Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Universal oil cooler

Options
  • 17-05-2015 10:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭

I am looking for a oil cooler and pipe work, kit essentially its for an air cooled quad. Ebay and few other sites are not throwing up anything very suitable. Any Irish sites or shops that stock what I need that I wont need the KY jelly? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

What quad is the kit to fit?
    Do you want a radiator style or machined aluminium?
    Any decent reliable oil cooler kit will be fairly expensive and on a Quad they don't get that much airflow to be of huge benefit, usually the oil capacity is higher on quads to ensure that the oil can cool the engine effectively.
    ABP racing in Germany sell Oil coolers but they are not cheap, I would also recommend fitting an inline oil stat as well to avoid over cooling which can be problematic, generally in Ireland high oil temps aren't a huge issue with air cooled 4 strokes in normal use.
    Have you measured the oil temp?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Tony Beetroot

Its an old Honda 350, it had an oil cooler hose burst. Other hose isn't great along with original cooler. It gets very hot when the owner does spraying or other heavy work its not designed to do.
    Im going to a bike breaker tomorrow might find something off a crashed bike. Connections are catching me with some solutions. No fear of overcooling in this example.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Its an old Honda 350, it had an oil cooler hose burst. Other hose isn't great along with original cooler. It gets very hot when the owner does spraying or other heavy work its not designed to do.
    Im going to a bike breaker tomorrow might find something off a crashed bike. Connections are catching me with some solutions. No fear of overcooling in this example.
    If you need a biggish cooler, the old Carina E had a handy sized oil cooler in the front about 10" x 6" which is a good size cooler.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Tony Beetroot

I have a few off old jeeps too but room is not great. That carina one would be too big also. I have made some progress, I have found fittings to get me to 3/8 hydraulic hose. Bsp treads on cooler now or jic. I have found some on ebay just need to figure out size 6 jic fitting. Im most sure it will crimp to 3/8 hose. If it wont ill get a bsp thread cooler, have found a nice size jic thread cooler on auction.

Advertisement