Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unexplained sound in Clontarf/Killester area, evenings and late at night

Options
  • 04-02-2015 12:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭

Has anyone heard the unusual sound tonight in Clontarf/Killester. It's a loud C-E-G-C musical progression, playing repeatedly since about 7pm, like a warning signal of some kind. It's driving our family and neighbours demented and not coming from any residential house.

It also happened about two weeks ago on a Wednesday night.

I don't want to waste the guards time ringing them if there's a simple explanation but the sound is very widespread and prominent.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,239 ✭✭✭secman

Apologies, I'll turn it down a tad..........

• Registered Users Posts: 10,232 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Close encounters on the North Side.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭cruais

Has anyone heard the unusual sound tonight in Clontarf/Killester. It's a loud C-E-G-C musical progression, playing repeatedly since about 7pm, like a warning signal of some kind. It's driving our family and neighbours demented and not coming from any residential house.

It also happened about two weeks ago on a Wednesday night.

I don't want to waste the guards time ringing them if there's a simple explanation but the sound is very widespread and prominent.

Thought it was more of a F-A-C-E musical progression myself, 4 4 time and in the key of d sharp

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Have you tried soloing over it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

I thought I was going mad! What the fcuk is it?!?!?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Very odd OP,

My eyebrow is raised in fascination.

Docked ship?
    Sports venue nearby?

Is it a one off or constantly going?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

Very odd OP,

My eyebrow is raised in fascination.

Docked ship?
    Sports venue nearby?

Is it a one off or constantly going?

Its like a doorbell chime, sort of. Only happening in the evenings, pretty much constantly for about a week!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

I thought I was going mad! What the fcuk is it?!?!?

I have no idea and we drove around the area tonight to try and identify the source to no avail. Last time it happened we erroneously blamed neighbours. It seems to be heard from end Raheny as far as Fairview. It is very unsettling.

The poster above who cracked the Close Encounters joke is not far off, it's actually quite a similar sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

How often do you hear it?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

And so it begins, they're coming

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Its like a doorbell chime, sort of. Only happening in the evenings, pretty much constantly for about a week!

Any building work nearby (roads, pipes, etc)

Or how about large electrical pylons? One could be damaged and humming or chiming.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭nerobert

My curiosity has peaked, do tell us more op.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,405 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

Time to crack each other's heads open and feast on the goo inside.

Glazers Out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Could be a motor in a sewage plant or a wind turbine rotor or something like that. There's one five kilometres from me I can hear plainly in the right conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

Any building work nearby (roads, pipes, etc)

Or how about large electrical pylons? One could be damaged and humming or chiming.

Good suggestion but the sound is too widespread. There's no sense of direction in the sound to be able to pinpoint a location.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭Duff

Swamp gas reflecting of a Chinese lantern.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,533 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I heard this loads when I lived in Clontarf last year! Could never figure out wtf it was.

Lived on Oulton Road if that helps triangulate Its location :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Un Croissant

Earlier I heard a dogs whining coming from the wall. We have no dog and neither do the neighbours.

Not sure if it's a dog whining OP but it's likely we are both already dead and boards is our heaven/hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

Does it sound anything like this video from fairview in 2012?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,237 ✭✭✭✭endacl

cruais wrote: »
    Thought it was more of a F-A-C-E musical progression myself, 4 4 time and in the key of d sharp

Fail. In D sharp, that'd be Fx - A# - Cx - E#. Although Eb would make more sense...

Didn't know your sharps and flats, and failed to spot the more sensible enharmonic alternative? Back to grade 1 with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Is it a secret Garth Brooks concert?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 67 ✭✭johnohanlon

Brian Boru playing tricks on you? He was slaughtered by Vikings in Clontarf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭CaptainInsano

endacl wrote: »
    Fail. In D sharp, that'd be Fx - A# - Cx - E#. Although Eb would make more sense...

Didn't know your sharps and flats, and failed to spot the more sensible enharmonic alternative? Back to grade 1 with you.

It's funny because every note he picked for his joke was wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Moved from After Hours. Please remember the new charter that takes effect.

Mod.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,733 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Cunny-Funt wrote: »
    Does it sound anything like this video from fairview in 2012?

not sure if serious - the last 30 seconds of that video are of a guy teeing off and his mate laughing at him for some reason

I'm in Raheny and havent heard that noise, but.. i did frequently hear a low frequency "womping" type of noise that would transition between high and low seemlessly every second or two then fade out and stop entirely or become inaudible to me, could hear it through double glazed windows and it was generally late at night and very little in the way of wind, after 11pm to around 2 or 3am would have been the times it manifested

Sounded to me like a generator humming but it would have to have been an incredibly large genny to carry sound like that i reckon.

haven't heard it in at least 6 months though, it's possible that it was a generator being run in the saint annes park nurseries but highly unlikely that the sound would carry so far even on a still night.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Sports venue nearby?

Sounds most likely explanation.
    Perhaps the Rugby ground? See if they've training / a match on Wednesdays.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

The video is serious though he only made it to show friends hence the end bit. (Forgot about that)

The lack of explanation of the sound has just made it so much stranger as time goes on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭asteroids over berlin

Port tunnel - some lads doing maintenance ......?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,278 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I'm in Raheny and havent heard that noise, but.. i did frequently hear a low frequency "womping" type of noise that would transition between high and low seemlessly every second or two then fade out and stop entirely or become inaudible to me, could hear it through double glazed windows and it was generally late at night and very little in the way of wind, after 11pm to around 2 or 3am would have been the times it manifested
    Power stations in the docks.

Advertisement