Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ One HD is now on Saorsat

Options
  • 25-03-2015 1:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭

:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Mallagio

radiowaves wrote: »

Cheers bud.... Roll on 28e

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Mallagio wrote: »

What do you mean about 28e?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

JDxtra wrote: »
    What do you mean about 28e?

He means for RTE1 Hd To be available to Sky Subscribers currently only had RTE1 SD.

Ahhh, thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Missymoohaa

Mallagio wrote: »

When will it be available on sky?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

When will it be available on sky?

Thats the million dollar question...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

Frequency?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭radiowaves

UrbanFret wrote: »
    Frequency?

Frequency is unchanged; RTÉ One has simply been replaced by RTÉ One HD.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭Widescreen

All we'll need then are some programmes that are actually in HD!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Mallagio

So Sky are now the only provider without RTE One HD..... What gives??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭jimbo2007

What are the PIDs and SID please? When SD it was

VPID 5101
    APID 5201
    SID 5201

Please can you clarify. What is it now? Thanks

And the full line-up used to be:

5101/5201 (5201): RTÉ ONE (MPEG4/SD)
    5102/5202 (5202): RTÉ TWO (MPEG4/HD)
    5103/5203 (5203): RTÉ NEWS NOW (MPEG4/SD)
    5104/5204 (5204): TG 4 (MPEG4/SD)
    5105/5205 (5205): 2RN Test Card (MPEG4/SD)
    5106/5206 (5206): 2RN Test Card (MPEG4/SD)
    5017/5207 (5207): RTÉ Jr (MPEG4/SD)
    5018/5208 (5208): RTÉ ONE+1 (MPEG4/SD)
    5226 (5226): RTÉ Radio 1
    5227 (5227): RTÉ 2FM
    5228 (5228): RTÉ Lyric FM
    5229 (5229): RTÉ Radio na Gaeltachta
    5230 (5230): RTÉ Radio 1 Extra
    5231 (5231): RTÉ Pulse
    5232 (5232): RTÉ 2XM
    5234 (5234): RTÉ Gold
    5235 (5235): RTÉ Jr Radio/RTÉ Chill

Any changes to this listing and any changes to SR and FEC? Also, there used to be a second frequency in use I thought? What was that and what was on it?

Thanks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Only took them all of a year and a half to launch it, still no TV3, 3e and UTV, Saorsat should either be renamed into Saorview via Satellite with a mirror service or else it should be scrapped and start building more smaller rural transmitters which should be paid for by a special levy on wind farms who are responsible for TV interference in several locations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭FRIENDO

It's great now to have RTE one HD on Saorsat, a welcomed addition.

Why can't Saorview and Saorsat just be the same?
    It would make sense if a channel pays for carriage on Saorview this should also include carriage on Saorsat.

After all Saorsat is also used for a backup for Saorview, more of a reason to have the same channel line up on both platforms.

FRIENDO wrote: »
    It's great now to have RTE one HD on Saorsat, a welcomed addition.

It would make sense if a channel pays for carriage on Saorview this should also include carriage on Saorsat.

After all Saorsat is also used for a backup for Saorview, more of a reason to have the same channel line up on both platforms.

If that is the case that would make perfect sense

Can you please tell me the PIDs above are they still unchanged? Thanks.

They are two totally different and separate platforms.

Which naturally means carriage on Saorsat has extra associated costs which the commercial broadcasters obvously don't feel is worth paying for the amount of viewers it serves.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,736 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Widescreen wrote: »
    All we'll need then are some programmes that are actually in HD!

You're still waving that flag? It has already been pointed out to you that RTÉ One and Two both show programming in HD.

jimbo2007 wrote: »
    Can you please tell me the PIDs above are they still unchanged? Thanks.

Sorry I cant help jimbo2007,
    I only have the Kasat (9.0E) 20185/L/25000

It appears RTE One SD was just swapped with RTE One HD

Sorry I cant help jimbo2007,
    I only have the Kaseat (9.0E) 20185/L/25000

It appears RTE One SD was just swapped with RTE One HD

I ask because the make-up of he mux may now be different because HD takes up more bandwidth so that is why I asked fora new full list of PIDs SIDs and service labels.

Hope someone can answer this soon.

Thanks for your help

They are two totally different and separate platforms.

Which naturally means carriage on Saorsat has extra associated costs which the commercial broadcasters obvously don't feel is worth paying for the amount of viewers it serves.

Hi radiowaves, yes I know they are two separate platforms, I suppose I'm only dreaming about a better or improved FTA service for the public.

Unfortunately with the small number of homes relying on Saorsat, we will possibly find ourselves ignored by the powers to be and the legislators in Leinster House.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭colossus-x

Is the quality of the picture on the satellite any better than the HD picture on terrestrial which I find quite poor in comparison to what I get on 28.2 when watching BBC HD etc ?

• Advertisement

colossus-x wrote: »
    Is the quality of the picture on the satellite any better than the HD picture on terrestrial which I find quite poor in comparison to what I get on 28.2 when watching BBC HD etc ?

I find RTE 2 HD (Saorsat) every bit as good as BBC HD or UTV HD on (Freesat)
    I sometime wonder is RTÉ better picture quality.
    Using a Walker Saorsat approved box and a Humax Freesat box

Picture from RTÉ One HD this morning

Shame most of the content is upscaled. Even most movies they show are upscaled, which makes no sense to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭colossus-x

I find RTE 2 HD (Saorsat) every bit as good as BBC HD or UTV HD on (Freesat)
    I sometime wonder is RTÉ better picture quality.
    Using a Walker Saorsat approved box and a Humax Freesat box

Picture from RTÉ One HD this morning

There are a lot of factors to take into account when comparing the quality of a picture on a TV but everything else being equal it boils down to the resolution and the bit rate of that signal. I'm not sure if your technically minded but all you have to do is compare the numbers ie the lower the bit rate the lower the quality of the picture will be. It's not arguable then which one is better. I don't have those figures to hand atm but I can see if I can find them.

Edit: I'm sorry your talking about Saorast which is what I was asking about ! Duh! You find it better that the DVB-t version then?

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭khumbu

The saorsat carriage cost must be a small percentage of the saorview carriage cost.
    I'm surprised the commercial channels have not shown more interest. It would be a low cost way to go HD for TV3/TG4/UTV if they decided to stay SD on saorview, they could launch HD services on soarsat for less than going HD on saorview.
    You might see the number of dishes pointed at 9E increase if any of the SD saorview channels were available in HD on 9e.
    Even if Oireachtas don't pay up for saorview, I assume carriage on saorsat would have been a lot less than they pay sky right now.

khumbu wrote: »
    The saorsat carriage cost must be a small percentage of the saorview carriage cost.
    I'm surprised the commercial channels have not shown more interest. It would be a low cost way to go HD for TV3/TG4/UTV if they decided to stay SD on saorview, they could launch HD services on soarsat for less than going HD on saorview.
    You might see the number of dishes pointed at 9E increase if any of the SD saorview channels were available in HD on 9e.
    Even if Oireachtas don't pay up for saorview, I assume carriage on saorsat would have been a lot less than they pay sky right now.

You're looking solely at costs.

The broadcasters will be looking at cost per person or potential viewer (which I did mention in the post you quoted). That would make carriage on Astra extremely cheap by comparison.

There will simply not be any sort of migration to Saorsat no matter what is put on it. Sky's penetration is massive and Saorsat could never compete with what is on offer there. And this is not even taking into account the size of dish needed :)

What's been missed by you is that Saorsat exists for the sole purpose of offering reception to a very small minority who cannot receive terrestrial coverage. It will never attempt to compete commercially with Sky (nor Saorview for that matter).

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭khumbu

You're looking solely at costs.

The broadcasters will be looking at cost per person or potential viewer (which I did mention in the post you quoted). That would make carriage on Astra extremely cheap by comparison.

There will simply not be any sort of migration to Saorsat no matter what is put on it. Sky's penetration is massive and Saorsat could never compete with what is on offer there. And this is not even taking into account the size of dish needed :)

What's been missed by you is that Saorsat exists for the sole purpose of offering reception to a very small minority who cannot receive terrestrial coverage. It will never attempt to compete commercially with Sky (nor Saorview for that matter).

It doesn't need to compete with either sky or saorview. It can complement both.

eg. TV3 isn't on HD on any platform right now. Saorsat could possibly be very cheap way for them to transmit in HD. They have an HD studio at moment but to listen to their promos they could convince a lot of viewers they already transmit HD. It might even help their negotiations for HD carriage with sky if they though viewers might get it for free & cancel their subscriptions!

TG4 are in similar boat. HD only on UPC. For very little extra cost (as they already transmit on saorsat) they could like RTE1 today transition to HD without doing same on saorview.

Even in locations where saroview is available, saorsat combined with FTA from 28e might be simpler solution than combo receivers or freesat/saorview TV solutions for non pay tv subscribers if saorsat was not without TV3, 3e & UTV.

khumbu wrote: »
    It doesn't need to compete with either sky or saorview. It can complement both.

eg. TV3 isn't on HD on any platform right now. Saorsat could possibly be very cheap way for them to transmit in HD. They have an HD studio at moment but to listen to their promos they could convince a lot of viewers they already transmit HD. It might even help their negotiations for HD carriage with sky if they though viewers might get it for free & cancel their subscriptions!

TG4 are in similar boat. HD only on UPC. For very little extra cost (as they already transmit on saorsat) they could like RTE1 today transition to HD without doing same on saorview.

Even in locations where saroview is available, saorsat combined with FTA from 28e might be simpler solution than combo receivers or freesat/saorview TV solutions for non pay tv subscribers if saorsat was not without TV3, 3e & UTV.

You're coming at it solely from a consumer's perspective - indeed you're still missing the point on cost. Because of the amount of potential viewers Saorsat is extremely expensive compared to all the other platforms.

You've also totally ignored the pint on dish size. For the vast majority of viewers dish size makes Saorsat a non-starter; and HD for one or two programmes they probably get in HD from the UK channels is not going to persuade anyone either.

In addition Sky would hardly be bothered by free TV3 in HD on Saorsat - the Irish channels are freely and easily available on Saorview as things stand. Sky's major selling point is sport and they would also feel their entertainment package is strong enough. They sell the Irish channels as "bonus" anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭Widescreen

They sell the Irish channels as "bonus" to make you think you're getting them for nothing-which couldn't be further from the truth.:(

Cancel sky in ireland, you get no Irish channels(but you get bbc etc!)

Cancel sky in the UK you still have loads of channels.

Great ain't it!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

The majority of channels people want to watch are Free to air. ALL UK terrestrial channels are free to air as well as many popular channels such as E4, Filmfour and loads of others. Unless you absolutely need Sky One, Sky Atlantic or Sky Arts almost everything else is free.

Netflix is a great cheap alternative for movies. The WWE Network does away with the need for sky pay per views and Sky sports for wrestling fans. All music videos featured on MTV, VH1 etc are free on youtube. Cartoons and other childrens entertainment is free on Cbeebies, CBBC etc

There has never been a better reason to cancel shelling out 40-120 euro per month for sky than now.

Sky is now a far cry from the cool, exciting and much needed service it was back in the early to late 90s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭corm500

Gonzo wrote: »
    The majority of channels people want to watch are Free to air. ALL UK terrestrial channels are free to air as well as many popular channels such as E4, Filmfour and loads of others. Unless you absolutely need Sky One, Sky Atlantic or Sky Arts almost everything else is free.

Netflix is a great cheap alternative for movies. The WWE Network does away with the need for sky pay per views and Sky sports for wrestling fans. All music videos featured on MTV, VH1 etc are free on youtube. Cartoons and other childrens entertainment is free on Cbeebies, CBBC etc

There has never been a better reason to cancel shelling out 40-120 euro per month for sky than now.

Sky is now a far cry from the cool, exciting and much needed service it was back in the early to late 90s.

Very true

Advertisement