolutely no impact on the bike insurance cost. You are effectively starting from scratch on a bike.

I was in your position 7 months ago. I bought a new bike (F800 GSA) and I love it. Insurance was a kick, but I had planned for that. I love the bike and it's a great ride.

I never dropped the school bike when doing IBT, but have dropped my own new bike 3 times. A few scratches on the handguard, but nothing that bothers me. :D

Take your time to select the style and then bike you want. The shop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

You'll probably want to change bike every 6 months when you start off. Then after a few years you'll want more than one bike but also change them every few months.

So I'd recommend just getting out on the road asap to enjoy this decent weather! Take a look at done deal and you'll find a nice 600cc bike for 2k.

Are you looking for makes and models to look for? When I first started I didn't know any of the makes and models.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 PlayerA

I started 2 years ago on a CBR FS, commuting 2-3 days a week + spin on the weekend. the braces and the top end power asked more time to get used to and being comfortable with the bike than a usual starter bike (hmm regarding top end im not even sure there is any noticable difference...) but I am still riding it and really enjoying it today :) The bike is not too extreme to ride, the position is ok and the power quite controllable.

My plan is to go and do some trackdays a year in the future so I keep it.

As said above, depending on what you want to do with the bike and on your budget you will find happiness.

Oh and dont forget the crash bobbins if you tend to drop your bike to the ground that can save you some money!

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭liamnojo92

Have a look through all the 600's that can do the test something naked might be better, good beginner bikes are hornet,bandit, er5, gsr600,er6n,fz6, fazers,sv650 to name a few and see what you like the look of.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭coolkidirish

I was in the same boat as yourself 4 weeks ago.

Bought my bike before the IBT though, CBR600RR was my first choice but after seeing they were more expensive and insurance is very expensive I went for a 96 Suzuki Bandit GSR 600 so very similar to you.

From what I've read and heard from people the Bandits are one of the most reliable bikes around. The engines are bullet proof and are very affordable too.

I picked up my bike for €1300 and got my insurance for €315

NCB : 0
    Years Driving Bike : 0

Liberty gave me that quote, but wanted €577 first until I told them I'd take the car which I had insured with them for the last 5 years (when they were Quinn also) from them and they dropped it. But Carole and Nash weren't far behind them with €367 I think it was.

A buddy got a great quote with Adelaide also though so check them all, but you should get a good price on insurance anyway.

But back to the bike...

I'm 5ft 10 and I found the bike very heavy for the first few days also, but you get used to it very quick and know what to expect from it weight wise so will find it much handier after using it for a week or two. I've had mine for 4 weeks now and dropped it on my second day (caught it before it hit the ground and with a serious push got it up before it touched the ground ha) when I was coming out at a T-junction and left off the clutch too quick, conked the bike and she tipped over. But normal pushing it around is fine, you get used to it quick.

Best of luck with whatever you go for, and most importantly happy motoring.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Sv650, great bike for learning and can be very forgiving and powerful too. I had a 04 with a nice set of rental bars on it and it was comfortable on long spins or fast spins, you could ride it all day. Im 5'11 and size was fine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,924 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

slinky2000 wrote: »
    Considering I dropped the school bike twice on the first day I suspect this will happen again at some point.

Crash bobbins, or bars depending on bike, is the simple solution for this. Make sure to get crank case protectors also.

Hey guys thanks for the advice, I might be getting a 2000 fazer 600 off a family member who passed his test last year and wants to upgrade so this should do me just fine for the test and to get some experience on. I'll know some of the history and save me searching for a bike also.

Insurance off LibertY is 600 tpft or 850 fuly comp. I'll ring round and see if I can get it cheaper with the other companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

It's a great bike, I'm sure you'll love it. I have 1.5 of them myself :) One is slightly crashed.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,924 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

slinky2000 wrote: »
    Hey guys thanks for the advice, I might be getting a 2000 fazer 600 off a family member who passed his test last year and wants to upgrade so this should do me just fine for the test and to get some experience on. I'll know some of the history and save me searching for a bike also.

Insurance off Libert is 600 tpft or 850 fuly comp. I'll ring round and see if I can get it cheaper with the other companies.

Check the down pipes aren't rotten on it, mate has a few and all have rotten exhausts. Apart from that a good bike for starting on.

I too started out on a 09 FZ6 really is a brilliant bike, fast comfortable and looks well.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 DukeKevin

I have a CBR 600 and love it. I would not reccommend it as a first bike though. Its my 5th. For a daily commute, I would stick with mine but not reccommend it. I would pick something with a sit up position as someone earlier wrote. I did my IBT on a Fazer and liked it. I would reccomend something smaller for your first bike and again as someone said, you can switch after six months. Im with liberty and they allow a switch without any cost.

My first bike was a CG 125 and i did many miles on it before moving to a BROS. BROS is a great learner bike although they are a bit old now. You can pick one up at anything from 600 to 1000 and if your likely to drop it then its again a good choice. I crashed mine in a car park and landed on my chin (if i wasnt wearing a full face helmet i would have done serious damage). Making those kind of mistakes on a small bike has given me experiance before moving onto to a bigger bike. When i crashed the bros the chain came off and that was most of the damage, as the end weights on the handle bars took most of the hit. I cant speak for bikes i have not driven but I can say I would reccomend a bike smaller than a 600 for a first bike and straight handlebars for a daily commute. I love clip ons but most people say they get better leverage with the straight bars. Its taste I guess. You will learn what you like, in the engine, its its seating position, etc and have a bike you love some time. Dont expect to love the bike you learn on, although I did love that bros.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,750 ✭✭✭✭listermint

DukeKevin wrote: »
    I have a CBR 600 and love it. I would not reccommend it as a first bike though. Its my 5th. For a daily commute, I would stick with mine but not reccommend it. I would pick something with a sit up position as someone earlier wrote. I did my IBT on a Fazer and liked it. I would reccomend something smaller for your first bike and again as someone said, you can switch after six months. Im with liberty and they allow a switch without any cost.

My first bike was a CG 125 and i did many miles on it before moving to a BROS. BROS is a great learner bike although they are a bit old now. You can pick one up at anything from 600 to 1000 and if your likely to drop it then its again a good choice. I crashed mine in a car park and landed on my chin (if i wasnt wearing a full face helmet i would have done serious damage). Making those kind of mistakes on a small bike has given me experiance before moving onto to a bigger bike. When i crashed the bros the chain came off and that was most of the damage, as the end weights on the handle bars took most of the hit. I cant speak for bikes i have not driven but I can say I would reccomend a bike smaller than a 600 for a first bike and straight handlebars for a daily commute. I love clip ons but most people say they get better leverage with the straight bars. Its taste I guess. You will learn what you like, in the engine, its its seating position, etc and have a bike you love some time. Dont expect to love the bike you learn on, although I did love that bros.

My first bike was a 650, I would not recommend starting on something smaller, Personally if you are doing the Direct A License as the OP is id suggest doing most of the learning on something over 600, a 125 machine (I have one) is awful I felt, in terms of preparing anyone for the full test.

If the OP is looking to do the Test as soon as he can(6 months) I would get a bike that is suitable to do the test on. SV650 or similar.

OP I would recommend going straight for the test as soon as the limits allow you to, if you leave it you end up getting bad habits.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

What the others above said, after going in the last year from 250, to 600, to 1200 -- a 250 is actually more dangerous than a 600 on anything bigger than city streets. I certainly wouldn't go anywhere near an N road on a 125. Too little welly to get you out of any scrapes and you're spending too long choking the neck off the bike to actually pay attention. Plus you end up with aline of cars behind you because 80kph feels like the bike is about to start having bits fall off it.

Advertisement