Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

100 marathons in 100 days

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

I know a few people that signed up for the Phoenix Park - Balbriggan one when it was released first. The only cost mentioned was €20 but then after a few days the cost jumped to €49 for anyone to register. I know it's for charity but it is a bit steep for a largely self sufficient run.

Seems to be a huge undertaking they are taking on just to organise the whole thing. Good luck to them anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

This is startin in a couple of weeks .has anybody taken the plunge or doin a few

ultraman1 wrote: »
    This is startin in a couple of weeks .has anybody taken the plunge or doin a few

I know a lot of people from Balbriggan had signed up for the 2nd Marathon from Phoenix Park to Balbriggan.

They got a mail the other day saying it was moved to Malahide Castle, would entail 4 loops, no chip timing, medals etc. Drinks at the start/finish of each loop. I'd be pretty pissed off if I had signed up for it.

Also I believe the next day from Balbriggan to Navan is now being run in the Newry Marathon. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

F*ckin gangsters. :pac:

pistol_75 wrote: »
    I know a lot of people from Balbriggan had signed up for the 2nd Marathon from Phoenix Park to Balbriggan.

They got a mail the other day saying it was moved to Malahide Castle, would entail 4 loops, no chip timing, medals etc. Drinks at the start/finish of each loop. I'd be pretty pissed off if I had signed up for it.

Also I believe the next day from Balbriggan to Navan is now being run in the Newry Marathon. :rolleyes:

Now moved to the phoenix park apparently for the 2nd Marathon :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Has anyone actually looked up this 'charity'? Shoddy website, shoddy facebook page...does the charity the 100 in 100 is for actually exist? Is it a registered charity?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

The first 2 marathons are no longer supported now, just running and supporting yourself.

Oh, so this is not for a charity...

Oh, so this is not for a charity...
    Could be a not for profit company..

100 MARATHONS UPDATE
    Hello Everyone, due to circumstances we can't control, Day #1 and Day #2 of The 100 Marathons are being scaled back to self sufficient marathons.
    In other words, we are proceeding with the 100 Marathons but none of them will be supported events. Except where we are joining other "official" events such as Derry, Newry, Quadrathon, and others. All who join us for an "unofficial" run will need to be experienced runners and be totally self sufficient.
    I understand that these revised arrangements will bring further disappointment and will not suit everyone, as some of you are novice runners and need support, but we have no choice but to proceed this way.
    Our intention was to organise a certain number of the 100 marathons officially and have them fully supported, but unfortunately that's not possible now for a number of reasons.
    REFUND
    I realise many of you will be disappointed (and others more than simply disappointed) and will require a refund. I regret that we need to make this decision, but it is best for all concerned.
    A self sufficient marathon won't suit many of you so if you can not run due to this change then you can request a full refund on your email from Eventbrite.
    T-SHIRTS & MEDALS
    T-Shirts and medals will be available for those who still want to run with us and who have already paid an entry. Going forward, if you want to come and run with us at any time during the next 3 months then we'd love you to do so.
    If you would like to run with us at any point in the coming months we just ask you to make a small contribution of your choice on the day. If you would like a medal or t-shirt these are available at a cost of €25 for a medal or t-shirt, or €50 for medal & t-shirt.
    Fingal County Council refused permission to run at Malahide Castle on Day #2 so we are running at The Phoenix Park. If you can join us we are meeting at 08:30 at The Hole In The Wall on Blackhorse Avenue.
    THE COURSE
    The 10k loop course will not be marked however there will be a cyclist leading you out to show you the route. There are 4 minor road crossings on the route.
    WATER/FOOD
    You bring your own water and food, although there may be some limited water and sports drinks available. You can leave your water and food at the start/finish point and refuel on each lap. There will be someone maning the start finish so your stuff will be safe.
    TIMING
    You will need to keep your own time.
    SAFETY/INSURANCE
    You run at your own risk.
    MEETING ARRANGEMENTS
    Day #1 Friday 22nd May, and Day #2 Saturday 23rd May we are meeting at 08:30 at The Hole In The Wall
    I know for many of you especially those from Ballbriggan Road Runners, there is disappointment and frustration with the changes and that's understandable and regretful. I can assure you that it was not by intention and none are more disappointed than I am.
    We will go forward non the less and hope that this big starting stumble will be the only one we make on the journey.
    See you at the start please God.
    All the best,
    Larry, Steven, Deirdre & Joe
    Questions, harsh or pleasant comments and opinions or otherwise are welcome, you can email us here; admin@lauramaguirefoundation.com

• Advertisement

Could be a not for profit company..

It's not a registered charity with revenue in Ireland at the moment.

It's registered with the companies office, set up in 2013 and set up as a not for profit organisation their site says.

They market themselves as a charitable organisation on their facebook page...why would you set up as a not for profit rather than a charity, if you are 'doing it for the children'?

Foundation is a word normally associated with charities...strange to stick that on the name of a company.

First one on tomorow in the park...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

First one on tomorow in the park...

If rumours I am hearing are true the guys have no permission or insurance and it won't be going ahead. We'll see......

menoscemo wrote: »
    If rumours I am hearing are true the guys have no permission or insurance and it won't be going ahead. We'll see......
    Just seen below leg it for liver us on aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 6,623 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

I see this appears to have kicked off.

Anyone done one, what's it like?

TbL

what's it like?

TbL
    Similar to a training run in d park,but dodging the opw

• Registered Users Posts: 6,623 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Similar to a training run in d park,but dodging the opw

Tnx UM,

Don't do bookface and there's not much up on their website.

Many doing it?

TbL

Tnx UM,

Don't do bookface and there's not much up on their website.

Many doing it?

TbL

bout 2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭DogSlySmile

Fair play to these lads but jaysus their fb page is getting repetitive. Only 15 days in with 85 to go.

• Advertisement

Fair play to these lads but jaysus their fb page is getting repetitive. Only 15 days in with 85 to go.

No updates from Larry at all this week. He ran 6 hrs in Derry last weekend with an injury and hasn't posted anything since. A few people say they didn't see him running in the PP at all last week but no official confirmation if he is still going or not.

Stevey apparently going well though, according to himself he has sped up and is running sub 4s all week. Fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

Any links to their garmin/watch info? Interested to see their pacing strategy.

Any links to their garmin/watch info? Interested to see their pacing strategy.

No, just a video from Stevey every day saying he ran a marathon in xxx time. I guess we just have to trust him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

menoscemo wrote: »
    No, just a video from Stevey every day saying he ran a marathon in xxx time. I guess we just have to trust him.

Jaysus. If I completed a marathon a day for almost two weeks (so far) I would be screaming from the rooftops about it! Odd that there is no info on the runs, strava or whatever. Huge achievement.

Turns out Larry hasn't ran since last Tuesday due to injury but he hopes to get back into later this week.
    Not sure if he is planning to do doubles to make up for marathons missed or just not do 100 at all.
    They seems very scatty with actual solid info as this was only teased out of him in comments on one of his videos.....

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Burgman

ThisRegard wrote: »
    It's not a registered charity with revenue in Ireland at the moment.

It's registered with the companies office, set up in 2013 and set up as a not for profit organisation their site says.
    They market themselves as a charitable organisation on their facebook page...why would you set up as a not for profit rather than a charity, if you are 'doing it for the children'?

Foundation is a word normally associated with charities...strange to stick that on the name of a company.

A lack of knowledge can, unfairly, give rise to people making assumptions that are not correct. So, some facts - from the public record only, as I don't know any of the people or the organisation. We should try to be fair.

1. There are many charities that are incorporated as limited companies that are described as not for profit. That means only that they do not seek to make profits for shareholders. The company in this case (The Laura Maguire Memorial Foundation Limited - LMMFL for short) is a company that is limited by guarantee which is the form usually used by charities and voluntary organisations to give themselves the protection of limited liability. It means that there are no shareholders. The inclusion of the word "foundation" is irrelevant. There are lots of other charities that have the word "foundation" in their title, e.g. The Children's Medical and Research Foundation at Crumlin Hospital - which is also a company limited by guarantee.

2. Up to recently, companies were required to have an objects clause and the objects clause for the Laura Maguire Foundation states that "the main objects for which the company is established, to operate on a not for profit basis, a charitable organisation raising funds to aid children's recovery from illness". Probably fairly similar to many charities.

3. The company is not yet registered as a charity with the Revenue Commissioners according to the Revenue website. That is not necessarily a problem as registration with the Revenue is relevant only if the charity wishes to avail of tax exemption on its surplus or if it wishes to get tax refunds on donations.

4. The Charities Regulatory Authority says: "Any organisation wishing to operate as a charity in the Republic of Ireland must apply to us to be added to the Register." The Laura Maguire Foundation does not appear to be on it, although the CRA is very new and wouldn't be well-known yet.

5. The company has filed various returns at the Companies Registration Office. The one thing that raises a bit of a red flag, and it may just be an administrative hiccup by someone, is that the "audited" accounts do not appear to be signed by anyone - the name of the firm and the signature space are both blank. There is a balance sheet - but it is completely blank, with no assets, no liabilities and no reserves. This suggests that it had no income or expenditure in the period up to 30 April 2014, its first year. It might all be correct but it looks a bit odd and the CRO should not have accepted unsigned accounts for filing.

I am not at all saying that there is anything wrong here. In fact, I think it is highly likely that the people behind the organisation are honest and have good intention. They probably have a bit of regulatory housekeeping to deal with, at least. My point is that people can make remarks that don't convey the full picture. Make up your mind on the facts, not on innuendo, whether that was intended or not.

I was following this from the start,it seems a little un- transparent for my liking,there does not seem to be any stats,garmin or otherwise ,other than one of the guys posting videos eating raw eggs and saying he had just ran a marathon a bit faster than the previous one,the advertised marathon venues(phenoix park)on the FB page dont seem to be happening with one of the runners just running around armagh,the other one has dropped out,so i would assume his taking part has finished.Its claimed they have been planning this for the past 5 years,seems a bit shabby to me and somewhat unbelievable....To be clear im not insinuating any underhand stuff or fiddlydiddlying by the organisers,.

Burgman wrote: »
    A lack of knowledge can, unfairly, give rise to people making assumptions that are not correct.

All I said was that it wasn't a registered charity, which is factually accurate based on the list of registered charities, and that it's registered as a NPO just like you said, nothing more.

My post was just the facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭eoinín

I was following this from the start,it seems a little un- transparent for my liking,there does not seem to be any stats,garmin or otherwise ,other than one of the guys posting videos eating raw eggs and saying he had just ran a marathon a bit faster than the previous one,the advertised marathon venues(phenoix park)on the FB page dont seem to be happening with one of the runners just running around armagh,the other one has dropped out,so i would assume his taking part has finished.Its claimed they have been planning this for the past 5 years,seems a bit shabby to me and somewhat unbelievable....To be clear im not insinuating any underhand stuff or fiddlydiddlying by the organisers,.

Why not go and run with them (or him) one of the days if this is bothering you. If I was trying to fake something like this I wouldn't be pleadingly inviting the general public to come run with me, as Stevey is doing in every video.

• Advertisement

eoinín wrote: »
    Why not go and run with them (or him) one of the days if this is bothering you. If I was trying to fake something like this I wouldn't be pleadingly inviting the general public to come run with me, as Stevey is doing in every video.

On Sunday he pleaded with everyone to come run with him the next day in the phoenix park, then on Monday he released a video saying he had been running that day around his home town of Armagh and gave no details of where he would be today..........

Advertisement