Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What proportion of your miles are pleasure vs. commuting

Options
  • 22-03-2015 8:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭

Just back from a 60km ride purely for pleasure, especially on such a sunny day. Its my first of 2015 as it'd be rare enough I'd do it in the winter, only if its a cracking dry day. It got me wondering how many of my miles are for commuting or going to the shops and how many are for pleasure. I reckon in the summer its around 50-50 but then in colder weather its more like 90-10.

How is it for others?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,135 ✭✭✭prunudo

100% pleasure, although some days are more pleasurable than others. Today was a great day to be out on the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,222 ✭✭✭goodlad

Pretty much 80/20 for me all year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Peanut2011

So far I must say for me was 95% commute and 5% pleasure... but as cuircumstances change, bike commute will be reducing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Lucky enough to say my biking is 100% pleasure. But if I was commuting it would be 100% pleasure too....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Considering the fairly long spins we've had lately its almost 50/50, probably more 60/40. I have a hoot commuting on the bike though and sometimes take the scenic routes in the summer.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I'm about 80/20 - maybe more - but as Wonda said, I really enjoy my commute. I can take the car any time I want - but I really enjoy riding the bike every day and skipping all that traffic :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭ratracer

I'm afraid my biking is 100% commuting. I just don't get time to get out on pleasure spins. I was just talking about tbs same subject with my mate at work today!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,335 ✭✭✭bladespin

Pure pleasure, though not enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Seanie_H

Ah I'd say 95 commuting but those 5% rides are just so refreshing that it's almost worth the suffering... calling it suffering is a bit dramatic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

At the moment it's probably 100% commuting, but I still enjoy getting the spin. My commute is at night and early morning but I still enjoy it. The weather hasn't helped the last few months, but now that Spring is here I'll be planning pleasure spins for weekends.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭Alkers

Almost all commuting as of late

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭batman_oh

0% commuting for the past 7 years or so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

All my miles are pleasure. 300km a week commuting to work and then around 200km at the weekend, sometimes more.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Wossack

95% pleasurable commmute :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

batman_oh wrote: »
    0% commuting for the past 7 years or so

How so??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭batman_oh

Faith+1 wrote: »
    How so??

I dont commute on the bike? Not sure where the confusion is!
    I only take it out for spins and trips. I get to work and shops etc a different way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

50/50 commuting & pleasure

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

batman_oh wrote: »
    I dont commute on the bike? Not sure where the confusion is!
    I only take it out for spins and trips. I get to work and shops etc a different way

Thought you won the lotto and didn't have to work!

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭The_Chap

bladespin wrote: »
    Pure pleasure, though not enough.

this + 1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

100% commute / a to b. Commute is boring and tedious - Shankill/Greystones to Leixlip. 90% motorway and dual carriageway.
    Been doing it so long now I don't ever take the bike out for a spin, just associate it with the commute.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

100% commute / a to b. Commute is boring and tedious - Shankill/Greystones to Leixlip. 90% motorway and dual carriageway.
    Been doing it so long now I don't ever take the bike out for a spin, just associate it with the commute.

If I lived in that area of the city I'd be taking even more pleasure rides than I do now, you've got all of the Wicklow mountains and coast on your doorstep. Traffic light free and relatively empty roads with great views, get yourself out there on the next sunny day off :)

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭szatan84

Im exactly the same. Arklow to Bray and back everyday, can't be bothered to ride on weekend as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Ayrtonf7

Community pretty much 100% Most of the time its grand and enjoyable but when weather conditions are against you I often question the choice of riding 2 wheels over 4. Then I normally hit a pile of traffic and filter around it and well thats my doubts gone hah!

Good topic OP

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭landmarkjohn

100% "pleasure"

Had to put in the quote marks as we just rode from Galway to Limerick and it was pretty windy so felt more like a battle for survival!

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭ambasite

99% commute. In slow urban traffic. Ideal for a Fireblade.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,040 ✭✭✭BKtje

Seeing as the bike is my only form of transport and I'm living in a small city in the pre alps I use it for getting around everywhere. Even the ride to football training is through some beautiful countryside so I guess it's 100% choiceless pleasure :D

I generally walk or cycle to work :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Commute to work this morning was 100% pleasure even if it was mostly motorway miles. Roads were dry and traffic was medium/ light with the schools off so there was enough room to have a bit of fun filtering without having to second guess every manoeuvre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Unfortunately mostly commuting although I get to ride out with the lads a bit.

Commuting can be fun too, throw in a few wheelies, traffic light drag races ~ that kinda sh*t to stir up the craic otherwise commuting is a chore for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭KTR1C

95% pleasure these days. I don't work that far from home so no point in bring the bike in.

• Advertisement
Advertisement