Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

post long run nutrition

Options
  • 30-04-2015 4:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

hi guys.looking for a few tips for what to eat after my long weekend run.usually its a 14 to 16 mile run taking between two and two and a half hrs.any advice on what one should eat protein shakes etc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

benwed wrote: »
    hi guys.looking for a few tips for what to eat after my long weekend run.usually its a 14 to 16 mile run taking between two and two and a half hrs.any advice on what one should eat protein shakes etc

I usually have a omelette or scramble egg and bagel or pancakes if the wife has them ready :D

• Registered Users Posts: 27 benwed

have u any experience with runner specific protein bars shakes etc

My coach recommends: Kinetica recovery or similar*, chocolate milk, a banana, or some dried fruit and nuts.

I'm still finishing a tub of kinetica but myprotein do a cheaper equivalent which Alf Veedersane kindly compared for me before. I'll dig out the info. A tub of Nesquik chocolate powder was also suggested as a much cheaper, and effective alternative :)

Edit: Info here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=93943254&postcount=17

• Registered Users Posts: 27 benwed

cheers for that i can experiment over the next few weeks before the training plan kicks in for dcm 15

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭demfad

My coach recommends: Kinetica recovery or similar*, chocolate milk, a banana, or some dried fruit and nuts.

I'm still finishing a tub of kinetica but myprotein do a cheaper equivalent which Alf Veedersane kindly compared for me before. I'll dig out the info. A tub of Nequik chocolate powder was also suggested as a much cheaper, and effective alternative :)

Edit: Info here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=93943254&postcount=17

Hi Whoops.

Where does one get either the kinetica or myprotein may i ask?

(Im in Dublin area)

Thks

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Elvery's for kinnetica demfad, or amphibian king for that matter.

http://www.elverys.ie/Product/kinetica-100-recovery-1kg/219575/0000001489

OP these are grand for post session - as in straight afterwards but you should be looking to get some real food into you within an hour or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭Enduro

benwed wrote: »
    have u any experience with runner specific protein bars shakes etc

If you want to go for over-priced over-marketed unnatural junk, fire away. You won't beat the likes of what average_runner suggested though. Eggs are a superb healthy natural protein source.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

demfad wrote: »
    Hi Whoops.

(Im in Dublin area)

Thks
    Holland and Barrett have it and regularly have buy one get one half price deal.
    Amphibian King has it too.

demfad wrote: »
    Hi Whoops.

(Im in Dublin area)

Thks

Oh sorry, myprotein.ie I should have said that!

You can get Kinetica in Elvery's, Amphibian King, I think Supervalu in blackrock, or online in loads of places. This crowd do same day delivery but I'm not sure how much they charge for that.

adrian522 wrote: »
    OP these are grand for post session - as in straight afterwards but you should be looking to get some real food into you within an hour or so.

Yep. I'm advised to have a full meal within 90 minutes as well as some recovery within 20 minutes.

Though I know Enduro spoke to me before about there not being a requirement to refuel so soon.

(to add: I'm not able to eat immediately after long or hard runs, takes my tummy a while to settle so I need a liquid form of recovery - though I have read that plain old skimmed milk has the perfect 2:1 ratio).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Enduro wrote: »
    If you want to go for over-priced over-marketed unnatural junk, fire away. You won't beat the likes of what average_runner suggested though. Eggs are a superb healthy natural protein source.

In fairness, a nice smoothie made with a scoop of protein would be better than bagels or pancakes. Plus if you finish a race it's pretty tough to get a few eggs into you within a reasonable time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

pconn062 wrote: »
    In fairness, a nice smoothie made with a scoop of protein would be better than bagels or pancakes. Plus if you finish a race it's pretty tough to get a few eggs into you within a reasonable time.

Reason I avoid those protein shakes is because of the stuff in them, never know the long term effects, keep to natural stuff if possible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Cona

Is there any good websites or books that give ideas for recipes for healthy diet for a runner?

I'm useless at cooking and stuff so my diet ends up being crap...need to start fixing that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Chocolate milk! (Any excuse to drink it). Catherina McKiernan says that's what she has (that or normal milk), so if it's good enough for her it's good enough for me.

I'm not doing runs longer than 12-13 at the moment, so I don't always have chocolate milk, but if I did, i would have about half a little carton after my run and then some poached eggs on toast a while later. I also use the 'must have protein' thing as an excuse for some coffee with hot milk.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Pink11

Agreed on the chocolate milk!! I've made a deal with myself that I'm allowed to have a lovely warm chocolate milk if I do 20km plus! It's so comforting when I get back.

Banana and Meridian peanut butter is another quick thing you could grab.

I'm going to buy a new hand blender at the weekend and start making batches of these bad boys for pre or post long runs: http://minimalistbaker.com/3-ingredient-peanut-butter-granola-bars/

Agree with you Daisy. I need some time before I can stomach solid food after a long run. I used to feel nauseas after actually till recently. Thankfully it has passed now (anyone else experience this!?)
    On nights I do my long runs I never eat enough post run as I end up going to bed. I stock up pre run though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

It really doesn't matter what you eat after a very long run. In fact it is only important that you eat something rather than nothing. A recent study has shown that eating McDonalds is just as effective to recovery as the top selling nutritional products.

http://www.runnersworld.com/injury-prevention-recovery/fast-food-may-help-you-recover-similar-to-sport-products

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

There's a lot to be said for eating an apple and a few mandarins straight after a long run.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Cona wrote: »
    Is there any good websites or books that give ideas for recipes for healthy diet for a runner?

I'm useless at cooking and stuff so my diet ends up being crap...need to start fixing that

There's a book by Derval that gets good reviews. There was a thread on here a while back too with lots of good recipes there.

Runners world have some good ones too.

Derval
    Thread
    Runners world

Here are some I've used or at least variations of them(Disclaimer: Not necessarily all that healthy!):

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2014/sep/25/how-to-cook-perfect-pasta-puttanesca-recipe
    http://www.runnersworld.com/photos/ten-great-for-summer-recipes?cm_mmc=Facebook-_-RunnersWorld-_-Content-Nutrition-_-GreatForSummerRecipes
    http://www.runnersworld.com/recipes/5-no-cook-recipes-for-summer?cm_mmc=Facebook-_-RunnersWorld-_-Content-Nutrition-_-ColdSummerRecipes
    http://www.runnersworld.com/recipes/recipe-fusilli-with-basil-tomatoes-and-avocado-sauce?cid=social_20140721_28182086

Derval O'Rourke's book is never far away from me. A huge amount of my food plan is based around her recipes.

She has some great recipes for post workout snacks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭Ed Mc

Cona wrote: »

Cook books are great( I have hundreds) but can sometimes overwhelm the amateur cook.

1. Make your cooking simple to begin with.
    2. Use good quality fresh ingredients.
    3. Prepare your food the day before or in the morning.(so the task can be enjoyable and stress free)

Take a simple roast chicken dinner.

Step one
    Drizzle the chicken with some olive oil stick a lemon in half inside the cavity and roast 180'c for around 2 hrs. Depending on the size.

Step 2
    Take some carrots and parsnips, peel and cut length ways. Chop some rosemary and garlic toss together in some olive oil and roast in a tray one hr. After the chicken goes on.

Step 3
    Place some baby potatoes in a pot of boiling water 20minutes before the chicken is ready.

Let the chicken rest for 15mins covered with tin foil on the counter. The meat will relax and retain more of its juices.
    After plating you can squeeze the lemon over the chicken.
    A little rocket and tomato on the side with some balsamic vinegar.

The important thing when beginning to cook is to use only a few ingredients.
    By using fresh, good quality ingredients you've already got the flavour there.

Just keep it simple, cook with foods your enjoy and when you get more confident you can begin to experiment more.

The left over chicken can be use in various ways.
    A chick pea stew
    Enchilada
    Curry
    Hot chicken and roast veg salad
    Risotto.

These dishes may sound intimidating but are quiet simple also with Some confidence.

To answer the op's question I have a banana and a glass of milk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭echancrure

Post long run meal that takes 2 minutes to do, sometimes before the shower:

2 fried eggs with tinned tuna (or tinned mackerel because it's more environmentally friendly, is cheaper and has omega 3s)
    with a glass of skimmed milk

Advertisement