Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst/Funniest Irish Language Signage

Options
  • 04-02-2015 5:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭

Having read about the latest Irish Language phuk-up on a public sign,i.e.
    'Baby Changing Area-LEANBH CHEANTAR ATÁ AG ATHRÚ"
    (if that actually means anything it could be something like 'The Area Baby That Is Changing'),it instantly reminded me of others which I either heard about or saw with my own eyes,mar shampla:

Waiting Room
    Seomra Ag Fanacht (This Room Is Waiting)

No Road Markings
    Ná Marcáil Bóthar (Do Not Mark The Road)

Íosa,Muire 's Iósaf.
    Unfortunately there are a lot more like these and worse-so which other ones have ye seen or heard about,which made ye both laugh and cringe at the same time??

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Grand idea for a thread! I haven't seen any other good ones around Limerick recently, apart from the Ná Marcáil Bóthar sign. Must keep an eye out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭An Riabhach

An File wrote: »
    Grand idea for a thread! I haven't seen any other good ones around Limerick recently, apart from the Ná Marcáil Bóthar sign. Must keep an eye out.

Yep,the same one was here in Nenagh a few years ago.Even when I emailed the town council telling them that it should be Bóthar Gan Mharcanna,they didn't change it-instead they just took it down.

I might have to stand corrected on this one,but I remember reading on another site forum years ago that FÉACH CEART was once painted on the road in Harcourt Street in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭FWVT

Seasan wrote: »
    Yep,the same one was here in Nenagh a few years ago.Even when I emailed the town council telling them that it should be Bóthar Gan Mharcanna,they didn't change it-instead they just took it down.

I might have to stand corrected on this one,but I remember reading on another site forum years ago that FÉACH CEART was once painted on the road in Harcourt Street in Dublin.

Well looking correctly is also a good piece of advice, but not quite what they meant. :-)

Okay,I know this one isn't Irish-this one is actually Welsh Gaelic(Gymraeg).
    But it's gotta deserve a mention....this one's a killer:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/7702913.stm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭craoltoir

Agus cad faoi litreacha amú? Bealach an Iathair: Western Way (in aice le Baile Phib i mBaile Átha Cliath.

Advertisement