Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parsley sauce is awful!

Options
  • 05-06-2015 8:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭

Just made a beautiful hake dish for dinner...and completely ruined it with parsley sauce! Oh I can't stand parsley sauce! Horrible taste, horrible accompaniment to fish. Anybody have any positive experiences with said sauce? I hope so! I can't stand it!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭NOS3

I once had a bad experience with parsley sauce. did you just add all the ingredients together in a pan? Because that's what I did :D I have since learned that you have to make a Roux with the flour and the butter, which you then add to boiled milk to thicken and then the parsley :) I haven't tried it since, but I'm hoping it will taste better.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

I'm fond of it - with pig though and not fish

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Whistlejacket

Parsley sauce for bacon, where it's delicious. I'd find it too heavy and cloying for white fish.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I like it with bacon but would think that it is too strong with fish. Also homemade is the only way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DenMan

Hey guys! Thanks for the replies. I made the hake and my Dad wanted to have parsley sauce with it so he put it over the fish. It was the packet one where you add milk and stir. It was horrible. Never doing that again! Lesson learned. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭jungleman

DenMan wrote: »
    Just made a beautiful hake dish for dinner...and completely ruined it with parsley sauce! Oh I can't stand parsley sauce! Horrible taste, horrible accompaniment to fish. Anybody have any positive experiences with said sauce? I hope so! I can't stand it!

You take that back. You take that back right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

DenMan wrote: »

probably no-one explained it to ya - you need to use a sauce boat

4182f10355b1eba6a41a4f25d9749805.jpg

carefully pour the parsely sauce into the sauce boat and you can then pour it into the bin without making a mess

• Registered Users Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DenMan

gctest50 wrote: »
    probably no-one explained it to ya - you need to use a sauce boat

4182f10355b1eba6a41a4f25d9749805.jpg

carefully pour the parsely sauce into the sauce boat and you can then pour it into the bin without making a mess

I suggested it but as soon as I took the fish up my Dad put the sauce on the fish for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,789 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I'd imagine that packet parsley sauce is rank, alright. Dried parsley is foul.

I love home made parsley sauce with bacon. Love it.

Infuse the milk with grated carrot, onion and celery for extra depth of flavour and add lots and lots of freshly chopped flat leaf parsley just before serving. Yummy

• Registered Users Posts: 21,427 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Interesting thread ... I'm English and the only thing I'd ever heard of having parsley sauce on before I moved here was actually fish. I must say I find the idea of having it on bacon a bit weird to be honest :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,339 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Alun wrote: »
    Interesting thread ... I'm English and the only thing I'd ever heard of having parsley sauce on before I moved here was actually fish. I must say I find the idea of having it on bacon a bit weird to be honest :)

That's because you have no culture! (as I say to my English wife everytime she turns her nose up at parsley sauce with bacon). It's the food of the gods!!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,789 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

That's because you have no culture! (as I say to my English wife everytime she turns her nose up at parsley sauce with bacon). It's the food of the gods!!!! :)

My English wife loves parsley sauce with bacon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I love parsley sauce made from scratch, no packets! I have only poured it (by the gallon) over bacon, ham, or fresh or smoked cod. Oh, and fresh parsley only please! Never dried! I'm drooling now. :)

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I'd imagine that packet parsley sauce is rank, alright. Dried parsley is foul.

I love home made parsley sauce with bacon. Love it.

Infuse the milk with grated carrot, onion and celery for extra depth of flavour and add lots and lots of freshly chopped flat leaf parsley just before serving. Yummy

Try this sauce with bacon if you fancy a change, one I cobbled together myself:

Finely dice a shallot and fry in a knob of butter, add a tablespoon or so of chicken stock, lower heat and add a tablespoon of wholegrain mustard, half teaspoon turamic powder and a small carton of cream fraiche.

Advertisement