Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atari Ireland

Options
  • 12-02-2015 1:52pm

A post over on J+ reminded me about this article
    Its from this page
    http://riordanco.com/jimsblog/?page_id=594

In 1976, I started my first real business, albeit part-time, and named it Overnight Engineering. I started in my garage and still continued to work with Atari as well through 1979. The late George Opperman, Atari’s famous artist who designed many of our game graphics designed the logo for Overnight Engineering. Overnight Engineering’s mission was to provide quick-turnaround product design solutions for Silicon Valley companies in desperate and immediate need of retrofittable “fixes” for problems discovered after new product releases. We were in effect, inventing for a living, selling companies our solutions. Also in 1979 we moved to a larger facility. After pinball division shutdown, Atari continued to use our services, now as independent contractors. One of our first large scale contracts was the reorganization of a 30,000 square foot factory in Ardfinnan Ireland, just outside of Tipperary. They had been hired by Atari and were to be producing 100 arcade games per day, a mix of three types of cabinets, Atari Pinball Plantfor shipment to mainland Europe. They were failing miserably and able to produce only about 20 cabinets a day of two different types. They were contracted to produce a large stand-up arcade cabinet, a mid-sized stand-up arcade cabinet and a hexagonal sit-down restaurant/bar type “cocktail” cabinet. Atari management paid for my wife to join me (Lynn quit BofA and began work with me full time). Atari also paid for our young son Brett to be with us, and to be tutored by a college professor during the day while Lynn and I worked at the factory. When we arrived, the factory was laid out so poorly we were amazed. (On left is photo of the factory floor before I started)
    atari_pinball_plant3.jpg

Within only a few weeks we turned the factory around and began turning out 100 cabinets per day, then 125 per day. About 50 of each upright and 25 hexagonals per day. When I left we were making 151 per day, about 25 units more than the goal I was sent over to achieve.

(see photo below) Atari Pinball Plant That project for Atari in Ireland really launched our little business. And on our off time gave me a chance to see the hometowns of my mom’s ancestors in County Kerry and my dad’s ancestors in Inchigeela, County Cork. We even got some free excitement . . .While we were staying in Tipperary, the IRA came into town and robbed the bank!
    atari_pinball_plant4.jpg
    Project Scope:
    Atari had a contracted interest in a 30,000 square foot facility in Tipperary, Ireland that had been a kitchen cabinet factory and was (unsuccessfully) trying to change over to the production of video game cabinets. The factory, Murray Kitchens,a former kitchen cabinet factory, had contracted with Atari to produce two sizes of upright video game cabinets and a third hexagonal “cocktail table” game cabinet, at the original requested rate of 80 total cabinets per day and building up to 125 per day. Instead they were able to produce only 20 cabinets per day of one style of upright cabinet. The Riordan Company was brought in to bring production up to speed as quickly as possible. Atari’s mandate to Riordanco was to produce 125 per day of the three styles or close the factory. The exact words from Atari’s vice president were, “Jim, make it work or turn it into a Badminton court.” When we arrived at the plant, fresh off the plane , I was greeted by a room full of English engineers who, before even introducing themselves, asked sarcastically, “What makes you think you can do this any better than we are?” I said , “because I am making 500 a day in the states and my boss told me to either make this place perform or turn it into a badminton court, so I expect you gentlemen to either work with me or go buy some badminton racquets and I’ll be on the next plane back.” They had an immediate change of attitude and you can read their comments below.

Results:
    Within eight weeks’ time, the Riordan Company led team converted the factory to a new method of operation, with new assembly areas and techniques. We trained all personnel in the new techniques, and, after training, selected new group leaders. The changes resulting in the production of 151 cabinets per day, of three different styles. The additional 26 cabinets per day was well over the target of 125 that Riordanco was sent to achieve and resulted in additional earnings to Atari of over $1,000,000.00 per month.

What our Clients said:
    “I would like to commend Mr. James Riordan and the staff of Overnight Engineering (the Riordan Company) for outstanding work on a project recently completed for Atari Inc. The project consisted of solving problems associated with the fabrication and quality of Atari cabinets at our factory in Tipperary, Ireland. During a reasonably short period Mr. Riordan and his staff accomplished an inordinate amount of work and met all project goals within the allocated timeframe. I would be happy to recommend to others the services of Mr. Riordan and Overnight Engineering.”
    Atari
    Noah L. Anglin
    Vice President
    Engineering/Manufacturing
    Coin-Op Division

“In his time here at Murray Kitchens, Mr. Riordan has displayed great energy, determination and decisiveness in overcoming all problems. He has not hesitated to get involved in any work required and demonstrated leadership of a high order and has established a good relationship with his staff. We are pleased with his achievements in the short period he has been involved with our company and would have no hesitation in recommending him for any similar project.”
    W.E. Swift
    Director
    Murray Kitchens Ltd. Ireland

“Mr. Jim Riordan was engaged by Atari to undertake an in-depth survey of our cabinet making facility here in Tipperary and to recommend whatever changes he thought necessary in our production, assembly, and materials handling systems. This had become necessary due to the fact that we had changed over from the manufacture of kitchen furniture to video game cabinets. To say that he was successful would be both an understatement and a lack of gratitude for what turned out to be a remarkably impressive performance. Not the least of his achievements was his ability to “sell” both himself and his ideas to an extremely conservative Board of Directors, a task which I myself as Plant Manager had unfortunately failed to achieve. He has what I can only describe as a fanatical approach to getting the job done, an attitude which we Europeans sometimes find a little abrasive, but, after watching him at work, I can only admire.”
    R.J. Carr
    Plant Manager
    Murray Kitchens Ltd. Ireland

“Jim
    “I have been intending to write to you for the past two weeks to express my appreciation (and admiration) for the Consultancy Project you completed at our Ardfinnan Plant, at the end of June. The changes you initiated are continuing to bear fruit and will continue to do so for some time to come.”
    Jack Murphy
    Managing Director & Chairman
    Murray Kitchens Ltd.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Quality line :

What makes you think you can do this any better than we are?” I said , “because I am making 500 a day in the states and my boss told me to either make this place perform or turn it into a badminton court, so I expect you gentlemen to either work with me or go buy some badminton racquets and I’ll be on the next plane back.”

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Los Lobos

Savage

• Registered Users Posts: 16 CuriousYellow

Thank you!

Advertisement