Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Older PCiii

Options
  • 23-04-2015 7:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭

There's an older PC3 for my bike after cropping up on a forum for reasonable money and I'm thinking about it. It's an older serial port model which is turning people off. I don't know if it's that much use in general but I've been thinking about getting a PC to get my bike running right rather than the power/ tuning benefits. I think something state-of-the-art would be wasted on me tbh.

Will it still have the same tunability as a USB model or are there other compromises with it's age?

Any idea what it's worth anyway? I think £100 shipped or a touch less would buy it which is much cheaper than the USB models it seems.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭szatan84

Isfit uses serial then u need a rs232 port on a laptop or computer. You will need a old computer or laptop to program it as new equipment doesnt have an rs232 port . Also you will need to manually configure the port and so on as rs232 does not support Plug & Pray. Will be a bit harder to get going but not much.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Wossack

when you say make the bike run right, you're just trying to tweak fueling to smooth out the power?

Personally, I think they're useless unless coupled with some dyno time - so check with your local place and see if they'll work with a serial attached one. They'd have a better idea too of the usb vs serial ones

note that they can be fiddly to install, and the wiring is delicate enough - you'd want to know for sure that its all there, and wasnt just hauled out from where it was last fitted

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Plopli

szatan84 wrote: »
    Isfit uses serial then u need a rs232 port on a laptop or computer. You will need a old computer or laptop to program it as new equipment doesnt have an rs232 port . Also you will need to manually configure the port and so on as rs232 does not support Plug & Pray. Will be a bit harder to get going but not much.

No Need for an old computer. USB to RS232 are fairly easy to find.
    I've at least 3 here.
    example: https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11304

Advertisement