Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Twelve Bens routes & access issues

Options
  • 11-03-2015 4:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭

I'd like to get up to the Twelve Bens some weekend in the near future and do a medium length hike or two (say in the 15 to 20k range). I've been told however there have been some access issues recently - does anyone know what these are? And could anyone suggest some good routes?

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,186 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Can't comment on access issues so hopefully someone else will chime in with information in that regard but in terms of routes I would recommend the Glencoaghan Horseshoe which covers more or less the southern half of the Bens. It's a long day but well worth it.

Decent enough route description here: http://www.summitpost.org/the-glencoaghan-horseshoe/164780

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭tphase

Don't know of any recent access issues, there's a private/no trespassing sign on the road into Gleninagh but the last time I did that route (long time ago now), the farmer at the end of the valley had no problem with us walking through

+1 for the Glencoaghan horseshoe, but needs two cars or a bike to avoid a road walk at the end. If doing it on your own, start at Benlettery so most of the road section will be downhill.

A few other suggestion

Start/end at the forestry entrance in the Inagh Valley
    Derryclare and Bencorr. From Bencorr you've a choice of ridges to descend, depending on how long you want to walk

Start/end about a mile west of the Benlettery hostel, there's a spot with plenty of parking.
    Benlettery, Bengower and Benglenisky

Start/end at the entrance to Kylemore farm, about 1/2 mile west of Kylemore abbey.
    2 options, the Mweelin loop is the shorter of the 2. Knockbrack, Benbrack and Benbaun (the smaller one) with about a mile of road back to the start.
    For a longer circuit, go further in the valley to do Bencullagh, Muckanaght, Benbrack and Knockbrack. This is the view of the valley from Diamond Hill

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

tphase wrote: »
    Don't know of any recent access issues, there's a private/no trespassing sign on the road into Gleninagh but the last time I did that route (long time ago now), the farmer at the end of the valley had no problem with us walking through

+1 for the Glencoaghan horseshoe, but needs two cars or a bike to avoid a road walk at the end. If doing it on your own, start at Benlettery so most of the road section will be downhill.

A few other suggestion

Start/end at the forestry entrance in the Inagh Valley
    Derryclare and Bencorr. From Bencorr you've a choice of ridges to descend, depending on how long you want to walk

Start/end about a mile west of the Benlettery hostel, there's a spot with plenty of parking.
    Benlettery, Bengower and Benglenisky

Start/end at the entrance to Kylemore farm, about 1/2 mile west of Kylemore abbey.
    2 options, the Mweelin loop is the shorter of the 2. Knockbrack, Benbrack and Benbaun (the smaller one) with about a mile of road back to the start.
    For a longer circuit, go further in the valley to do Bencullagh, Muckanaght, Benbrack and Knockbrack. This is the view of the valley from Diamond Hill

stunning pic

duckysauce wrote: »
    stunning pic
    not mine, found it on http://www.connemara.net
    Higher resolution pic from about the same vantage point here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Is there a slight "chance" that somebody may want do it in two days but with an overnight stay in a tent, on top of the mountains ?

• Advertisement

rolion wrote: »
    Is there a slight "chance" that somebody may want do it in two days but with an overnight stay in a tent, on top of the mountains ?
    Yes - I met a guy last year on the Glencoaghan horseshoe, fully loaded with camping gear. He intended to set up about 1/2 way around so probably at Mam Dearg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

rolion wrote: »

There might be but bear in mind that there is little water on top of the Glencoaghan horsehoe. You'll need to allow for that.

I saw some people shouted off the hill at the Derryclare end by the farmer last year. But it wasn't an access issue as such. These jokers had decided to bring their dogs with them up the hill - farmer wasn't having any of it - proper order.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

I'd think the horseshoe is a little too short to warrant camping, but you could consider the Mamturk challenge route which is nearby and more remote

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭hiddenmongoose

was considering an overnight or 2 myself down there ,Iv done a few day walks but would love to stay in the solitude for a night or 2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

The Glen Inagh valley and three of the 12 Bens are owed by the farmer mentioned earlier.

There have been ongoing access issues there for a long, long time.

In the past I've contacted him in advance and all was fine. Parked my car up in a gravel patch on his land and walked/climbed from there. A bit of consideration in that regard can go a long way.

Alternatively the Derryclare forest entrance is without issue.

• Advertisement
Advertisement