Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows - Rationel or Munster Joinery

Options
  • 14-05-2015 7:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭

I am right at the point of deciding on where to buy my windows for my new build and it has come down to Rationel and Munster Joinery so I am wondering if people have any advice for me as to who to use.

One of the reps is slating the other company and the other is more professional.

My build includes a few large sliders and am hoping to go Aluclad.

Apart from u-values what else can I use to compare them?

Please pm me any recommendations or advice.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,741 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Mod Note: By PM only please...thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Superdaddy

I had my windows fitted yesterday by one of those companies. I got triple glazed passive certified alu clad. And had one 3.4m slider and a few more very large pieces of glass. I got a letter in the post a week previous to say when they'd be on site. Yesterday morning they arrived a 8am sharp. I met them on site and was there for the duration of the fitting. When they had questions I could answer them and everything went perfect apart from one bathroom window being 100mm too small due to a misread in the factory. The lads had travelled from Kerry that morning and they were a well oiled team of professionals. I was seriously impressed with their work and attention to detail. Many people have been critical of window fitters and I raised this with the team leader when they were done. His reply was that having the client on site makes their job 10 times easier as matters can be resolved as they go, otherwise they are left guessing.
    I cannot fault their workmanship or etiquette. They took every scrap of waste and packaging away and left the site spot less. Very pleasant gang of lads. Great service overall from the company, especially the rep and fantastic quality windows and doors. As my wife swung our newly fitted back door closed she joked " sounds like a Golf". I will PM the company name. My advice is be on site, I booked the day off work when I got the letter.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭baby builder

Superdaddy wrote: »
    I had my windows fitted yesterday by one of those companies. I got triple glazed passive certified alu clad. And had one 3.4m slider and a few more very large pieces of glass. I got a letter in the post a week previous to say when they'd be on site. Yesterday morning they arrived a 8am sharp. I met them on site and was there for the duration of the fitting. When they had questions I could answer them and everything went perfect apart from one bathroom window being 100mm too small due to a misread in the factory. The lads had travelled from Kerry that morning and they were a well oiled team of professionals. I was seriously impressed with their work and attention to detail. Many people have been critical of window fitters and I raised this with the team leader when they were done. His reply was that having the client on site makes their job 10 times easier as matters can be resolved as they go, otherwise they are left guessing.
    I cannot fault their workmanship or etiquette. They took every scrap of waste and packaging away and left the site spot less. Very pleasant gang of lads. Great service overall from the company, especially the rep and fantastic quality windows and doors. As my wife swung our newly fitted back door closed she joked " sounds like a Golf". I will PM the company name. My advice is be on site, I booked the day off work when I got the letter.

I'd appreciate that PM too Superdaddy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Vote 4 Pedro

@ Superdaddy

Any chance you can PM me the company details as finding a good window company seems to be a nightmare and a good experience as you had is what I would be hoping for.

Many thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭gooner99

Pm too please.thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,214 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Jane98 wrote: »
    I am right at the point of deciding on where to buy my windows for my new build and it has come down to Rationel and Munster Joinery so I am wondering if people have any advice for me as to who to use.

One of the reps is slating the other company and the other is more professional.

My build includes a few large sliders and am hoping to go Aluclad.

Please pm me any recommendations or advice.

The quality of the tracking and of seals on the sliders is key.

I have seen airtightness tests for large sliders, neither of the above companies, where the quality of both the seals and tracking was poor.

I have direct personal experience of both of your companies.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 SelfBuilder James

@ Superdaddy - I would really appreciate a PM on the company that manufactured your windows also :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 sb2015

Would greatly appreciate a PM too regarding experience. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭D_D

Would love a PM as well, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Yelworc14

I would agree Superdaddy, would love a PM of the company.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭milout

Hiya,

Please can I have a PM too.

Cheers
    M

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭mrsWhippy

Can I have that PM too please? Much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭npgallag

Please PM to me as well ..thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭JonathonS

......The lads had travelled from Kerry that morning.....
    Any chance you can PM me the company details as finding a good window company seems to be a nightmare and a good experience as you had is what I would be hoping for.

Hmmm....I'm thinking that as the lads travelled from Kerry they probably work for a large window company based in our southernmost province? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Radiotower

Can you PM the name of the window contractor you used (and the rep) to me please Superdaddy, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Jane98

Anyone any dealings with Carlson also?

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Superdaddy

JonathonS wrote: »
    Hmmm....I'm thinking that as the lads travelled from Kerry they probably work for a large window company based in our southernmost province? :rolleyes:
    That's a fair observation. Two Heineken cups to its credit too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭fatty pang

To use an analogy, the windows/doors that you have mentioned have about as much in common with each other as a diesel-engined van has with a petrol-engined saloon. Both the car and the van are similar in that they will move people and luggage from one place to another. As you will appreciate there are considerable differences between the two.

A few things to consider regardless of manufacturer;
    Weather performance – water & airtightness and resistance to windload
    Expected service life - basis of any claims/assertions
    Strength and stability of framing material

Thermal performance
    Warranty – what is excluded is often more important then what is included
    Testing – what size unit has been tested and how did it perform. (Important one this)
    Is the actual product you are buying subject to annual audit testing by an independent third-party scheme
    How easy is it to get replacement parts
    Maintenance requirements - longterm 'repairability'

Enhanced security features/certification
    Functionality/ease of use of restrictors
    How easy to clean upper floor windows
    Timber quality if clear finishes are required
    Trickle vents – concealed or protruding from the frame
    If on the off-chance you are environmentally conscious you may also want to factor in the embodied energy content of the materials used

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭JonathonS

fatty pang wrote: »
    Trickle vents – concealed or protruding from the frame

Very useful checklist, thanks.

What is your opinion on the two types of window vents you mention?

Also, I have heard conflicting opinions on whether there should be any vents in windows. One side says good, the other says bad, ie venting should be via dedicated room vents. Any thoughts on that?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,767 ✭✭✭893bet

How is the house being ventilated?

• Advertisement

893bet wrote: »
    How is the house being ventilated?

Vents????

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Vents????

Can you Provide a few more words to explain yourself Jane

BryanF wrote: »
    Can you Provide a few more words to explain yourself Jane

We are renovating an old house built in the 60s. Currently there are no vents in any of the rooms so where we can we will install new vents, otherwise vents will go in some of the windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭skittles11

Hi Superdaddy, I'm a little late onto this thread but were about to start a build and looking at windows. Could you pm me that company please? And the rep too I you can. Thanks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 400 ✭✭ruskin

So whats the better window- Munster Joinery or Rational? Pm me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Curious Geroge

Consider who the installer is also; All window companies offer installation services; Most self-builders will have them installed as it’s a one stop shop for all issues (or so you believe). Check the various companies that use installers in your area who do not actually work for the company. When something goes wrong, you'll feel the pain and stress as the blame game begins.

Can anyone PM me on what company is the better window? A relative of mine is wondering Munster Joinery or Rational for a new house

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭cpoh1

ruskin wrote: »
    Can anyone PM me on what company is the better window? A relative of mine is wondering Munster Joinery or Rational for a new house

Is this not a bit subjective? Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that!

What is his priority? Cost? finish? lead time?

I'm in the process of buying new windows for my house and I'm visiting the showrooms of both these guys, getting quotes and researching their install and after sales capabilities before making a decision. If you leave this up to the recommendation of a random internet user you are mad!

cpoh1 wrote: »
    Is this not a bit subjective? Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that!

What is his priority? Cost? finish? lead time?

I'm in the process of buying new windows for my house and I'm visiting the showrooms of both these guys, getting quotes and researching their install and after sales capabilities before making a decision. If you leave this up to the recommendation of a random internet user you are mad!

Don't bother so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭little_monty

I've had [snip] alu-clad windows installed recently .
    I haven't moved into the house yet but very happy with the windows/doors and service so far

PM me if you have further questions

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement