Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clery's O'Connell Street is gone

Options
  • 12-06-2015 6:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭

Just heard from an employee That Clery,s has closed with immediate effect and has been liquidated despite earlier news of the company has been sold.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Phoenix3 wrote: »
    Just heard from an employee That Clery,s has closed with immediate effect and has been liquidated despite earlier news of the company has been sold.

Sh*t :/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Hopefully it will re-open as Clerys again in the not too distant future. Such an iconic building and clock!

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Phoenix3

kerry4sam wrote: »
    Hopefully it will re-open as Clerys again in the not too distant future. Such an iconic building and clock!

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

From what I heard, it dosen't look likely

• Registered Users Posts: 19,402 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Rubbish news but I'm not totally surprised. I've often gone in for a wonder around the men's depts and I've never bought a thing. For me, it's just not up to date in what it offers and price wise relatively expensive. Arnotts is leagues ahead. As are the likes of Zara etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,001 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

just seen it flash up on rte news now. dreadful news. my thoughts are with the staff and their families right now

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Phoenix3

road_high wrote: »
    Rubbish news but I'm not totally surprised. I've often gone in for a wonder around the men's depts and I've never bought a thing. For me, it's just not up to date in what it offers and price wise relatively expensive. Arnotts is leagues ahead. As are the likes of Zara etc.

Sorry if you think it's rubbish news,maybe I shouldn't have bothered my backside starting the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

With that lovely clock, the building would make a great MacDonalds.

bpmurray wrote: »

oh god, please, no

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Yellowblackbird

It's a grand building. Maybe they could put in some amusements.
    A burger and chip place upstairs. Snooker on the top floor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Merl1n

Sad news such an iconic store

• Registered Users Posts: 23,565 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The country is uncompetitive and that costs jobs. No lessons have been learned from the crisis.

This is where all the pay rise lark becomes fatal for jobs. Sad to see it close but not at all surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Damn. Clerys is great and I found the mens dept to be good value and a better place to shop than arnotts. Which is a bit too blingy and modern now for me.

I saw the sale story but didn't think it meant a liquidation. Hope it's open and back on it's feet soon. Such a part of dublin.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Heart breaking news. I worked there for years as did many family members.

It was basically like working in the biggest corner shop in the world.

Learned a lot about how to deal with people and how the world works, and even if people don't realise, Dublin is a lot poorer for not having a Clerys in it.

Phoenix3 wrote: »
    Sorry if you think it's rubbish news,maybe I shouldn't have bothered my backside starting the thread.

Wtf? I meant it's rubbish news as in bad news...thanks for starting the thread, very news worthy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

They had a great chance to bring it up to speed during the recent closure but the range of goods just wasn't up to scratch and the layout felt a bit claustrophobic.

bpmurray wrote: »

Would the likes of John Lewis be interested?

sabat wrote: »
    They had a great chance to bring it up to speed during the recent closure but the range of goods just wasn't up to scratch and the layout felt a bit claustrophobic.

I was in it about a month ago. Had a look around and thought same to myself, nothing much had changed. Can't remember when I last bought something in there. And that's the problem. It's customer base has been dying and they haven't moved on much.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,116 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Would the likes of John Lewis be interested?

I suspect this is the likely result.

This has come as a surprise as they were operating normally as recently as yesterday - we'd deal with their marketing/advertising in work and future plans were on the table.

The staff I ever worked with there were all very good; although (and I suspect this is the crux of the issue) I can't remember ever buying anything there.

The country is uncompetitive and that costs jobs. No lessons have been learned from the crisis.

This is where all the pay rise lark becomes fatal for jobs. Sad to see it close but not at all surprised.

im thinking the same as well. im not sure we ve learned a thing from this recession but pay cuts and increases in taxes aint working at all. globalisation is costing jobs. this race to the bottom has got to stop. its not sustainable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

It's not much good for o'connell st. heading into 2016 if clerys sits there empty for a while. This was the main dublin store on the main street of the country, so makes me wonder how strong this recovery really is.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,114 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

The home dept was grand, bought stuff in there a few weeks ago, only problem was it was hidden way up the top.

Don't think I bought clothes in there since I was in college 10 yrs ago...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

Best of luck to all concerned. I've been on the receiving end myself (no pun intended) and it hasn't
    been easy so fight hard for everything you can. Small money in todays economy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Eutow

sugarman wrote: »
    Not surprised, its the location.

Theres nothing down there.

If im shopping in the city centre, the first place I will head for things is to Graton St, and then Henry st.

Would never walk down as a far as there.

The shop also seemed so dated and prices were just too expensive.

What do you mean it's the location? Walking from Grafton Street to Henry Street you are passing close to, or walking on O'Connell Street. I would hate to see you in a big city like London or New York. How would you cope with actually distance between tourist spots.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭markpb

Is anyone else confused by the fact that it was sold and put into liquidation on the same day, I presume they're related somehow?

so makes me wonder how strong this recovery really is.

im not convinced by this 'recovery' at all. im fearing the worst has yet to come with thousands of families facing home repossessions etc.

now that was hard to watch on rte nine news

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Eutow

sugarman wrote: »
    ...iv lived in London and SF.

There's not only one way to Henry st.

Quickest and handiest way would be to walk down through temple bar, over the millennium or happeny bridge and up through Liffey st to where Jervis / Arnotts is.. That's where id do my shopping. Not going beyond where debenhams/old roches stores is as there's feck all there.

Still only a five minute detour from that route though. It's basically sitting on the corner of one of the busiest streets/junctions in Dublin. If that isn't a prime location I don't know what is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭LadyFenghuang

They didn't vary enough to take advantage of the type of traffic they were getting. It's very sad to hear though. For the staff obviously but also for Dublin. :-(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Miaireland

My heart goes out to the staff of Clerys.

Advertisement